Equilibrium Massage Pads or equivalent

tda

Visit site
I've got one but tend to use it when we get home. Will try beforehand 😁

Just for general maintenance rather than anything specific

Twohorses

Visit site
Ok, this has my attention:)

Hopefully folks with more testimonial input will come in. Whether it's your horse or a horse of someone you are well acquainted with:)

This is a pricey piece of therapy but I would find a way to buy it, if it would help my horse with an old fractured sacrum injury and recently managed to dislocate a vertebra in his back.

He has been under both traditional vet care and the hollistic vet/chiro care for almost six weeks, and has seen much improvement. The equine chiro also does acupuncture & massage, and has been coming every two weeks, instead of the regular every four weeks.

This Equilibrium battery operated massaging pad appears that it could offer him long term comfort. It appeals to me as my hands and shoulders are arthritic, I am 5'2", the horse is 15.3H, so holding any sort of massage on him for the correct amount of time is almost impossible. He is great about keeping his own devices on him but they still fall off as they roll and/or he shifts his weight.

I have looked at the magnetic pads which are over $300 U.S. I have yet to see magnets produce results on myself or a horse, so that's not a consideration , especially for the price.

Apologies for sort of hi-jacking but I sure would like to hear more reports:):)

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
I bought one for my mare and really felt it made a difference using it beforehand. My daughter has now ‘borrowed’ it permanently for her quirky ISH. He is definitely much more relaxed if she uses it before riding in the school, especially in the colder weather. Without it he tends to be tense and makes himself tight behind. The pad just seems to take that edge off him. I’ve had it about 5 years now and (hastily touches wood) it’s still as reliable as when we got it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have a Back on Track back pad which has similar effects on my horses, but is a lot cheaper. Obviously it doesnt massage but it does warm the muscles up which seems to be all they need. I nearly sold it when my quirky one retired, but I've been using it on my new one and I'd forgotten how useful it is!

On the Hoof

Visit site
I have one which I used infrequently until my mare was diagnosed with some arthritis in her spine, which resulted in a lot of muscle spasm. She has been treated by vet and physio but I started using the pad every day (before inhand work as I couldn't ride her for 4 months) and it has helped (along with bute I guess) in keeping muscle spasms at bay. She has been off bute for four weeks now and the pad goes on before every ride or in hand exercise and physio is very happy with her. YOu do need to ensure that it is not too loose on the back, so you want a snug fit for it to actually make contact with muscles. I wouldn't be without it now.

NinjaPony

Visit site
The equilibrium pad is one of the best horsey things I have ever bought! It's used before every ride, really helps loosen up his back muscles before I work him and very relaxing. He's rolled on it twice without breaking it (...!!), I've had it 8 years and never needed to replace anything, still works perfectly so have had huge value for money out of it!

sam72431

Visit site
Has anyone got the sport vibe rug? It's a bit more than equilibrium but also has neck shoulder and sacroiliac as well as over the back? Just wondered if they are any good I think most people have equilibrium though?!

rextherobber

Visit site
The company are very helpful too, one of the motors in my pad stopped working (was an Ebay purchase, but had had it for several years before this happened), they advised what to do, and offered to send a replacement motor if electrician needed it ( he didn't, was a loose connection). We love ours, use it a lot, and useful when trimming/plaiting up etc, stops any fidgeting!

flying_high

Visit site
Has anyone got the sport vibe rug? It's a bit more than equilibrium but also has neck shoulder and sacroiliac as well as over the back? Just wondered if they are any good I think most people have equilibrium though?!
I have sports vibe rug and think it’s great. After discussion with physio I place vibrating panels where most useful for my horse.

I bought 2 more panels so have 6

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have sports vibe rug and think it’s great. After discussion with physio I place vibrating panels where most useful for my horse.

That’s interesting, I may look into one of those as well. My mare has recently had her SI joint injected - she is wonky in various areas (bilateral hock arthritis, PSSM etc) which has a knock on effect on her back. The equilibrium pad, when fitted normally, doesn’t reach the SI region, which is the freshly clipped area just behind the rear of pad.

E429467C-2C57-4088-9795-1C903B66F17A.jpeg

Twohorses

Visit site

I ran across that as I was looking for more reviews on the Equilibrium . It caught my attention because it does cover the SI area and that is what needs the most attention on my horse.

Flying_high, do you use the sheet every day?

How long have you had it?

Have you had any parts break or is it awkward to use? For example I read a review on the Valley Vet website that stated they received one of the original models and the pockets for the panels were on the underside of the blanket, making it difficult to switch them around if needed be.

it was felt the neck piece was awkward to attach.

Also the person felt the power leads were flimsy. Still-in-all she/he still recommended it.

I am retired, so spending this much money for something for my 24 yr old retired trail horse, it had better talk to me when I take it out of its carrying case, lollollol.

I already have an equine red light therapy pad that helps, but it doesn't massage, and the horse won't always tolerate it -- often very quietly wiggling it off his butt, then looking at me with his ears forward saying "it fell off on its own. Those would be the ears in my avatar --- it is hard not to laugh when I see those ears up & eyes innocently wide, and he knows it:):)

Thanks in advance for anything else you can think of, regarding the sheet -- especially how it has held up over time :):)

flying_high

Visit site
I ran across that as I was looking for more reviews on the Equilibrium . It caught my attention because it does cover the SI area and that is what needs the most attention on my horse.

Flying_high, do you use the sheet every day?

How long have you had it?

Have you had any parts break or is it awkward to use? For example I read a review on the Valley Vet website that stated they received one of the original models and the pockets for the panels were on the underside of the blanket, making it difficult to switch them around if needed be.

it was felt the neck piece was awkward to attach.

Also the person felt the power leads were flimsy. Still-in-all she/he still recommended it.

I am retired, so spending this much money for something for my 24 yr old retired trail horse, it had better talk to me when I take it out of its carrying case, lollollol.

I already have an equine red light therapy pad that helps, but it doesn't massage, and the horse won't always tolerate it -- often very quietly wiggling it off his butt, then looking at me with his ears forward saying "it fell off on its own. Those would be the ears in my avatar --- it is hard not to laugh when I see those ears up & eyes innocently wide, and he knows it:):)

Thanks in advance for anything else you can think of, regarding the sheet -- especially how it has held up over time :):)

Hi,

Mine is wireless. I bought it secondhand about 6-9 months ago.

I use it about 3-4 times a week, but typically 2-3 cycles when I use it.

Rug and panels and charger seem fairly robust.

I had to sew a large car wash sponge over withers as was a pressure point.

I leave neck part attached all the time.

I put the 6 panels in locations advised by my equine physio.

I paid £150 for second hand rug, bag, controller, 4 panels and charger.

And £99 for 2 more new panels.

I like the rug but not sure I’d pay £500 odd for a new one. But are some good offers.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Many years ago we bought a Equilibrium Massage Therapy Massage Pad for our horses. It was expensive at the time, but considerably cheaper than they are now. I was a little sceptical when we bought it but over the years I believe it's paid us back many times over. When we go to a show we very often put the pad on our horses before they compete. They seem to warm up quicker & perform well in the arena show jumping. We then use it again in the lorry when we've cooled them down, it seems to calm them & possibly ease any muscles that ache maybe. All I can say is that we feel it's been worth the money. Our horses, aged 21, 16 & 9 are performing well & have great muscle tone. Is it coincidence, or has the pad got something to do with it , I don't know but we'll continuing it.

Gypley

Visit site
I have an equilibrium pad and sportz vibe rug.
Personally I think the equilibrium is better. I like how it also warms up the back as it vibrates, which I think encourages the horse to relax more.

The sportz vibe is good (I have the wireless) but I do have a few irks with it. I find changing the panels around a faff. The battery life is nowhere near as long as the equilibrium. You don’t get the added benefit ofthe heat. The neck is useless, even on the tightest option the panels don’t sit flush with his neck so are basically just vibrating in the air.
Having said that, I do like that I can use it on his sacroiliac area, but for me it doesn’t warrant the price tag.

flying_high

Visit site
I have an equilibrium pad and sportz vibe rug.
Personally I think the equilibrium is better. I like how it also warms up the back as it vibrates, which I think encourages the horse to relax more.

The sportz vibe is good (I have the wireless) but I do have a few irks with it. I find changing the panels around a faff. The battery life is nowhere near as long as the equilibrium. You don’t get the added benefit ofthe heat. The neck is useless, even on the tightest option the panels don’t sit flush with his neck so are basically just vibrating in the air.
Having said that, I do like that I can use it on his sacroiliac area, but for me it doesn’t warrant the price tag.

I use the panels on the shoulder (bottom pocket on neck part), along either side of spine, and the diagonal line on top of quarters. I only use this settings, and these make good contact. Those settings were my physio's suggestion as most useful for my horse.

I agree holds less charge but I think that is because the vibration is a lot more powerful. And the panels are lightweight.

Twohorses

Visit site
I was looking for maximum weight of the Sportz Vibe sheet and all I could find for weight was on Amazon.

It said 41 pounds!!! I think that is 18.6 kg?

I haven't lifted a saddle that heavy for well over 30 years much less a blanket:(.

Is that true --- the sheet weighs that much when it is fully loaded with panels????? That is an even bigger deal breaker than the cost (although that's a close second:(

Gypley

Visit site
Gosh no!
I can only speak in terms of the wireless version, but it’s a mesh rug that weighs next to nothing and the panels combined weight less than a bag of sugar. It comes with a rucksack to store everything in, but even taking that and packaging in to consideration, it’s definitely not that heavy !

flying_high

Visit site
Gosh no!
I can only speak in terms of the wireless version, but it’s a mesh rug that weighs next to nothing and the panels combined weight less than a bag of sugar. It comes with a rucksack to store everything in, but even taking that and packaging in to consideration, it’s definitely not that heavy !

Yes compared to other massage rugs (I've had blue Equissage and Mounty Roller, and tried and Equilibrium) the wireless sports vibe panels and mesh rug weighs very little, almost nothing.

Twohorses are you local to Surrey? Happy to show you rug in use if you are.

Twohorses

Visit site
Yes compared to other massage rugs (I've had blue Equissage and Mounty Roller, and tried and Equilibrium) the wireless sports vibe panels and mesh rug weighs very little, almost nothing.

Twohorses are you local to Surrey? Happy to show you rug in use if you are.

No:(. I'm in the southeast U.S. But thank you for your kind offer:)

I REALLY appreciate all of this great input!:):). I couldn't believe 41 pounds was correct as I can see the horse underneath the material. Then I thought maybe the panels must be really heavy.

<sigh>. This might put the Sportz Vibe sheet back in the running, even if I am too old to "stand on the street corner" to pay for it, lollol

Dover Saddlery sells them and they have a tack shop about 50 minutes from me. It's easy enough to take a drive over there. It would be great if someone has one sitting there on consignment for less money:)

If the Equilibrium had and extension to cover the sacrum, I would snatch one right up, as that is where the bulk of my horse's issues are --- a fractured sacrum from a 2006 accident.

I've been using LED red light therapy on him, at the advice of his vet/chiro. I decided to also try my chair vibrating/massage pad on him. Both seem to be helping him, now that he is used to the vibration of the massage pad. I think he would do a lot better if he had something that really was made for a horse:)