Equiband/Therabands

emfen1305

Visit site
My physio has recommended that I try and make myself an Equicore system using the actual bands you buy from them but then using my own numnah and clips to save money. I tried looking where to buy but one of the UK distributors requires proof of purchase of the original Equicore system and not too sure on the other one! Someone recommended Therabands to me and they are much cheaper! They come in different colours according to what you need, does anyone use Therabands on their horse and if so, what colour do you go for? In and ideal world I would just spend £200 on theirs but I really can't afford that!

Theocat

Visit site
I just bought a band, made holes in an old numnah, and tied them straight on. Total cost- about a fiver! I don't think I used a Theraband one so the colours are different, but you want a reasonably heavy resistance.

quaver

Visit site
If you can stretch to it the thermatex version is £100. I did contemplate making it and decided I couldn't be bothered/would never actually make it :D :redface3: :D

supsup

Visit site
I've made my own pad using a black theraband knock-off (ebay, not original brand Theraband), which was the highest resistance of that non-brand band. I've never seen/felt the original Equicore band, so really don't know how they compare in terms of resistance. Their webpage says, "The Equiband™ system has been developed specifically to stimulate receptors in the horse’s skin and hair follicles." My cheap bands certainly push on the skin and pull a bit on the hair as the horse moves. I don't know how critical the material or tension is to provide the "right" kind of stimulation to skin and hair follicles, but it sounds to me as though it's not all about strength/tension, but maybe also/more about how rubbery the band is, and whether it grabs the skin and coat well.
FWIW, I attached my bands at about 50% of maximum stretch (as they suggest on their webpage). That was enough tension on the bum band to pull the numnah and roller backwards over time (I hadn't tightened the roller super tight). Not sure if an even stronger band would be really useful in that case?
I have also thought about "upgrading" to branded replacement bands and asked around on the FB PSD group, so far without success. If you do end up successfully buying replacement bands (which come in two full sets, from what I understand), I might be interested in buying the second set if you don't want to keep a spare (PM me if you want to sell). For now, I think I'll stick with my DIY version.

ellie_e

Visit site
I just tie an old tail/ leg bandage to either the stirrup keeper or roller if im lunging then around bum/under tail and tighten to how much pressure is needed.