Equimats

EmmaJuliaClay

Visit site
Hi there,

First off, new here so hello to everyone!!

I was looking to get some thoughts about the use of matting in stables.

I am about to order some Equimats and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them, ease of use, fit, cushioning for horse.....I am a long time big shavings bed fan and the thought of using even a bale less a week is daunting (though not on the bank balance!)

Thoughts, aleternatives, good or bad.

Thanks guys

appyjude

Visit site
Go for it.....we haven't looked back.......saves loads and horses don't mind it at all.

Does take a while to get used to "there not being enough bedding" in there though!

J

EmmaJuliaClay

Visit site
you see I have tried to find ones that have give, they all seem so hard - I wouldn't want to lay on them, but then he is perfectly happy to lay on a rock hard field??

How much of a bed do you still use? I was thinking I would PROBABLY get down to about 1/2 a bed with it not pulled under haynets, round water buckets and all the way upto door. I shoudl point out that if I don't OH will make me eat them!!!! (he is footing the bill in exchange for me spending less money and time mucking out!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've had my equimats about three weeks now - very, very pleased with them. They were professionally fitted by the supplier, and went down very quickly.

I still use two bales of shavings a week - but compared with the previous four bales a week, it's a win, win situation.

They stand up very well to usage, and friends that have the same mats with very big horses on them have been delighted.

EmmaJuliaClay

Visit site
Hi Amy May

Do you have the standard or supersoft....actually you know what having just decided that we really don't need the supersoft I don't want to know!!!!

See snap right now I am using 4-5 bales a week so even if it save a bale a week they will have paid for themselves within the year and saved me money in the second.

Who did you buy them from, apparently I am (Hants) to far away for fitting to be cost effective

jnb

Visit site
I have a big cob and he has the Supersoft ones - but I have always used a full bed on them as he's grey and it saves him being filthy all the time.

I've moved them 3 times and they haven't worn in the slightest.
Money well spent, definitely - in fact, I'm toying with selling my 12' x 12' ones and upgrading to 16' x 13' as have moved to a yard with a bigger stable!

jnb

Visit site
PS - I bought and fetched mine direct from Equimat in Northampton (I think?) - fitted them myself. As they make them to measure it's no big deal as they are not that heavy and "jigsaw" together
Saved a packet doing it that way too (I think it was about 20% cheaper for cash and fetching them myself!!)

EmmaJuliaClay

Visit site
JNB - If you are seelling your 12 by 12 ones I woudl be interested as thats what I am about to order. PM me if you want to discuss it further!

So (if you don't fancy selling yours) it would be worth asking for a cash/collection price?

jnb

Visit site
I'd definitely ask! My friend and I ordered 3 lots of 12 x 12s (2 normal and one thicker ones) and from memory we got the VAT knocked off.
Try it and see!

Baileysno1

Visit site
LOVE EQUIMATS!!! I got 3 seond hand ones from a girl on here and have used them in 3 different stables for 2 different horses, I gave them away with Bails to my sharer after Ryu was sold, Bailey has always been on deep shavings and is very clean, the big difference is he is so much happier to lie down, before I'd rarely see him laid out but since hes had mats he doesn't want to get up most mornings hes still laid down when my friend arrives at the yard and on the afternoons hes in hes been lying down too, I've been on the cheaper black mats before and find them smelly hard to move and don't make a huge difference to bedding costs.

Madasmaz

Visit site
Had mine for 5 years...still going strong, only slight scuffing due to using road nails, but no capped hock or elbows, use a third of the shavings others on the yard do and it takes me 20 minutes to do a full muck out if I stop and chat
laugh.gif

They are also light enough for a 7 stoner to lift without putting your back out and easy to hose off and clean in the summer.

EmmaJuliaClay

Visit site
ok - well thats really interesting that they want to lay doen more and that you have experienced the cheaper black mats as that was a very strong contender.

how much bed do you use now?

K27

Visit site
I've had the standard Equimats for one of mine for the last 4 years nearly- they are really good, on average 1 to 2 bales of bedding per week for a large horse. Really easy to put down in the stable- only took me 10 minutes.

samp

Visit site
I have had mine for 1 year with a dirty mare and it takes me 5 mins to muck out in the week and then probably 20mins one day a week (when I remove all the wet). I also use 1 bale of bedding/ week so its a huge saving

irishdraught

Visit site
I got the thicker mats for our big draught who is a mucky so & so, loved them that much, I bought their wagon & wall mats. Now saving up to do the other stables.

If you are going to Badminton, they usually have a stand and have show reductions.

Folara

Visit site
I love my equimats. Had them down for about 2 years now and moved them a few times to clean etc.

My friend (Three on here) has some of the very original ones and although they are a little thinnner they are still very good.

Well worth the money and they do effectively pay for themselves.

LCobby

Visit site
My oldest set are 10 years old
They are brilliant, even our big chap in a 17ft x 1ft stable can be mucked out in a few minutes. I do a half bed, to mop up the wet, with small banks, leave front half of box clear.
A bale and a half of Snoflake a week for him, half to one bale for normal boxes and horses.

Baileysno1

Visit site
Bailey uses 1 bale a week of shavings at the moment, he has a full bed with banks, hes in allot so I expect he'll only use half a bale through the summer, he is a clean horse and small, but I'd garantee you'll use less shavings for sure.

dozzie

Visit site
I have both thicknesses, but went for the heavier ones for the bigger horses. i have a pony stable with the thicker ones for Lami cases if necessary. Both types are very hardwearing and easy to move. Also easy to muck out if you go for minimum bedding. i do have one horse who doesnt like splashback so he gets a bed on top. The only problem i have had is they move slightly. But that is because i didnt have them properly fitted. i got some cheap stuff to fill the gaps around the edges and no problems since.

They dont smell and i lift them once a year in the summer. Power wash them and then put them back. But none of my horses are in very much.

TGM

Visit site
A lot depends on how you want to use the mats. If you intend to still use quite a bit of bedding, then the cheaper thinner mats are fine. If you intend to go down the minimal bedding route and just have what I call a 'pee-patch' then you need top quality mats. I use the Fieldguard M2 mats for that reason - they have little rubber legs on the bottom of the mats which helps with drainage and also makes the mats springy to lie on. I feel if they are comfortable enough for me to lie on, then they are fine for the horses!