Equestrian brands manufactured in Uk or close by?

now_loves_mares

Visit site
As I "invest" heavily in horse stuff, I'd really like to avoid Chinese/Far East manufactured goods. But brands genuinely made even partially in the UK or EU are hard to come by.

I don't mind paying more, but struggling to identify which brands are ok? I know it's hard to tell, for example I'm fairly sure my thermatex was made in the uk, less sure if the fabric itself was. But I've got to start somewhere I guess.

Any knowledge out there to start me off?

Renvers

Visit site
I have rugs from Lavenham and Teviot Equine - all made in the UK (as are Thermatex and Harpley Equestrian stuff) and they are great.

My riding gloves come from Chester Jeffries (some are made in China but the ones I like are still made in England). I get saddlepads from Morpheus or Griffin Nuumed - all made in the UK.

Horseware told me that all Rambo turnouts are made in Ireland - although all their other ranges Rhino, Amigo and all stable rugs are made in China.

Ooh, and my Hunter replacements are made by Century Boots (or Century Dip-tech) and are made in uk by the firm who used to make Hunters when Hunters were made to last.

There are lots out there, often small companies who could use the support of UK buyers. They do tend to cost more but travel far fewer miles and are, from my experience much better quality and more durable.

Happy shopping!

Tess Love

Visit site
Can recommend Morpheus saddle pads too, nice quality and good customer service. Shame more isn't made in this country, hard to even find a local shop selling equestrian products full stop near me have to rely on online shops mainly.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'd like to know what brands are made in the UK and Ireland too. Not just packaged here but actually designed and made here with UK textiles and leather etc.
Aerborn is a British company, isn't it ?

Tash88

Visit site
Are Sabre bridles (and their other leatherwork) made in the UK? I know they use English leather so I'm guessing they are.

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Thanks for responses so far. I could have sworn my Rambo Optimo said it was made in China but will check again.

A few other ideas to check too. I would buy EU too. Must hate the quality of the Far East stuff, without going into the myriad of ethical issues.

longdog

Visit site
For riding clothes, Equetech do a lot made in Britain. Also Bucas rugs are mostly made in Ireland, Jeffries bridle work is largely UK made, most saddlery companies are UK eg Barnsby, Harry Dabbs, Patrick saddles, Thorowgoods, Kent & Masters, Fairfax, Loxley & Bliss saddles. For hats both Charles Owen & Champion are uk made. Body protectors from How's, Airowear & Rodney Powell. It is harder to find footwear as most are made in China. Any one add any more?

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
I'm sorry I'm not adding a lot of value in terms of an answer but it really bugs me how easy it is for something to say 'Made in the UK' on it. Scissors have to have a minuscule amount of british steel to be labelled 'british steel'. Clippers labelled 'Made in UK' when they are only assembled in the UK, but are made up of parts from bongo bongo land... Annoying! Rant over.

sunleychops

Visit site
I'm sorry I'm not adding a lot of value in terms of an answer but it really bugs me how easy it is for something to say 'Made in the UK' on it. Scissors have to have a minuscule amount of british steel to be labelled 'british steel'. Clippers labelled 'Made in UK' when they are only assembled in the UK, but are made up of parts from bongo bongo land... Annoying! Rant over.

Bongo Bongo Land :D

Herts05

Visit site
Pro Tector riding hats and Equino Chaps to name but two

Great thread, would be great to have a high profile website that all these could be listed on

now_loves_mares

Visit site

You are right. But we've got to start somewhere!

Sabre Leather

Visit site
British manufactures cannot hope to ever compete on price; we pay more for the buckles alone that we use on some of our bridles than you can go & buy a whole imported bridle for!!! So, if you want cheap, then it's not going to be made in the UK :-(