Equestrian superstores - Robinsons vs Rideaway?

Kafairia

Visit site
Hi all,
Looking to make a bit of a day out from it, I don't truly need anything but I do have the odd bits and pieces of like to try as my local saddlery / tack shop doesn't sell a great deal of stock, and maybe pick up some "come in handy one day" bargains?

I've heard Robinsons Cannock is a bit of a let down, but some people still seemed to favour it over Rideaway?

Which is the biggest, which did you prefer and which had the best deals when you went? There is about 2 hours each to them, and I just can't decide.

Thanks everyone :)

neddy man

Visit site
not been to cannock but been to the new robinsons at leeds, not over impressed, love rideaway, the staff are knowledgeable and very helpfull plus they dont push you to buy, or to spend more money on higher priced items ,always good amount of stock and quality products,(check out their web site www.rideaway.co.uk ) plus set of early horse shop then have a nice afternoon in the city of york, some lovely shops nice eateries and magnificent cathederal ,boat ride on ther river = a lovely day out,or go on a day when its york races and watch the racing in the afternoon.

Shay

Visit site
I've been to Cannock - unless it has changed in the last couple of years I wouldn't bother. Its just too small. Robinson's Basignstoke is probably the best - but a bit far unless you are down this way anyway!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not impressed with Robinsons Leeds, you may as well buy from the catalogue.

Rideaway is great.

R and R is OK, not as much choice as Rideaway.

Iron Horse in Doncaster has got a lot bigger, but still a lot smaller than the others. Very knowledgeable, nice feel in the shop, and they will order in. It may be worth doing R and R and combining with Iron Horse, do it on a BS show day and have lunch at Sykehouse Arena in-between!

BlackRider

Visit site
Rideaway - I live 10 miles form the Robinsons Ashton store and only ever go in if desperate for a supplement..

PS - someone mentioned Derby House, they haven't had a shop for a couple of years now.

Kafairia

Visit site
Derby house would of been my choice but I was under the impression they didn't have a shop - and I think my fears were confirmed when I searched half an hour on their website for a store address! :eek:

I was unaware of Robinsons being bought by sports direct! Dang that would explain the product quality decline - I can definitely see it in their rugs I ordered.

R&R country sound good and some of the others sound good too, I'm definitely going to look into them. I think I'm definitely wanting to go Rideaway though, I'd love to have a look around York too as I haven't been for a long while. Lots of memories from a child though as I went with one of my close friends that moved to France long ago and we lost touch ):

Roxylola

Visit site
Derbyshire house closed the shop!?!? Wow shocked! It was never the same after they moved to those fancy new premises though to be fair.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Wouldn't touch Robinsons now that they are owned by Sports Direct. SD under serious investigation for modern slavery & maltreatment of their staff. Owner got dragged to Parliament to answer charges.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Never been to Rideaway but don't bother with Robinsons in Cannock. All they sell is their own brand, cheap and nasty Requisite stuff with the odd thing from another brand thrown in. Half of the shelves are empty, staff have no idea what they're talking about (ie you can't ask for advise). Most, if not all, of the brands they sell tend towards the cheap end of the market and I don't think they cater for anyone but the newest, most novice riders. I popped in recently for some competition stuff (bridle numbers etc) and they don't stock them. Ended up back at localish tack shop in Shrewsbury (Stables Saddlery at Hadnall if you're local!) who are excellent - great range of stuff, knowledgeable staff, and there doesn't seem to be anything they don't stock or can't / won't get in for you.

NicolexRio

Visit site
I've never been to ride away but have shopped online! Robinsons Cannock is small but I always find what I need, does seem to be cheaper online though, so worth a look on their site

Goldenstar

Visit site
I used to love a trip to riseaway followed by lunch or dinner at the Crab and Lobster have done it in the last few years .

Miss_Dior

Visit site
Rideaway was really good a few years ago when It was owned by horsey people now its (I think) part of pet at home but the staff are still really helpful, they had a really good sale 2 weeks ago! xx