Equine Bowen therapy

Leggy56

New User
Visit site
Hi Everyone.
First time user!
Has anyone ever used Equine Bowen Therapy.
I have a 17 year old 17 hand Trakener who appears uncomfortable on both hind legs - vet thinks it SUSPENSORY APPARATUS DAMAGE but not sure and treating with Danilon (not happy about that).
I had an equine sports massage therapist out yesterday and she says there seems to be evidence of sciatica - which makes more sense than SAD (as above). Am having the vet out again tomoro but before I go down the road of acupuncture or Chiropractic work I wanted to explore the Bowen Therapy.
Any advice out there or anyone with similar problems/issues with their precious ones.

Last edited:

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I don't know much about Bowen, other than it seems to help a lot of horses. There is a lovely lady on here who does Bowen. Not sure what area you are in, but she may be able to recommend a Bowen practitioner if she can't help personally. I'll point her in the direction of this thread :)

scally

Visit site
bowen4horses on here is (used to be clipcloppop). Send her a PM she will be more than happy to offer you help and advice.

BigRed

Visit site
I would listen to vet or a properly qualified equine physio or equine chiropractor. Sports Therapists and massagers do not fall under the same category at all.

Bowen is a "touch and massage" therapy which having watched a lady work on my horse, was a complete and utter waste of £50.

lelly

Visit site
Can't comment on bowen for horses but can say it is brilliant on humans. Two years ago I couldn't lift my arms/hands up above waist level, no idea why. Doctors couldn't find out what was wrong, had xrays and physio which didn't do any good at all. Had to have help dressing as couldn't manage on my own. It was very painful too. I decided to try Bowen therapy after trying many other treatments. After four sessions everything was getting better. It's all back to normal now. It's a strange treatment but for me it definitely worked.

Leggy56

New User
Visit site
Thanks very much for all the comments. Situation at the moment is Vet has re-examined and not convinced its Sciatica - however has recommended a call out my Chiropractor first and then take it from there. Meanwhile still on the Danilon!!!!
Will keep posted but many many thanks again.