Equest Pramox

tankgirl1

Visit site
I wormed my ponies with pramox last night and this evening my mare was very quiet, and something about her facial expression suggested she was uncomfortable.

She's already on 2 scoops of protexin a day in her bucket, is there anything else I can add in to help her?

tankgirl1

Visit site
Keep an eye on her I had a mare that was quite unwell after pramox and have known a few horses to have reactions to it, I won't use it on my horses now just because of the experience with it. I hope she is back to her normal self tomorrow.

Thanks, I have ordered her a tube of protexin quick fix to arrive tomorrow in the hope it might help

tankgirl1

Visit site
The vet assured me more than once that it was the correct thing to use because her tapeworm test came back moderate to high - I'm starting to regret it now :(

Leo Walker

Visit site
It was the right thing to use. She could be reacting to anything, or nothing. My mares still cycling regularly so could be season related. Or the removal of the tape worms could have left her feeling a bit off. Just monitor her. I am sure she will be fine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you need to do tape again in future you can use Strongid P at double dose. It contains only one, different, drug and might be better tolerated. I hope she's feeling better today.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sometimes if the worm burden is high giving them a wormer disrupts it all so it could just be that, I personally wouldn't use it again as ycbm has said there are plenty of other wormers to use that are milder on the gut.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I don't use it after having a horse colic afterwards and another one appeared lethargic and had loose droppings. Neither has never reacted to any other wormers. Fortunately other brands are available so it's not a problem.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sometimes if the worm burden is high giving them a wormer disrupts it all so it could just be that, I personally wouldn't use it again as ycbm has said there are plenty of other wormers to use that are milder on the gut.

There are but then you get into the realms of worming them 2 or 3 times when once would have done it.

I've never had an issue with Pramox. I know people say they have, but it must be very hard to know if its an issue with Pramox or an issue with a high worm burden and it being effective.

Theres also know resistance to almost all wormers now as well. Pramox is one of the ones with the least resistance issues. Not sure whats going to happen when none of them work anymore though!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you need to do tape again in future you can use Strongid P at double dose. It contains only one, different, drug and might be better tolerated. I hope she's feeling better today.

I use Strongid double dose for tapes on my 2 mini shetlands as I will not use Pramox on them. Nearly lost one a few years ago to colic and when tried again 2 years ago it happened again - the Pramox is just too 'strong' for them

turkana

Visit site
I had a very sick horse a few years ago that needed worming & my vet told me not to use promox, as she wasn't well enough. I have used it since but only on a fit well horse, I double dosed with strongid this autumn

hihosilver

Visit site
yes I wouldn't use it either as heard that some horses can react to it. Have one that had stage 3 and 4 ulcers which were successfully treated. I wouldn't want to risk it although it an effective wormer. I use a double dose of strongid p as well.

ycbm

Visit site
I use Strongid double dose for tapes on my 2 mini shetlands as I will not use Pramox on them. Nearly lost one a few years ago to colic and when tried again 2 years ago it happened again - the Pramox is just too 'strong' for them

Praziquantel (pramox) is too strong for a lot of horses, especially when mixed with another drug and particularly when mixed with moxidectin.

paddy555

Visit site
There are but then you get into the realms of worming them 2 or 3 times when once would have done it.

I've never had an issue with Pramox. I know people say they have, but it must be very hard to know if its an issue with Pramox or an issue with a high worm burden and it being effective.

Theres also know resistance to almost all wormers now as well. Pramox is one of the ones with the least resistance issues. Not sure whats going to happen when none of them work anymore though!

yes but quicker to worm twice (once for tapes and once for encysted) than to have to deal with a poorly horse that could involve a vet's bill and time looking after it.

There have been too many problems after pramox. I would never use it.

ycbm

Visit site
I use it with ivermectin in horses I think are strong and well. I will never use it with moxidectin after having met a company rep on a train who told me just how many adverse reactions they get reported, and also from hearing how many barefoot horses go footie after having it. If in doubt I would always double dose with pyrantel embonate (Strongid P). For people who dont know, that's double dose all at the same time, not two days in a row.

SEL

Visit site
If you're still having problems OP your vet can give steroids to calm the inflammation in the stomach. It's probably from shifting the tapeworm burden.

I've used Equest Pramox on lots of horses without issue (i used to have the fun job of running a yard worming programme) but the vets did advise that with anything we suspected had a worm burden to use a more gentle wormer then pramox at a later date.

Leo Walker

Visit site
yes but quicker to worm twice (once for tapes and once for encysted) than to have to deal with a poorly horse that could involve a vet's bill and time looking after it.

There have been too many problems after pramox. I would never use it.

But has this ever actually happened? Lots of people claiming they had issues, but how can they possibly know its the wormer as opposed to the worm burden? I've seen someone today confidently stating that as the pramox is stored in the muscles, it will cause the horse to have muscular pain.

Surely if all these horses are having problems then it should be reported to the wormer manufacturer the same as vaccinations, that way at least it can be looked into and monitored

ycbm

Visit site
I met a rep from a company that sells a moxidectin/prazinquantel wormer and they told me that because of the number of reports they get of adverse reactions they would never use it on their own horses. Ever since, I have used praziquantel alone or with ivermectin, never with moxidectin.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
But has this ever actually happened? Lots of people claiming they had issues, but how can they possibly know its the wormer as opposed to the worm burden? I've seen someone today confidently stating that as the pramox is stored in the muscles, it will cause the horse to have muscular pain.

Surely if all these horses are having problems then it should be reported to the wormer manufacturer the same as vaccinations, that way at least it can be looked into and monitored
There have been many recorded instances in small ponies in particular, when they have not had a heavy worm burden. The SPSBS doesn't recco the use in miniatures. (Or didnt 3 yrs ago when I last checked).
My 2 colics were reported in by my vet, 1 had autopsy and that one was virtually worm free.

TPO

Visit site
For those of you that dont use pramox what worming programme so you follow?

I do FEC and then worm with pramox once a year for tape and encysted red worm.

It's always worked for me and with a variety of horses however I do personally know someone who lost their horse to colic after worming with it.

Like I said it's always worked for me but always willing to learn different ways and consider options

TIA 😊

SEL

Visit site
I used to use Equitape when it was available then Equest.

Did a double dose of Strongid P this year.

In a yard of 40 horses I had 2 reactions. One was my own (she's always had a sensitive stomach) & the other was a little cob who I suspect was wormy and bounced back after Quickfix.

Reactions: TPO

paddy555

Visit site
For those of you that dont use pramox what worming programme so you follow?

I do FEC and then worm with pramox once a year for tape and encysted red worm.

It's always worked for me and with a variety of horses however I do personally know someone who lost their horse to colic after worming with it.

Like I said it's always worked for me but always willing to learn different ways and consider options

TIA 😊

FEC beg mar, beg June, beg Sept and if anything I use ivermectin.
then tapeworm test Sept and treat if needed and Equest (Moxidectin) beg Jan for encysted.

Equi

Visit site
I met a rep from a company that sells a moxidectin/prazinquantel wormer and they told me that because of the number of reports they get of adverse reactions they would never use it on their own horses. Ever since, I have used praziquantel alone or with ivermectin, never with moxidectin.

My local worming supplier said the sale of equest has dropped. Many are now using worm counts and targeted worming with equitape or the like. It’s very good to see really. I use worm counts and double dose strongid-p at frost for my littles and counts and equitape for big man. Never had high burdens in any of them bar the newest one who had totally unknown worming history.

I found a really cheap (£5 per horse) worm count company. They were very efficient. Will be using again.

Scientifeq if you’re interested.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
My local worming supplier said the sale of equest has dropped. Many are now using worm counts and targeted worming with equitape or the like. It’s very good to see really. I use worm counts and double dose strongid-p at frost for my littles and counts and equitape for big man. Never had high burdens in any of them bar the newest one who had totally unknown worming history.

I found a really cheap (£5 per horse) worm count company. They were very efficient. Will be using again.

Scientifeq if you’re interested.

Isn't Equitape out of production now?

I used to use it, have had to order Strongid-P (will double dose) instead.