Equine 74 Gastric?

Ambers Echo

Visit site

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I tried Aloe Vera juice with Deedee but she did not improve on it unfortunately. I had high hopes! I’ve ordered the Equine 74 Gastric and will update if anyone is interested x

I'm Dun

Visit site
Have a look at the research on Nexium. Costs about £30 for a months course and is at least as effective as standard ulcer treatment. Its an OTC drug for humans. Some vets will sanction its use on horses now.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Just going to list her symptoms on day zero - then update weekly to see if anything changes.
- disliked being groomed - acts like she is itchy or sore
- dull coat
- puts ears back at sight of tack
- opens mouth, mouths bars of stable when tacked up
- girthy
- chomps the bit - not when ridden but when just stood waiting with bridle on.

She has always hated being groomed but the rest is new and I am sure linked to pain and box rest.

I feel a bit bad riding her when she is uncomfortable but vet was clear that she needs work to strengthen the pelvis and increase the range of movement. And that her pelvis and her gut should improve at the same time as each other. So I am following that advice.

She is actually really well behaved under saddle and she gets better and better as the session goes on. Swings more, softens and relaxes more. She felt lovely in our lesson today.

abbijay

Visit site
I would definitely give Amanda at Equine74 a ring, she's lovely and will be able to help you.
It has been very popular with a couple of people on our yard.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Update 1 after a week:

- Skin seems less sensitive
- Coat soft and shiny
- still puts ears back at sight of tack
- still opens mouth, when tacked up but less mouthing of the bars
- slightly less girthy
- more relaxed under saddle, Softer and swinging more./
- Still chomps bit.

So I think she is more comfortable but is still feeling something. I am impressed so far! It's not the increased turn out either - she has been snow/iced in since Saturday.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Another update. After 4 weeks she was no longer girthy or mouthy. Coat shiny and soft. Skin MUCH less sensitive. Relaxed under saddle. Still puts ears back at tack but she always has done that.

Then she ran out so I switched to a cheaper supplement that others on the yard rave about: Mallow root and yeasacc and something else I can't recall. Within a week she was girthy and grinding her teeth again. So that is pretty conclusive: it works very well! But a month was not enough to fully resolve whatever is going on. So I have bought a 4 month supply. Apparently horses can stay on it forever but I would rather know why ulcers are not resolving more permanently if she goes girthy again whenever coming off the supplement.

At the moment I am not too worried as she has had recent yard moves and the pain of an injury to deal with. Plus she was not on it very long. So we shall see how she gets on after a longer stint on it.

Squeak

Visit site
One of your posts previously led me to try the Ron Fields supplements for my horse that I suspected had hind gut ulcers and the difference it made to my boy was huge. I've kept meaning to go back to your thread to thank you.

I'm really glad you've found something that has helped Lottie. The only thing I'd mention re the ulcers not resolving and being on the supplement longer term is that my understanding and experience of them with my boy is that things like a flush of grass can trigger them so as I know what is triggering them I don't think I'd feel the need to do further investigations. If however they weren't going or you couldn't find a cause for them, then I'd agree about investigating to check if pain was causing them.

Fingers crossed once you've resolved them you don't find any underlying issues :)

lynz88

Visit site
Update 1 after a week:

- Skin seems less sensitive
- Coat soft and shiny
- still puts ears back at sight of tack
- still opens mouth, when tacked up but less mouthing of the bars
- slightly less girthy
- more relaxed under saddle, Softer and swinging more./
- Still chomps bit.

So I think she is more comfortable but is still feeling something. I am impressed so far! It's not the increased turn out either - she has been snow/iced in since Saturday.

Would you consider whether the 4 day free trial is worth it? I'm keen to give this a try. Your initial symptoms are sounding familiar....

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I really rate it but whether 4 days is enough I can't say. She seemed better that quickly but I chnaged a few things at the same time x

lynz88

Visit site
Maybe I will get my friend to request a trial and I will request a trial for a total of 8 days just to see.....?