Equi Trec Space Treka Trailer concerns ....

EJH

New User
Visit site
To All
I am posting this message to all Equi Trec trailer users to see if anyone is facing similar problems. Basically I have a Space Treka trailer that is just over 12 months old and has only been used approx 20-25 times and the floor is dented where the one back foot is and underneath the trailer the cross members are bending showing nearly a 2" drop in places. Has anyone else noticed this problem? If you haven't encountered this would it be possible for you to check under your trailer to see if this is the case please.
I have reported the problem to Equi Trec who state that the problem is being caused by my horse stamping and kicking. My horse is not a bad traveller and is probably the calmest horse I have ever owned!!
If anyone can assist with the above it would be appreciated as I am so concerned that one day someone's horse will go through the floor of one of these trailers and I would hate to think that I didn't do anything about it.
Thanks Emma

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
I know the newer models have had a lot of workmanship/material problems with recalls etc but with a trailer only just over a year old I would be as concerned as you :-( Did you buy from a dealer or privately? If dealer then maybe go thru them to try & sort? If was me I think I wouldn't stop pestering EquiTrek until they agree to take a look? I know absolutely no help to you but I have a 2001 SportsTreka which was obviously made to a high standard & is still going strong :) Good luck!

EJH

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, and yes I did buy the trailer from a dealership and I have been in contact with them and also Equi Trec themselves and they are both saying that it is the fault of my horse that is causing the damage. I have stated on numerous occasions that my horse is not a bad traveller and that he weighs 670kg and the trailer should withstand movement of a horse and be capable of carrying him without the floor bending!! To be honest it is like talking to a brick wall! I have even sent some photos to an independent company and they are of the same opinion as me and when I told this to Equi Trec they still state that they believe it to be ok, what more can I do?!? I honestly believe there are more trailers out there where this problem is happening and I just need to find them to prove the point to Equi Trec to prevent an accident happening to some poor horse.

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
I have also heard their customer service is diabolical which is also no help to you! Payload on mine is 1300 so if yours is same, even if your horse was dancing around, the floor defo should not be denting. Im guessing floor material needs testing to see if made of suitable weight bearing material but sorry no idea who or where you could get this done. Fair play to you for highlighting the problem, keep banging on at EquiTrek so hopefully they get sooo fed up with it they my actually do something.

EJH

New User
Visit site
I quite agree, mine is the same 1300kg and therefore why is the floor bending with only 670kg???
I also feel cross that they have got the likes of Carl Hester to advertise stating Equi Trec "Are the safest way to travel" when actually there not, and if Carl knew this i'm sure he would not be happy either.
I'll keep trying to get Equi Trec to understand, maybe a long drawn out affair .....! Thanks for your comments, Emma

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I quite agree, mine is the same 1300kg and therefore why is the floor bending with only 670kg???
I also feel cross that they have got the likes of Carl Hester to advertise stating Equi Trec "Are the safest way to travel" when actually there not, and if Carl knew this i'm sure he would not be happy either.
I'll keep trying to get Equi Trec to understand, maybe a long drawn out affair .....! Thanks for your comments, Emma

I suggest you write to him. I bet he has a Twitter account or something. Also contact Trading Standards, if the horse weighs less than the maximum advised load and the floor is bending, it is not fit for purpose. Equi-Trek's customer service is atrocious in all departments.

EJH

New User
Visit site
I have contacted Trading Standards and they have suggested getting an independent report which I have enquired about and will continue to do if Equi Trec can't see that there is a problem!! Equi Trec are so difficult to deal with as they think they are right all the time. I have had my trailer looked at by a number of local people and they all have commented that the trailer isn't fit for its purpose but when I tell Equi Trec this they just say the horse has caused the damage and they won't be repairing it! Your comment about Equi Trec's customer service is a common comment that I have heard while discussing this problem I have had with various people and organisations!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Damage to sides I could accept as horse related. Significant damage to floor to the point of bending cross members should not be possible for a horse to do.
Get an independent report done now.

TommisMum

Visit site
The only recall I'm aware of was for the axle in some models which was due to the steel supplied to the axle manufacturer being incorrect.
what others are you aware of?

EJH

New User
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. I am liasing with Equi Trec over it to see if I can make them see sense however this isn't looking promising. I really need other Equi Trec users to check their trailers to ensure that they are safe. Otherwise it will be the report and then off to court. Which I'm sure neither us or Equi Trec want to go through. At the end of the day I just want to travel my horse safely!!

blue_skies

New User
Visit site
Equi-trek's customer service is non-existent! Don't return calls etc. Once they have the money for your trailer / lorry, they are not interested. Build quality is poor. Would never buy one again.

Annagain

Visit site
I know they had problems with the axels on the Show Trekka a while back. There were lots of people with the same problem but they continued to insist it wasn't their fault. I don't remember the exact details but a search on here would probably bring it all up. They eventually caved in and reinforced the axels from what I remember. Keep fighting and good luck!

EJH

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your message. I am trying to get Equi Trec to try and understand if only to prevent an accident happening but they are just terrible to deal with. I will keep trying ....

Follysmum

Visit site
They do themselves no favours behaving in this manner. Reputation is everything in a company. I think I would be going to their stand at Burghley and say a few choice words. I have an Equitrek van and have been happy with it, but tbh when I upgrade I am thinking of going else where because of hearing so much about their attitudes. Hope you get something sorted.

blue_skies

New User
Visit site
Equitrek not only treat their customers in a high-handed manner but, from what I have heard, they treat their dealers with the same contempt. Our dealer was great but, like quite a few others, they gave it up because of the non-existent back-up from Equi-trek.