Equi-ami or pessoa?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
My mare is currently quite fit, but lacking in topline. As I'm not currently having lessons, I don't feel confident enough to be trying to school her greatly, so was wondering if either of the above would be a good way to help her build up the right muscles without me having to be on-board? :D

If so, which would you suggest and how easy are they to use? I've never used a training/lunging aid previously, so I'm imagining myself tied up in knots!

Thanks

Jools2345

Visit site
i have used both and the biggest difference for me is that the equi-ami can be used without anything round the horses hind end so is more versatile

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have both equi ami is best IMO.
The way it works means it is a continuous loop ( the Pessoa stops at the mouth at both sides) this means it doesnot encourage blocking and leaning and the awful nose wobble that the Pessoa can cause.

X

xspiralx

I have used a Pessoa in the past but have an equi ami now for my boy and I must admit I think it's brilliant.

He was out of work for a while due to a back problem and we then had to bring him back into work through three weeks of lunging. In just three weeks (4x per week), you can see a difference in his topline.

He works really well in it, and doesn't try to duck behind the contact which was always his default using side reins.

Plus, it's cheaper than a Pessoa!

Very easy to use - takes me under a minute to put it on.

Jools2345

Visit site
I have both equi ami is best IMO.
The way it works means it is a continuous loop ( the Pessoa stops at the mouth at both sides) this means it doesnot encourage blocking and leaning and the awful nose wobble that the Pessoa can cause.

i like the equi ami too but when i have used a pessoa it does not stop at the mouth it stops on the roller in the same way as the equi ami. maybe i was doing it wrong but i did read the instructions before i used it first time and i am sure it ends either, between the legs or on any of the rings round the sides of the horse on the roller in the same way as the equi ami.

tbh apart from the fact you can take the back half off the equi ami i dont really see much difference, i am confused now maybe i was using it all wrong

Goldenstar

Visit site
It may be fixed to the roller but to the horse it stops at the mouth watch how they move there heads working in a Pessoa .
The equi ami was developed after the Pessoa and I bet it was by some who had watched and trying it elimate this problem.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I use a Pessoa and from looking at the pictures, can't work out how the Equiami works differently ?
The burb on the site doesn't describe it very well, does it have pulley's or fixed clips, and is the line slightly stretchy or similar to the Pessoa in feel ?

Jools2345

Visit site
It may be fixed to the roller but to the horse it stops at the mouth watch how they move there heads working in a Pessoa .
The equi ami was developed after the Pessoa and I bet it was by some who had watched and trying it elimate this problem.

i ave a pessoa and have worked a few in it and the clips that go on the bit have a roller section on the inside of mine so the rope runs back and forth on it, i dont see how it is fixed

Natz88

Visit site
Another vote for the Equiami. My physio recommened it so I purchased one, my boy is weak on his back end & he has been on the equiami 2/3 months now & I am so pleased with his progress his canter is getitng better & stronger.

One of the best things I have spent my money on :D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have both and loved the pessoa until I got my equiami. For those asking what is the defference, the pessoa only allows for up and down movement of the head. The equiami also allows for lateral movement to the horse can bend correctly without being restricted by the outside line.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The Pessoa pulleys run up and down in time with the horses hind quarters stepping forward and back in the equi ami not only is the front section continuous the loop that fits round the roller ring is absorbing the side to side movement created by the hind quarters.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
The Pessoa pulleys run up and down in time with the horses hind quarters stepping forward and back in the equi ami not only is the front section continuous the loop that fits round the roller ring is absorbing the side to side movement created by the hind quarters.

Confused but intrigued. I need to see the equi ami working now. I know what you mean, but looking at the pictures, wondering if a long line or a couple of bandages tied together, similar to the TT method, wouldn't do the same job ?

I like the simplicity of the equi ami, but unsure as to why the price tag is so hefty. (Yes, the pessoa is expensive too, aren't they all !)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Confused but intrigued. I need to see the equi ami working now. I know what you mean, but looking at the pictures, wondering if a long line or a couple of bandages tied together, similar to the TT method, wouldn't do the same job ?

I like the simplicity of the equi ami, but unsure as to why the price tag is so hefty. (Yes, the pessoa is expensive too, aren't they all !)

My rope one was only fifty quid or so which I didn't think was too bad. I don't care to have a leather one, just more tack to clean anyway! ;)

If you look on you tube equi ami have videos of fitting and use and that should let you see how it works. Bandages and two lines would do exactly the same job but it is more effort than I personally can be bothere with!

Guinevere

www.facebook.com
Definitely the EquiAmi! I could go on for days about its benefits. I had a horse who wouldn't lunge on a long line and with it's help, not only can I now not use the EquiAmi when I lunge her in her saddle before a ride but she has started going in a natural outline without it and her topline is vastly improving, she didn't have any muscle to begin with. I will continue using it and highly recommend it to all.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My rope one was only fifty quid or so which I didn't think was too bad. I don't care to have a leather one, just more tack to clean anyway! ;)

If you look on you tube equi ami have videos of fitting and use and that should let you see how it works. Bandages and two lines would do exactly the same job but it is more effort than I personally can be bothere with!

'My rope one was only £50 or so' is sounding very Parelli-ish. :D

Seriously though, will take a look at the video's.

aradiagreen

Visit site
Hi,

My pony is just turning 5. Would you use an aid like this at this age? Or is he too young? I've also looked at the lung bungee?

Thanks!

Jesstickle

Visit site
'My rope one was only £50 or so' is sounding very Parelli-ish. :D

Seriously though, will take a look at the video's.

:mad: cheeky wench!

If you cant find anything I'm happy to send you the dvd that came with mine if you get desperate. I don't need it now I know how to put it on and it is deffo on there.

Now I really,really sound Parelli-ish ;)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
:mad: cheeky wench!

If you cant find anything I'm happy to send you the dvd that came with mine if you get desperate. I don't need it now I know how to put it on and it is deffo on there.

Now I really,really sound Parelli-ish ;)

Ah Ha, 50 squid rope...DVD... bargain for the Equi-elli. :p

(Only teasing, me bad. :D)

Tash88

Visit site
Hi,

My pony is just turning 5. Would you use an aid like this at this age? Or is he too young? I've also looked at the lung bungee?

Thanks!

Yes I think it would be fine to use an EquiAmi on him, you can tighten it up as he develops and it should start him off as you mean to go on. Hopefully it will discourage him from developing habits like leaning on the bit, and he will be developing the correct muscles from the beginning.

I think you can tell that I love my EquiAmi as well! Have never used a pessoa on my horse but my pessoa-loving YO was very impressed with the EquiAmi when she saw me lunging my horse in it. She sold him to me as a 5 y/o and used to lunge him in a pessoa so she was able to see the difference. He is getting better and better as I've been using it, only once a week usually but I ride him in the ridden aid once a week as well.