Equiband - anyone use?

SEL

Visit site
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/equine-vet/new...f-elastic-resistance-band-training-for-horses

They keep coming up as a sponsored post on my FB newsfeed. I've got a horse who is work in progress for strengthening her back and hindquarter muscles (PSSM / arthritis) and would be interested to know if anyone is using this system in practice right now?

We work in an equiami a couple of times a week for short periods and a lot of pole work but the advantage of the equiband would be that it could be used with a rider - which is when she really struggles to engage her core muscles. She has improved no end in the past few months with daily exercises, but ridden work is still hard for her.

It seems expensive for what is really 2 pieces of elastic and I'm half wondering whether I could construct my own version!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Super expensive for what it is!

We made one for a friend, using tail bandages but the physio didn't think it would be effective enough (KS rehab), however I have heard of people buying the replacement bands and attaching to their own saddlecloth...

SEL

Visit site
Super expensive for what it is!

We made one for a friend, using tail bandages but the physio didn't think it would be effective enough (KS rehab), however I have heard of people buying the replacement bands and attaching to their own saddlecloth...

I got a bit of a shock when I clicked through to look at prices! I was thinking about a DIY job with a saddle cloth and tail bandages too. Didn't realise you could buy the bands separately.....

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
No I didn't, it was on a post on the BD facebook page I think where they said you could buy just the bands. To be honest we were quite happy with the tail bandages, but obviously my friend wants to do her best by the horse and was happy to follow the physio's advice.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I bought one mainly because I am really nosy and can't resist trying new things .
I think they could be really useful to help develop the horses core .
I have not cracked fitting the straps my Physio can do it but I just can't quite get how she does it .
I am going to use it was leading Fatty from another horse as he gets back to work rolling injury .

Casey76

Visit site
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/equine-vet/new...f-elastic-resistance-band-training-for-horses

They keep coming up as a sponsored post on my FB newsfeed. I've got a horse who is work in progress for strengthening her back and hindquarter muscles (PSSM / arthritis) and would be interested to know if anyone is using this system in practice right now?

We work in an equiami a couple of times a week for short periods and a lot of pole work but the advantage of the equiband would be that it could be used with a rider - which is when she really struggles to engage her core muscles. She has improved no end in the past few months with daily exercises, but ridden work is still hard for her.

It seems expensive for what is really 2 pieces of elastic and I'm half wondering whether I could construct my own version!

I'm sure you could knock one up for yourself with a couple of yoga resistance bands!

SEL

Visit site
I mock up my own with wide stretchy tail bandages, works just as well :)

How tight do you do the tummy one? I've done tail bandage around the bottom, but I'm thinking a tummy bandage is worth a go. (Without me on board first off in case I get it wrong and we have a bucking strap instead!).

Yoga bands are a great idea. Off to google......

loz9

Visit site
I made a diy 1 with the replacement bands after seeing a friends full kit, not hard to do if you're good with a sewing machine. I will add that the bands are much stronger than any yoga/resistance band I was able to get hold of, & my sister works in a yoga studio, so I had a wide choice!
My goal was to help engage my horse's core, not for a specific problem, but in the hopes that it will prevent any future issues as he has quite a weak back. When used regularly it seems to have done the job :)

PorkChop

Visit site
How tight do you do the tummy one? I've done tail bandage around the bottom, but I'm thinking a tummy bandage is worth a go. (Without me on board first off in case I get it wrong and we have a bucking strap instead!).

Yoga bands are a great idea. Off to google......

I have them very snug, I usually use two around the tummy and one around the hind end.

SEL

Visit site
I bought one mainly because I am really nosy and can't resist trying new things .
I think they could be really useful to help develop the horses core .
I have not cracked fitting the straps my Physio can do it but I just can't quite get how she does it .
I am going to use it was leading Fatty from another horse as he gets back to work rolling injury .

Do you think the proper straps do a better job than a DIY bandage?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Interesting...
Is it bad that I noticed it's only trade marked and wondered how long before a cheaper copy appeared :eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Do you think the proper straps do a better job than a DIY bandage?

Yes they are very much stronger than using a tail bandage .
As I said my Physio seems to fit them easily but tensioning myself well I just get in a strop with it .
I am going to use it on Fatty when he starts work so that will be interesting to see how it works as part of a fittening plan .

SheadonSaffron

www.facebook.com
Yes they are very much stronger than using a tail bandage .
As I said my Physio seems to fit them easily but tensioning myself well I just get in a strop with it .
I am going to use it on Fatty when he starts work so that will be interesting to see how it works as part of a fittening plan .

Morning Goldenstar :) I'm interested that you say this, because once the bands are fitted by your physio, you should not need to adjust / tension them at all - it's simply a case of clipping them onto the saddle pad. There's a video here that helps with the fitting, in case it's of any use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dnb2gEMh0

Leo Walker

Visit site
Morning Goldenstar :) I'm interested that you say this, because once the bands are fitted by your physio, you should not need to adjust / tension them at all - it's simply a case of clipping them onto the saddle pad. There's a video here that helps with the fitting, in case it's of any use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Dnb2gEMh0

You arent allowed to advertise your product on here. You will get an infraction if its seen that way by admin so just be aware :)

Last edited:

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Very timely thead as I've just been advised to look into one of these or a pessoa for in hand walking. Quite like the idea of this as I can use it ridden too. The only problem I can see is that the horse does have a habit of throwing herself about so am wondering how this would cope with misbehaviour!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don't know anything about the equiband, but the EquiAmi is great for in hand walking due to its ingenious non restrictive sliding loop, and IMHO way better than a Pessoa. It also definitely gives a bit of extra control if a rehabbing horse tries some airs above the ground :D. I've been out on the roads inhand for up to 40 minutes with an EquiAmi on a PSD rehab horse.

MadJ

Visit site
I recently bought the Pro Core Trainer by Thermatex. I'm very pleased with how my horse is responding to this, the belly strap does make a difference to him and it's cheaper than Equiband. For those who possess sewing skills, I don't, you could easily make your own version.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You arent allowed to advertise your product on here. You will get an infraction if its seen that way by admin so just be aware :)

I'll vouch that this poster is not the manufacturer. I agree the post reads a little like that, but just a strange way of phrasing I think.