Equestrian Sports and Dress Codes

Jo_x

Visit site
I think there is definitely a place for modernising dress codes and making some clothes more practical. Much of current dress codes are based on what the aristocracy used to wear. It's no wonder horse sports don't get taken seriously when we are dressing as Victorians.

Some things are based on practicalities yes, most aren't. White or pale jodhpurs are about the least practical thing going. It's all very well arguing the safety aspect for long sleeves, but it's strange that shows don't insist on arms being covered in the warmup ring.

I also think it makes competitions more interesting when the competitors actually look different from each other so you can tell them apart, and they aren't just wearing variations of navy and black!

Annagain

Visit site
I too like being smart but I don't understand why there can't be a bit of give and take particularly when the weather demands it. At a show jumping competition last year it was blisteringly hot. The judge in the senior ring gave people permission to jump without jackets (as long as their shirts /t-shires were suitable) but the junior judge wouldn't so the poor kids were melting in their jackets. Same last weekend at a dressage competition - one girl's jacket go so wet (just during one test) it shrank whilst on her and I saw so many pairs of see through jods (and a few interesting pairs of pants underneath :eek:) it was like some strange upside down wet t-shirt competition. I've never seen anything like it. Why they weren't allowed to ride in waterproof coats I don't know - they wouldn't hide their positions too much if they were short ones. It wouldn't save the jods, but it would stop people getting pneumonia.

lottiepony

Visit site
Guess I fall in the 'old fashioned' category as I love the typical competition look. It's rubbish that it all costs a fortune especially now with the delights of eBay and social media. Plus I am a firm believer in if you buy quality you only buy once. I think it's good that the main thing to have changed are people attitudes to safety in terms of competing at higher levels in hats etc, body protectors, better safety standards etc. I'm sticking with traditional for as long as I compete :)

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
I think it should be modernised - if we dressed as athletes we might be taken more seriously in the sporting world and even get more TV coverage. It could break down the 'toff' stereotype too and make riding seen as more accessible.

rowan666

Visit site
I think it should be modernised - if we dressed as athletes we might be taken more seriously in the sporting world and even get more TV coverage. It could break down the 'toff' stereotype too and make riding seen as more accessible.
^ Well said, i agree 100%. Its also no fun showing in blistering heat heat wearing a tweed jacket or getting soaked through in the rain

Templebar

Visit site
Just remember though as we have seen now if we broadened the spectrum of what we were allowed to wear that makes judging even harder does it not. Imagine Charlotte Dujardin in a GB polo shirt and navy johdpurs with paddock boots and chaps and Valegro with his black everyday boots on, all pristine clean but in that wear. Next in comes Isabell Werth in what we are akin to seeing today. Do you not think that's going to influence the judges, everyone moans already about how judging is not fair, in particular showing and dressage, now you want to add another element and then complain when you are placed down the line next to the ones who want to keep to the standards of yesteryear.

How are judges supposed to cope with all this and how can we ensure our horses are being judged fairly. Im 23 and I cannot stand it now if even at low level showjumping if I am in a class with people wearing loose long hair, polo shirt with coloured jodhs, I do wear boots and chaps but they are both black and well cleaned and this is only as I cannot find long boots to fit me.

Jo_x

Visit site
Just remember though as we have seen now if we broadened the spectrum of what we were allowed to wear that makes judging even harder does it not. Imagine Charlotte Dujardin in a GB polo shirt and navy johdpurs with paddock boots and chaps and Valegro with his black everyday boots on, all pristine clean but in that wear. Next in comes Isabell Werth in what we are akin to seeing today. Do you not think that's going to influence the judges, everyone moans already about how judging is not fair, in particular showing and dressage, now you want to add another element and then complain when you are placed down the line next to the ones who want to keep to the standards of yesteryear.

How are judges supposed to cope with all this and how can we ensure our horses are being judged fairly. Im 23 and I cannot stand it now if even at low level showjumping if I am in a class with people wearing loose long hair, polo shirt with coloured jodhs, I do wear boots and chaps but they are both black and well cleaned and this is only as I cannot find long boots to fit me.

Well it would be an interesting test of whether judges actually judge the horses performance or not.

Pennythetank

Visit site
I don't see the expense side of the outfit we have to wear? Ok yes you do have to pay some money for it, but my white (good) breeches cost me 10€, in a sale (not even second hand!) and they have lasted me 4/5 years of competing so far. I ride in a borrowed jacket that I have as long as I want (doesn't fit owner) and I use my dad's battered old leather chaps which clean up well with a bit of elbow grease.
It doesn't have to be expensive at all, if you walk into any pony club competition, ok there is the mini showjumpers and next great eventers covered head to toe in pikuer (sp?) but there is always a healthy section of the population in hand me downs and borrowed jackets.
Plus I love the dressing up aspect, I ride day to day in polo shirts so other than plaiting, there would be nothing special about getting ready. And the day I earn my top hat (wouldn't ride in one for obvious reasons but to be allowed to) and tails will be an awesome day and even if the dress code was changed, I would still turn up in one!

Araboo27

Visit site
I don't compete (at the moment anyway) but I do love to see everyone turned out beautifully, even if it's just at the RC show on our yard!

Now, what p*sses me off is lead rein outfits ;) my kids would have loved to do a few shows this season but I refuse to spend money on an outfit when I'm dieting and it'll no longer fit me next year when we're planning to start serious showing. I wish I could just wear something smart :,(

catkin

Visit site
I don't compete (at the moment anyway) but I do love to see everyone turned out beautifully, even if it's just at the RC show on our yard!

Now, what p*sses me off is lead rein outfits ;) my kids would have loved to do a few shows this season but I refuse to spend money on an outfit when I'm dieting and it'll no longer fit me next year when we're planning to start serious showing. I wish I could just wear something smart :,(

Oh Lordy Lordy, I don't envy you at all trying to get kitted out for lead rein - and not fair on ladies as all the chaps have to do is put on a dark suit!! Such a shame really as it's so possible to pull together a decent outfit for other classes.
If you are just testing the water a bit this year would it be worth going for something more akin to other in-hand dress rather than the full on yummy-mummy flash? (or is that absolute heresy?)

webble

Visit site

Yes I agree I still think there should be some sort of 'uniform' just that it should be more modern/ comfortable/ sporting

Araboo27

Visit site
Oh Lordy Lordy, I don't envy you at all trying to get kitted out for lead rein - and not fair on ladies as all the chaps have to do is put on a dark suit!! Such a shame really as it's so possible to pull together a decent outfit for other classes.
If you are just testing the water a bit this year would it be worth going for something more akin to other in-hand dress rather than the full on yummy-mummy flash? (or is that absolute heresy?)

Tell me about it :( I look awful in a hat and all the dieting in the world won't shrink my enormous head, lol. I'm going to do a few fun shows with them where I can get away with smart riding clothes, pony is so fat and daughter looks like she's doing the splits - we're bound to win the thelwell pony class!! ;)

D66

Visit site
I saw a video of Charlotte DuJ riding horses for an auction recently - she wore black breeches, boots and a black polo shirt and looked very smart. If people want to spend time and money on top hats, stocks, tweed jackets etc I wouldn't stop them, but there has to be a simpler, more practical, basic outfit, possibly different for showing and performance sports like jumping or eventing.
What is the dress code for cycling or freestyle ice skating?

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I saw a video of Charlotte DuJ riding horses for an auction recently - she wore black breeches, boots and a black polo shirt and looked very smart. If people want to spend time and money on top hats, stocks, tweed jackets etc I wouldn't stop them, but there has to be a simpler, more practical, basic outfit, possibly different for showing and performance sports like jumping or eventing.
What is the dress code for cycling or freestyle ice skating?

I thought the dress code for cycling was to wear all black with SKY emblazoned across your behind looking as if you belong to the team even if your are 20 stone plus and puffing along at 10 mph.

Merrymoles

Visit site

I'm with this too. Riding does still look like it's for "toffs", thanks to the antiquated clothing. I have nothing against smartness but the whole beige/white breeches bit seems so out of date and impractical. I think the whole "toffs" image makes it far harder to interest a mainstream audience and does not do us any favours.

Tradition is all well and good but we have done away with the bits that were bad for the horse (in the main), while maintaining it rigidly for the rider in some disciplines.

I would not want to see "scruffy" horses and riders but there are so many modern, practical alternatives to scratchy tweed and heavy wool. When I was younger, the only pale gloves available were "string" gloves. Can you imagine a modern dressage rider putting up with those? We accept pale gloves allow the judges to see the hands better but what is the purpose of pale breeches, other than to echo a bygone age (and get unbelievably filthy when it rains)?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree with OP to a certain extent.

The local equestrian centre took a suggestion I made to do a "Stressless Dressage" midweek once a fortnight. The owner took some persuading to make it normal riding dress (especially as their motto is "fun with standards"), but as I said many of my teaching clients would like a go at dressage but do not have all the clobber.

The horses still have to wear legal stuff, unless HC, in which case as long as it is humane it is flexible. The rider has to wear in standard hat, gloves, jodhs and some type of riding boot or jodh boot/half chap etc. It is about being workmanlike tidy, but safe.

The tests go from Intro to Ele, but you can choose a time. So, you may have a right mix and match, but if you have to be finished for 3pm to go pick up the kids, you can do that with whatever test you like. Or, if the kids finish school and need to come you could pick a late test, 7pm or whatever.

The venue also allows an extra minute in between tests, so it always runs early, but you don't have to go in early, all very relaxed. This also means the collecting ring has a max of 3 in. There are regular breaks for this who would rather have the collecting ring even quieter to request a test before or after a break.

It does mean that if you want to wait for rosettes it is a long wait, or they will post out.

The idea was to encourage new people, but in fact the standard is very high, with pros bringing youngsters out. They are happy to be able to plan teaching round their tests, can ride novice and more experienced horses with just a small gap, and most of all do not have to muck up their BD/ BE stuff that they need pristine for the weekend. That would be white saddle cloths as well as riding clothes.

Some people do still dress up/ plait up, as for them that is part of it, but many (me included) just get home from work, dress in everyday gear and go.

I do occasionally judge there, and from my perspective the respect for the judge is far more show in a smile, good nature, clean horse (as in no actual poo!), punctuality, trying your best etc rather than a display of showing clothing.

IMO, if Carlsberg did dressage, it would be like this! At least for the midweek shows. I do like to dress up for other venues, but even with BD I only plait for regionals!!! I have been told loads that some people find this out of order, but the horse does not seem to mind.

IrishRegulus

Visit site
And what would be next after polo shirts? Tracky bottoms?

Honestly OP what on earth are you thinking? Is it that you can't be ars*d to clean yourself and your horse up properly and have some respect for each other and the people taking the time and making the effort to provide you with a competition to attend? If so, perhaps the competition world isn't for you.

Honestly, what on earth am I thinking? At which point does suggesting a polo shirt become synonomous with being dirty all over? I have competed, thank you, at high levels - therefore my own personal experience of not enjoying the dressing up. There really was nothing in my OP to support that I believed one should go and compete with a ungroomed horse and being shabbily dressed. Read it again if you cannot remember - it's just about wearing polo shirts instead of stock and jacket. Perhaps dress code matters more to you than the riding itself, but I'm in the latter camp and have the ribbons to prove it.

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Erm, I did not make such a comparison - The HItler thing was about how being well dressed does not always equivocate decency or spiffiness - thought that was a pretty straightforward point. The post was about being able to wear polo shirts instead of jacket - part of the rest, albeit colourful, employed the rhetoric of comparison.

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Cheers Red-1, I thought I was getting a lot of flak for my OP :)

I agree with OP to a certain extent.

The local equestrian centre took a suggestion I made to do a "Stressless Dressage" midweek once a fortnight. The owner took some persuading to make it normal riding dress (especially as their motto is "fun with standards"), but as I said many of my teaching clients would like a go at dressage but do not have all the clobber.

The horses still have to wear legal stuff, unless HC, in which case as long as it is humane it is flexible. The rider has to wear in standard hat, gloves, jodhs and some type of riding boot or jodh boot/half chap etc. It is about being workmanlike tidy, but safe.

The tests go from Intro to Ele, but you can choose a time. So, you may have a right mix and match, but if you have to be finished for 3pm to go pick up the kids, you can do that with whatever test you like. Or, if the kids finish school and need to come you could pick a late test, 7pm or whatever.

The venue also allows an extra minute in between tests, so it always runs early, but you don't have to go in early, all very relaxed. This also means the collecting ring has a max of 3 in. There are regular breaks for this who would rather have the collecting ring even quieter to request a test before or after a break.

It does mean that if you want to wait for rosettes it is a long wait, or they will post out.

The idea was to encourage new people, but in fact the standard is very high, with pros bringing youngsters out. They are happy to be able to plan teaching round their tests, can ride novice and more experienced horses with just a small gap, and most of all do not have to muck up their BD/ BE stuff that they need pristine for the weekend. That would be white saddle cloths as well as riding clothes.

Some people do still dress up/ plait up, as for them that is part of it, but many (me included) just get home from work, dress in everyday gear and go.

I do occasionally judge there, and from my perspective the respect for the judge is far more show in a smile, good nature, clean horse (as in no actual poo!), punctuality, trying your best etc rather than a display of showing clothing.

IMO, if Carlsberg did dressage, it would be like this! At least for the midweek shows. I do like to dress up for other venues, but even with BD I only plait for regionals!!! I have been told loads that some people find this out of order, but the horse does not seem to mind.

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Hey :)

Thank you for making me, the OP, giggle...ha! Full platemail armour!!....sorry that's really made my day. Thank gosh for peeps with a sense of humour. I love tosee the judge's face when I attempt to enter the arena with my joisting stick.lol

I would be very comfortable with competition clothing rules being updated to cover items like polo shirts, long sleeve close fitting zip tops (which I think British Showjumping allows). As long as the items were safe (close fitting, no flappy bits, etc.) I do not mind.

The clothing rules as they stand today have selected a pretty arbitrary period in history as their basis. You could equally well argue that all BD competitors should wear full plate armour, or dress like a Lancer from the Napoleonic era.

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Hey, I was a tad surprised too - some posters were downright rude and clearly didn't even read the OP properly. I don't see why the hoohaa just because one person dares to suggest a different dress. I find little practical value in comp. gear, apart from making me feel like a stuffed shirt. I understand that some folks like dressing up - I don't - when I ride, I'll grab anything comfortable and clean...and, yes, on occasion that has been my trekkies. I certainly haven't thought less of anyone due to their riding attire. Can't think who would.

I'm really surprised at peoples comments on here. When I was competing the thing that I really hated was having to get quite so dressed up.

Personally I think a smart pair of black boots, black jodhs (hide the dirt) and either a black or white polo shirt would look perfectly smart and be less expensive and constrictive

IrishRegulus

Visit site
OK, I understand your point, but you talk about "standards" but, in reality those standards are highly subjective. MY standards and yours may not be the same. Your "subjective" viewpoint is that if people do not dress the way you like, then they turnout poorly. I beg to differ.

I think polo shirts can look smart with the right joddies/breeches. You disagree.

These are your standards. I happen to think that dressing up as a butler to ride a horse looks silly. These are my standards. See? Different standards and that's just two of us.

I appreciate your candour though and you are fully entitled to despise those BS jackets.x

I can't stand those tacky zip up BS jackets, polo shirts would just be a step too far. I think I would actually give up, poor turnout and dress due to people not being bothered to make an effort makes my teeth itch.

You can band about tradition and Hitler all you like, it's about standards to be honest.

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
There's a lot of talk of polo shirts. We could also have a top like a cycling jersey made of technical material. In fact we could nick a lot from the world of cycling to make us look more like athletes, but also for the comfort side of things... I already wear padded cycling shorts under my jodhs and they are a LIFESAVER. Or should I say bumsaver. It's like riding on a lovely little cushion and you can hack for hours with no rubbage! Top tip there... I also think cycling jersey material is great for sweaty beasts like myself - nerves and exertion produce a lot of sweat on me and a cotton top just won't cut it!

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Hi there:)

Thank the good lord for you! :) One mentions "polo shirt" and all of a sudden one becomes a dirty reprobate, hell bent on showing filthy ungroomed horses...lol.

Yup, the "doomed to repeat it" went a bit over my head too...it's just a polo shirt, for dear's sake..haha.

I have a childhood memory. It scarred me. I was a sensitve lad and the sight of Mr. X's great big ruddy "brandy" face and portly tummy all but bursting from his sweaty, tight white joddies...his rasping cough and red jacket.

Let's jsut say that, in my mind, he was the antithesis of a sporting person.

But he was well dressed, I guess...

I am amused by the amount of people who have leapt to the conclusion that widening the scope of what one could wear for a competition automatically means a filthy horse and no standards :) There is a middle ground.

Tradition and remembering the past is fine, but 'those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it'? We're talking about relaxing the dress code here, not invading another country... I really don't see what the problem is with wearing whatever you feel comfortable in, providing it's smart and clean and the horse the same. Those who enjoy dressing up can continue to dress up and the rest of us could relax... :)

Oh - and I'm thinking dressage/eventing/showjumping above. Showing is just not on my radar :)

IrishRegulus

Visit site
I double up with my undies....but, alas, tis the gentleman's burden :) A long time ago, i got raw welts on my botty- someone called 'em "sergeant's stripes" I;ve always remembered that :) I'd have no problem with cycling stuff. Strange thing is that I never remember what poeple were wearing - I always remember what they did, though. I suppose I'm simply more interested in what the rider and hrose can do, as opposed to how well/badly they look whilst doing it.

There's a lot of talk of polo shirts. We could also have a top like a cycling jersey made of technical material. In fact we could nick a lot from the world of cycling to make us look more like athletes, but also for the comfort side of things... I already wear padded cycling shorts under my jodhs and they are a LIFESAVER. Or should I say bumsaver. It's like riding on a lovely little cushion and you can hack for hours with no rubbage! Top tip there... I also think cycling jersey material is great for sweaty beasts like myself - nerves and exertion produce a lot of sweat on me and a cotton top just won't cut it!

Jo_x

Visit site
The way some people on this thread talk of polo shirts, you would never guess that they were designed for doing sport in.

Why is there such emphasis on looking "smart". Clean, neat, tidy, yes absolutely. Formal dress, why? Genuine question!

IrishRegulus

Visit site
I know!! Guess they all should go down to the nearest polo match and shout: Boo! you shabby gits!..lol

The way some people on this thread talk of polo shirts, you would never guess that they were designed for doing sport in.

Why is there such emphasis on looking "smart". Clean, neat, tidy, yes absolutely. Formal dress, why? Genuine question!

Skib

sites.google.com
I came to riding late in life and the ritual dressing (and the judging of it) seems to me deeply weird. It isn't as if it is genuine any longer. It especially odd to see sleeveless imitation shirts and bibs listed in the catalogues, designed to make you look at if you are wearing a proper shirt under a jacket.
While it is true that long sleeves are preferable for riding (OH always wears long sleeved shirts and tells me cowboys dont wear short sleeves), there has to be some good reason why you dont see casual hackers in tweed jackets these day. Nor wearing white breeches.
Why is polo played in white breeches when it surely started off with khaki and with hats which are still not fastened with a strap harness secured at the back. We watch a lot of polo and my heart sinks when someone falls.
I accept that there is a religiously observant world of riding out there - and that it can be challenged by those at the top e.g. when safety helmets were worn by our Gold Medal dressage rider at the Olympics. But it isnt a world that makes sense to me. A tailored jacket does not fit well over a body protector -

IrishRegulus

Visit site
Read some of the comments and I think you'll find some deeply weird people on this thread :) Thanks for weighing in on the side of "please stop making us dress like Edwardian butlers when we compete!".x

I came to riding late in life and the ritual dressing (and the judging of it) seems to me deeply weird. It isn't as if it is genuine any longer. It especially odd to see sleeveless imitation shirts and bibs listed in the catalogues, designed to make you look at if you are wearing a proper shirt under a jacket.
While it is true that long sleeves are preferable for riding (OH always wears long sleeved shirts and tells me cowboys dont wear short sleeves), there has to be some good reason why you dont see casual hackers in tweed jackets these day. Nor wearing white breeches.
Why is polo played in white breeches when it surely started off with khaki and with hats which are still not fastened with a strap harness secured at the back. We watch a lot of polo and my heart sinks when someone falls.
I accept that there is a religiously observant world of riding out there - and that it can be challenged by those at the top e.g. when safety helmets were worn by our Gold Medal dressage rider at the Olympics. But it isnt a world that makes sense to me. A tailored jacket does not fit well over a body protector -