Equine atypical myopathy

Izzy_Gem

Visit site
Can anyone explain Equine atypical myopathy to me? there seem to be an increasing amount of cases of this in my area and i am getting quite worried about it. I was told that bringing horses in at night reduces the likelyhood of a horse contracting this illness but dont really understand why? any info would be much appreciated.

Umbongo

Visit site
Unfortunately I don't think even vets understand why. I had never heard of it until my friends boy died last week from it :(

ISHmad

Visit site
This is absolutely terrifying the speed which it takes hold. Friends of ours lost three horses at their yard to this. (They were in Lancashire).

zoelouisem

Visit site
There was a lady on here a few weeks ago that lost her horse to this, it was so sad she competed him on the friday qualified for another show and he had to be PTS by saturday afternoon. The horse was so young!!! I was shocked it took a hold so quick!!!!:(

Kelsov

New User
Visit site
Hi, I know of 3 confirmed deaths to Equine Atypical Myopathy (EAM) in the Marazion to St Erth Area of West Cornwall in the last 2/3 weeks. Have also just been told of a further 3 in the last couple of days but this is unconfirmed. There is very little known about EAM but there is a very good factsheet on it on Rosevean Vets website (www.roseveanvets.co.uk). I have done loads of research on the internet and haven't been able to find much more information than is on this factsheet. Spring and Autumn tend to be the danger times and there is a suggestion that if you have had a case then it may well be more likely to appear again the next season - I have read that you should consider never again grazing the affected fields in Spring or Autumn. It has not been proven to be contagious and is thought to be caused by a bacteria (bacterium!?!). Please read up on this condition to have some idea of the symptons as this is a horrible illness that seems to have a mortality rate of between 60% and 95% (depends what you read) and develops rapidly. There is no vaccine so all we can do is stay vigilant. The above mentioned fact sheet also gives some idea of measures that can be taken to try and prevent the onset of EAM but as so little is known about the condition these are only suggestions - nothing has been proven. I will be following the advice for my horses and keeping my fingers crossed that we have seen the last of it.

pootleperkin

Visit site
This disease seemed to start to rear its ugly head last year in our area - think it is something to do with the mild autumns we have had the last couple of years.

We were told that horses in fields with a lot of tree cover around them seemed to be most at risk; something to do with leaf mold creating good conditions for the bacteria in question to grow, I think, but can't remember exactly.

Certainly the ones that went around here were in tree surrounded fields.

Fingers crossed not too many go this year - it is another one like grass sickness, seemingly without too much rhyme or reason :(

ruthcassettari

New User
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I too have lost my youngster due to Atypical myopathy last week. I have a BSc in Equine Science and am using it to help collect research and have the help and backing of many veterinary surgeons also.

You can help as i am collecting information on all horses that have suffered from this tragic condition in order to correlate as much information so that we can develop a better understanding of the situation and try to begin to understand/find out what is causing it.

Could anyone with information please email me ruth.cassettari@virgin.net if you are happy to forward information it will be put to good use, blood test results would also be fantastic to get the best insight possible. Horse and hound are running an article on this condition this week. Keep smiling people - I know how devastating it is

cowgal Nik

New User
Visit site
I lost my 4 year old last week and I belive it was this also, I am from Jersey.It seems to me mor and more cases are rearing there ugly head - and people need to be made aware to help prevent more die.

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi, I heard today that there have been 10 cases confirmed in the Goldsithney/st erth area of cornwall now. There is apparently an emergency vets meeting in Penzance tonight.

I further heard that horses out on poor quality grazing 24/7 are at most risk (although this may just be speculation)

I am moving my mare to be with my gelding in a week or so, as far as I'm concerned it can't come too soon, I love my livery yard but this is really worrying :(

to everyone on here that has lost a horse to this, I am very sorry for your loss, it looks a horrific condition :(

Kokopelli

Visit site
Horrible condition
It takes hold very very quickly and my vet recommended keeping them in 24/7 this time of year as its the autum weather which seems to cause it

Unfortunatly there is just not enough information on it.

Have a look at your field though ones with trees and fungus are at more risk and my vet said something about teh grass having rust colourse spots on it and fields with not very good drainage are more likely to have it.

However, hardly any horses are able to get it, so the field could have the toxins but your horse may be absolutly fine as he is unable to contract disease

If your that worried though bring him in

gaelann

Visit site
I nearly lost my boy early April 2010 and one of the few to have seen it in oxon

luckily I have a survivor

The only thing my field had in common with the possible causes was lack of grass and water logged

miss_bird

Visit site
Crumbs this is the first have heard about it, after reading the posts above it is darn scary, and happens so fast.
So sorry to all those who have lost their horse to the terrible condition.
To me the worst thing about it is that there is not definate reason for it happening and no vaccine

samrom

New User
Visit site
equine atypical myopathy (EAM) is believed to be caused by a toxin ingested by grazing horses, usually in the autumn or spring, possibly caused by bacteria from fungal spores or plant life, although this is not confirmed. it is a deadly complaint and seems to be more prevelant in horses under 3yrs of age or elderly. it presents as stiffness behind, dark urine, difficulty in walking, nasal membranes are dark pink or purple in colour, there can be excessive head shaking and vocalisation, possible colic symptoms although the horse will still want to eat. muscle tremors and also lethargy. it appears to be soil borne and is not catching as say strangles is, the death rate is very high and early diagnosis and treatment is essential for any chance of survival, two foals in my area have died within an hour of onset of symptoms so it is very quick. advice is to bring horses in where possible to restrict grazing time or if not possible then ensure horses are kept away from leaves on the ground and damp humid areas especially around streams and water courses where fungal growth is more likely. this is a very nasty illness so do everything you can to protect your horses

immoralorchid

Visit site
there have been 8 cases of this in my area and one just up the road really scared dont want to keep my mares in all the time what can i look for in the fields to see if they are at risk

samrom

New User
Visit site
there have been 8 cases of this in my area and one just up the road really scared dont want to keep my mares in all the time what can i look for in the fields to see if they are at risk

hey there,

first things first, this is a toxin in the soil which is believed to be caused by fungal spores and certain weather conditions.
look for any kind of fungal growth in your field, ie mushrooms or even mold from dead leaves lying on the ground and causing humidity in which the bacteria can breed. natural water courses like springs, ponds, rivers and streams are a risk area as well as damp boggy places and heavily treed field perimiters. fence your horses away from these kinds of areas. poo pick regularly aswell as dung creates heat as it decomposes. bringing your horses in at night can reduce the risk as if a small ammount of toxin is ingested it gives the immune system time to flush it out, however i wouldnt rely on this as every horse is different and eats at different rates, therefore would ingest the toxin in different quantities. shorter grass is more of a risk as the horse is grazing closer to the soil and more likely to ingest the toxin so if you can strip graze daily into longer areas of grass, but check it first for the pre mentioned leaves and mold or fungal growth. finally nothing can compensate for as regular checking as possible of your horse and if you have the slightest concern..RING YOUR VET, time is of the essence,
my horses live out and i would prefer not to bring them in if i can help it so this is what i am doing and so far, touch wood, my boys r ok. the closest to me at the moment is 10 miles away so im staying vigillant.

Last edited:

samrom

New User
Visit site
Crumbs this is the first have heard about it, after reading the posts above it is darn scary, and happens so fast.
So sorry to all those who have lost their horse to the terrible condition.
To me the worst thing about it is that there is not definate reason for it happening and no vaccine

it seems that it isnt being publicised officially at the moment, which it should be!!!! however the reports i have heard are from people with first hand experience so it is happening.... 6 more today, one a little girls pony,..not that its any worse for that but such a shame, if there had been media awareness would she have lost her pony??? who knows....

darkangel1243

photobucket.com
Posted in vet too.

I received this today via FB link from the vets. Still very sad for all those effected by this:-

McGonnell & Gillatt Equine Veterinary Practice
There appear to be some unfounded rumours regarding the recent illness of some horses at Hall Place Equestrian Centre, Tilehurst. With their permission, we would like to release the following information in order to dispel the hysteria: There have been two ponies afflicted with a severe illness which resulted in their rapid death, and one more pony is critically ill in hospital. There are also several others mildly affected by what appears to be the same thing. These ponies are all in the same field, and the blood results indicate that the illness appears to be due to a toxin somehow taken in from the pasture. It is not believed to be infectious or contagious. There are over 30 other horses at Hall Place who are in contact with the affected horses whose blood results and health are completely normal. We are awaiting the results of further tests, and have veterinary experts from across the country involved to try to find the cause of this illness. Although there was initially a question over whether the first death was due to Atypical Myopathy, subsequent information from the blood samples and similarity to the others affected has ruled this out.

charlie76

Visit site
Can I ask if any of the horses who suffered with it had their bloods tested for liver and kidney damage?
The reason for asking is We lost three this week with what seemed to be atypical myopathy. One of the horses had a full blood profile done on it and it showed acute liver and kidney failure. We analysised the blood taken from the other two. Same thing.
We blood tested every horse in the field. Allx 20 had liver and kidney damage .
This is not consistent with myopathy.
The liver of the second pony was sent to liphook and rather than AM as suspected a diagnosis off serum hepatitis was diagnoised.
This is thought to be caused by an unseen algae in troughs.
The symptoms were the image if AM but having researched it, they are similar.
We are currently waiting tox reports and test results on the water by environmental health.
It is not contagious but could explain some of these deaths.
It is also geographical so you get clusters of it in certain areas but at different yards.
We ended up with three dead and four on drips that recovered.
Its also called theilers disease.
will post When I know more.

darkangel1243

photobucket.com
Sorry to hear about your ponies.
I live down the road so to speak such sad news. My friend who keeps her horses at mine is good friends with a lady who works there so we are being kept in the loop sort of.
Hope they find they cause very soon.

charlie76

Visit site
So do we! Seem to have stopped it by taking the horse off grass. Nightmare situation. At least the yard can remain open.

Three

Visit site
I lost my mare Millie (Miller's Song - the bay in my sig) to Atypical Myopathy on the 6th of this month. She was pm'd and confirmed as AM. AM initially attacks the slow-twitch muscle fibres mainly found in postural and respiratory muscles and it appears to be caused by either Mycotoxins or Clostridial toxins - but as yet that cannot be confirmed.

The disease is called 'atypical' for good reason, there are some similarities between cases but no fixed pattern. My mare was on good pasture with no water course near by although her fields were boundaried by trees. We have plenty of grass so wasn't grazing close to the soil. She was fit and well and hacking four or five days a week. She was regularly worm tested and fully vaccinated. She was 19 years old and lived out but fed hard feed and checked twice daily.

Millie was fed and checked on Saturday night as usual and appeared to be fine, showing no symptoms of anything other than wanting her tea!
The following morning she was seen upright and grazing at 7am. At 8am a friend noticed her lying down and thought she looked unusually still so called her. Millie looked up but didn't look 'quite right'. Another friend phoned me and got her up and into her stable and called my vet.

I was on the yard by 10 past 8 and Millie was in her stable eating hay. I took her temperature which was normal. By quarter past 8 she was wanting to lie down and starting to sweat. I suspected colic so started walking her.

My vet was with us by 8.30ish, retook her temp (still normal) but found a massively elevated heart-rate (60 beats/min) and could hear little or no gut noise. Vet thought it was possibly colic with a displaced bowel so phoned to have Millie admitted to hospital with potential surgery.

We were at the vets by 10am by which time Millie was sweating and shaking. Lots of tests later (done by an incredible team of three nurses and two vets who were all brilliant) showed suspected AM with the most obvious sign being dark brown urine (taken by catheter). She was immediately put on two drips to try to get fluids into her and flush her system and I was warned she was fighting for her life.
Within an hour she was obviously in so much pain the vets put her onto morphine and by early afternoon she was down, in pain and unable to get up.

By 8pm (12 hours after the first symptoms) the vets told me her system had closed down completely and she was in significant pain even through the morphine. They advised euthanasia given the pain levels, uncontrollable elevated heart rate (over 80 beats/min) and the damage to her system.

I've not posted this for sympathy - in fact I'd prefer none at all please - but so that people can see the symptoms and rapid progression of this horrible but very rare disease. The more we can learn about it the sooner prevantative or curative medicine can be found.

This is an excellent website http://www.myopathieatypique.fr/en if you wish to learn more. Although a french site it is in English too.