Equestrian societies at uni

11bluewolf

Visit site
Hi,

Im off to university in a few days and will be joining the equestrian society and maybe the polo society as well.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either societies although I appreciate this will vary from different universities.

How often did you ride, and was it very expensive?

Did you notice a big difference in your riding from not riding as often while at uni or did your riding actually improve from ridding different horses.

Thanks!

Crackerz

Visit site
Hi,

Im off to university in a few days and will be joining the equestrian society and maybe the polo society as well.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either societies although I appreciate this will vary from different universities.

How often did you ride, and was it very expensive?

Did you notice a big difference in your riding from not riding as often while at uni or did your riding actually improve from ridding different horses.

Thanks!

I didn't go to uni, but did go to equestrian college. I took my pony with me and my riding improved loads as i had more lessons on him, and i rode the college horses regularly too!

Exciting for you though - where are you off to?

teapot

Visit site
Do it. I rode at one uni and played polo at another. Costs wise depends entirely on where you're riding but it's probably the best/cheapest way of ever learning to play polo. Seem to remember lessons were every week if you wanted.

I've never had my own horse so used to ride different ones but it is an skill worth learning. A lot of the unis compete at BUCS so you if you're selected for teams (whether the A, B or C team), you may get the chance to compete and the competition itself is an art of how to ride properly in a timed environment.

Wimbles

Visit site
What uni are you going to?

The lovely girls that are currently helping me out with my horses all come from their University Horseball teams which they all love.

I was on the polo team at Uni and loved it.

abbijay

Visit site
If you already own a horse and compete you'll probably get a lot from it and it turn they will probably get a lot from you on teams. If you come from a riding school background I found them to be not very supportive or helpful at providing decent lessons and support (this was just my experience at Leeds Uni in the early noughties). I gave up on the idea of riding with them within a few months (even though the lessons were heavily subsidised) and went off to volunteer with the local RDA instead to get my horsey fix.

TGM

Visit site
My daughter does the BUCs riding competitions at uni and is A team captain this year, as well as playing polo. As someone else said it is probably the cheapest way you will ever get to play polo! Riding different horses in the BUCS competitions has definitely helped her riding. However, she found she wasn't as riding fit as she was when riding her horse at home.

But a lot depends on what you want to do and what the equestrian club provides. Her club didn't put on a lot of training last year, so she was mostly riding at the BUCS competitions, so polo gave her some extra 'horse' hours. However, remember the club consists of its members so you can have an input to what they do if you get involved. However, they do have 'social riding' available for those who want to do more but not necessarily compete. But some teams do a lot more regular training.

But definitely worth doing! Good luck.

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
At my uni the polo is much cheaper than unsubsidised but still £40 a lesson+ subs, there's lessons usually twice a week and various leagues you can do as well as the SUPAs. Riding club is less expensive at £20-30ish a lesson, cheaper subs and again you can have a flat work or jumping lesson most weeks. Riding team there's 'only' 4 training session and 4-6 competitions a year but it's very heavily subsided and even if you go on their tour and do everything it is affordable to most students. There's only 12 spots on the team though.

Annagain

Visit site
My riding probably improved because I was riding quality well schooled horses not my naughty, excitable Sec D. Doing BUSA (as it was then) competitions also forced me to do dressage which I'd done everything to avoid before then. I even quite enjoyed it by the end of the 3 years and have continued ever since.