equestrian management jobs - where to look

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I am looking for a new job - and one of the possibilities I thought of was combining my love of horses with my experience of management and education - but where apart from HHO does one look for equestrian jobs of that sort? I am not talking Yard manager jobs as I don't have high enough hands on skills - can't clip or plait to a high standard. But I mean events/project/departmental management in some way. To give you an idea I recently applied for head of education at the BHS - didn't even get an interview but hey ho onward and upwards - but where else might I look to find that kind of position? any ideas gratefully received
thanks

kc100

Visit site
As you can imagine non-yard based horsey jobs are few and far between! When I look I go on the following sites:
Horse and Hound
BHS jobs section
Equine careers http://www.equine-careers.co.uk/
Yard and Groom (sometimes have non-yard based roles on there)

But be prepared to wait a very long time for a suitable role to come up, they are few and far between believe me (I had the same idea as you, about 2 years ago, to look for something that combined my love of horses with my experience in marketing - still looking unfortunately). And if you do find one, I'd be 99% certain you'll have to take a pay cut. I found one that was right up my street, and got an interview, but then I did the maths and realised I cant afford to take a £5k per year pay cut at the moment so I've got to stick my current career path out for another 3 years before I've got myself into a position financially where I can take a massive salary drop.

Good luck with your search and I hope you have better luck than I have!

amy_b

Visit site
I would make a list of places that you would like to work, ring them. ask who is responsible for recruitment, speak to that person. Explain what you are looking for and her presto you have a telephone interview!
You might not get a job from it but you wont get one from not doing it either and being proactive is a bonus.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Kc100 thanks for that thoughts - yes I have been checking all those too - pay cut is less of an issue for me as my background is non commercial anyway in museums education - in fact most the equestrian industry jobs at a similar managerial level are better paid than they would be in museums. Just wondered if I was missing any obvious tricks :)

Last edited:

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Yes Amy_b I was wondering if that track might still work in today's industry - its certainly worth a try if you find somewhere you just think you would love to work - I did a bit of that when looking for my first job but I got my position from a good old fashioned advert in the paper!