Equine boots- Necessary or fashionable

Lady2021

Visit site
Actually they have been proven to prevent injury. They are useful for horses that have ligaments issues. There is a horse at a riding school I used to go to have to have boots on anytime he is ridden because he has ligament issues. Honestly probably biased study. Just because you’re against them doesn’t mean you have to write a thread bashing people who use boots and I now someone how horse was became a retired after hit a pole because the horse had a awful injury without boots. Btw I don’t even own any boots

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This is a very old thread. Not that it matters I suppose, but attitudes to things like this do change over time. I seem to remember that 10ish years ago the overheated tendons thing did get mentioned a lot.

Lady2021

Visit site
This is a very old thread. Not that it matters I suppose, but attitudes to things like this do change over time. I seem to remember that 10ish years ago the overheated tendons thing did get mentioned a lot.
Opps I didn’t realize I only saw the recent reply’s that where posted yesterday.

Mule

Visit site
I used them when competing xc. I haven't used them show jumping or xc schooling because I'd rarely jump higher than 1metre and my horse is careful of himself.

I have never used them for flat work, but we aren't doing extravagant half passes or anything that athletic.

muddybay

Visit site
When mine first came he used to wear brushing boots for schooling because he was so wobbly. He always wears them for lunging and front tendons for jumping. He doesn't wear boots for flatwork now and only wears back boots when I hack or lunge.

Littlewills

Visit site
Actually they have been proven to prevent injury. They are useful for horses that have ligaments issues. There is a horse at a riding school I used to go to have to have boots on anytime he is ridden because he has ligament issues. Honestly probably biased study. Just because you’re against them doesn’t mean you have to write a thread bashing people who use boots and I now someone how horse was became a retired after hit a pole because the horse had a awful injury without boots. Btw I don’t even own any boots

Can you link to the research please? Becuase I will be stunned if theres peer reviewed research proving boots are helpful for ligament issues

quizzie

Visit site
I would be very careful of extrapolating that paper to normal everyday boot use
....they only discussed walk and trot, not canter or jumping....they were discussing rehab of damaged tendons, not prevention....no mention was made therefore of heat build up during faster work with thicker boots..etc etc..!

...and in their conclusion, they mention that not using the full range of movement during healing could have consequences that they did not examine.