Equine Assisted Therapy and Autism

Clin_Psych_Kate

New User
Visit site
Hi all,
I am a second year Trainee Clinical Psychologist, currently undertaking my doctorate at the University of Hertfordshire.

As part of my course, I am undertaking research about Equine Assisted Therapy and females with a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC). As a keen equestrian, I feel very fortunate to be able to conduct research about a subject very close to my heart!

The ratio of males to females with an ASC stands at 4:1. There have been many theories as to why this may be, but most prominently it has been argued that females display different behaviours (e.g. masking) when compared with males. Diagnostic procedures and interventions have relied highly on a male evidence base, and therefore, are not tailored to females. The result of this leads to late diagnosis and a higher proportion of mental health difficulties for females.

Equine therapy has started to gain recognition as an intervention for neurodevelopmental disorders, however studies are limited in nature. Therefore, I am interested in exploring this intervention in relation to adolescent females with an ASC diagnosis.

Service user feedback and involvement is very important to this project. Therefore, whilst I have started an interview schedule, I would really appreciate your views on what feels relevant to ask and explore in the interviews. If you have any experience of undertaking Equine Therapy (or attended an RDA centre), or yourself or a female family member has been diagnosed with an ASC, I would be interested in hearing your views.

Please feel free to PM me for more information about the project if you wish.

Thank you!
Kate

tashcat

Visit site
I would really recommend getting in touch with as many RDA groups as you can.
I used to volunteer before moving away, and the majority of those with autism were boys - I remember an instructor telling me the condition was more common in men. The proportion of males at the centre with a different disability was very low.

Clin_Psych_Kate

New User
Visit site
Thank you both.

I'm currently liaising with a local equine therapy organisation who are happy to help with participants, however if I can't get the required numbers for my interview, that's certainly something to think about!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have an ASC diagnosis (late diagnosis as a female) but no experience of equine therapy beyond my own, though there is a centre that runs near where I am now. There are a few of us on here so you might get some more replies if they spot it too :). Feel free to pm me if that would help.

The daughter of a good friend started going to god unlimited above when she was 18 as her first intro to horses and then went on to equine college :).