Equimins Advance Complete - Anyone else horse doesnt like/eat?

minimex2

Visit site
Getting really frustrated as this is a high spec supp and horse doesn't like! - even at half recommended dose and swapping from pellets to powder.

He also has joint supp in (he ate that no prob before I added into the equimins advance)

He's leaving his breakfast and as the joint supplement is quite expensive don't want him leaving. (cost as well as needs)

also added apple juice and fresh mint - but hes not being fooled.

anyone elses horse not like/eat? and did you switch to something else?

shame to take it out as the spec is really good.

thanks

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
hmm, Frank is usually a really fussy ******, he did start to get a bit picky about the pellets but is fine on the powder.

What else are you feeding? Agrobs was a revelation for us on the eating all your grub front!

Otherwise I would be getting samples of alternatives which for me would start with equivita/pro hoof/forageplus and a couple of others I cant' remember off hand.

whizzer

Visit site
I used to feed the pellet version to a youngster & I couldn't stand the smell,I thought it smelt awful & tainted the whole feed but he didn't seem bothered(he was a pig though) I wouldn't waste my time offering it to the other one as he's very funny about feed that smells weird & I just know he wouldn't touch it!

TPO

Visit site
I fed the powdered version to 2 of my 3 horses; both got very ill. I introduced it slowly and all was fine but the second tub gave them really loose droppings. It did take me a couple of days to figure out the only thing different from the third horse was this supplement; even in this short time one of them had burnt the skin with the droppings. They dried back up almost immediately when I stopped it. It might just have been a bad batch/tub and I did contact equimmins and send them two seperate samples (at my expense) for testing but they said that they didn't receive it so I didn't pursue it as I'd never feed it again.

They were never keen on it despite eating everything else.

If you're looking for other options what about Forage Plus, Progressive Earth or Equivita? Mine have all eaten balancers from those manufacturers with no issue.

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Yep, great supplement but my horse wouldnt touch his feed with even a spec of it in, it smells vile!

I was told the pelleting process makes the smell stronger and that the powder isnt quite as strong but mine wouldnt touch that either

southerncomfort

Visit site
Princess Picky ate it just fine, however she was recovering from illness so she was having fairly large buckets of yummy stuff to get the calories in so I don't suppose she really tasted it. It certainly does smell very strong!

supsup

Visit site
I admit, the pellets have a pretty strong smell, but I didn't think it was vile at all, and my horse ate them quite happily. I've also had Metabalance powdered supplement before, and that was okay too. Mine is used to a pretty plain bucket with powdered minerals though. I think the problem with the concentrated supplements is always that because they don't contain any fillers, they don't taste very good, and it takes most horses a while to get used to having their tasty dinner "ruined" by the supplement. At the beginning, I also tried all sorts of additives to mask the taste, but none of that worked. In the end, I think what's most reliable is to start with a base feed they really enjoy, and feed enough of it (or reduce supplement enough) that it is diluted enough to be tolerated.
I'd probably split feeds and give the joint supplement at one time, and the equimins in the other feed so you don't waste the joint supplement, and can experiment with slowly ramping up the equimins dose (literally starting with a pinch).

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I've always fed it to every horse without a issue, wouldn't use any other supplement as all mine look amazing on it. Its high spec without all the crap added