Equi-trek trailers

Saratoga

Visit site
Those of you with Equi-trel trailers, would you mind posting up pros and cons of having one over a lorry? Your past experiences etc?

At the moment i have a 7.5t horse box, but am thinking about possibly selling and buying a trailer and 4x4.

Thanks!

kit279

Visit site
I really like mine - I know people complain about the build quality but my grey horse travels and loads so well into it that I'll forgive it most things! They are quite heavy so you need a decent 4x4 (I have a Jeep Cherokee). I also run my 4x4 on LPG which is half the price of petrol so it works out very cheap. I have thought seriously about getting a lorry but the tax on my 4x4 is about £180 a year and I don't have to worry about the trailer standing still for long periods of time and then not starting...

diggerbez

Visit site
i have had a lorry (admittedly old and crappy), an ifor and now have an equitrek show trekka (with the living in the front)

in terms of the concept of the trailer i think its fab- really good having somewhere to sleep/eat/change and the horses travel fabby in it (even stupid TB who won't entertain a trailer)

HOWEVER! i would never buy another trailer or product from them. the build quality on my trailer is atrocious! had lots of minor things go wrong- leisure battery didn't work, saddle racks snapped, partition chain snapped....but the worst thing was when my axle snapped when i was travelling my horse in it
shocked.gif
mad.gif
Equitrek were VERY rude with me and tried to blame me- i had to threaten them with legal action to actually get them to give me an accident report (which concluded their fault and faulty axle
crazy.gif
)
since then have finally got my leisure battery (and hence all internal lights and horse shower) fixed- despite returning it to Equitrek 5 times about this issue they couldn't find where they had screwed a screw through a major cable- independent trailer place found this in half an hour (but cost me £160 to fix
mad.gif
)
like i say concept is great, people are lovely when you are buying but then aftersales is shocking. would never buy from them again....
mad.gif

Saratoga

Visit site
Good and bad reports then. Diggerbez, sounds like a nightmare!! Build quality is one thing i think is important as my lorry has not been built to a great standard and it's all the little things bodged together that i don't like about it! Did you buy your trailer new from Equi-trek?

Do you insure your trailers separately to your 4x4? How much approx is it?

Thanks

Visit site
I was all for equi-treks as loved the concept too. I have had 3 - bought a second hand sports treka and it was brill - absolutely fine, then I bought a show treka new and after a few months the wheel sheared off as i was driving. Report back - sorry faulty axel. Then I lost faith in that trailer as it had swung from when I go it and replaced it with a new one and the axel went on that one aswell! At least the wheel didnt fall off but the wheels were out of alightment and I had a bald tyre. So they replaced the axel yet again - no apology. Then I got shot of it and have gone back to Ifor Williams before I frightened myself to death towing my precious boy behind me thinking my trailer would come apart at any time! Dont know if build quality has gone downhill on them.

diggerbez

Visit site
yes i bought it straight from the head office in huddersfield as stupidly thought that would make my life easier!! how wrong i was
mad.gif

in terms of insurance i do mine with same company as my horses, not sure exactly how much as i pay for it all together ....sorry! i have breakdown with OHTO too....
smile.gif