Equine Cremation

Joanne4584

Visit site
Hi. I think I have made the decision to have my boy PTS, depending on some X-Ray results tomorrow.

Has anyone on here had their horse cremated? If so what kind of price should I be looking at? And what did you do with their ashes?

xx

Annie B.

Visit site
Hi, I an unable to help you with the price of individual cremation as my experience was nearly 18 years ago, but that is what I chose to do when the time came for my first horse. I used a pet crematorium that was recommended by both my small and large animal veterinary practises as I wanted to be sure I got my boy back and collected his ashes about a week after he was PTS. The ashes I buried on the land at the back of my house where he had been grazing for the 15 years that I had owned him , fortunately the lady I was on livery with was very understanding in allowing me to do this. I have a little plaque on the stables in my garden just above where he is buried with a few words of of my thoughts. It means the world to me that I know where he is. I am sorry you are having to think about this and that things are better with the X-rays than you are expecting. Hugs.x

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I have had 2 cremated in the last 3 years, but I only paid for them to be taken away and cremated (not individual) as I didn't want the ashes. Personally for me I took there tail hair and had them made into jewelry. A box of dust wasn't them, I have the memories of the good times. It cost about £250 to have them taken away as I had them done by injection, if I had had the knackerman out to shot them I think it was only about £20 more but neither were able to due to head issues.

twiggy2

Visit site
sorry to hear your news but in answer to your question anywhere between £5-800 for cremation with ashes back depending on size and your location. people I know who have had ashes back just seem to have them sitting about once the situation has settled.
I don't have ashes back from anything as I feel it is a big expense that helps people feel better about the situation at the time but later they don't seem to mean much.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
Im sorry to hear about your possible loss, could you ring round a few places to get a rough idea of price?

Near me there is only one cremation place that does horses, and I have to say they were worth every penny. They cremated both my dogs a few years before and were lovely. My horse sadly died early Friday morning rather suddenly, I remember ringing her and barely being able to get a full sentance out inbetween the tears. She was lovely and arrange for him to be picked up straight away and talked me through what options I wanted (ie casket, etc) I had him cremated by himself and he was returned to me on the Monday in a beautiful wooden casket with his name engraved on the top. She hand delivered him back to my horse and even put his shoes in a bag for me. She even commented on what a handsome boy he was, which again started the tears. I have to say receiving him back in a box was the most upsetting thing of the whole process, i think I struggled to believe that my beautiful horse was being delivered in a wooden box. The box is also rather large...and heavy, he has been in my garage ever since because I cant think were I want to put him. He has nearly been gone two years and I think I would like to scatter him somewhere now, rather him live in my garage! I had a bracelet made from his tail, and this is a far more prized possession, i find the ashes really upsetting.

I hope the results with the xrays go well, I have myself been there x

lamlyn2012

Visit site
sorry you are having to face this. I have had two cremated and had the ashes returned and I have these at home. At some stage I will scatter them at our favourite hacking place where we had so much fun. I paid £200 last time for individual cremation which was 2years ago. Personally I found it very helpful having the ashes returned.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi. I think I have made the decision to have my boy PTS, depending on some X-Ray results tomorrow.

Has anyone on here had their horse cremated? If so what kind of price should I be looking at? And what did you do with their ashes?

xx

I have had 3 cremated here on my website>>http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/in-memoriam--cremation-of-your-horse-or-pony.html.

please view the site you will have many questions answered.
There is lots of useful information on that researched by me when I went through this 2 years ago. Lots of questions and answer for you to view and recommended places who are registered with the APPCC.

The company I used left me with a bad taste wont mention on here the name........... so next time I am going to use http://www.equineandpetservices.co.uk/ who invited us along to view the premises prior and you can be there while it happens, also he only picks up one horse at a time unless best friends are requested to be cremated together. The company I use often pics up several at a time. So you can imagine some times how they travel

The ashes I still have from all my horses 1995 - 2007 and 2012. even my cats. I have requested in my will that when i get cremated I want their ashes and mine in one hole with a nice fruit tree on top, so we will all be together again. That is my personal request they are all in a nice wooden casket with a brass plaque stored up in the roof space for safety.

Last edited:

3OldPonies

Visit site
So very sorry to hear that you are having to make such an awful decision.

I recently had one of mine cremated and it cost about £280. That was for a 'straighforward disposal', i.e. group cremation and no ashes back. Via a recommendation from my vet, I had no idea who to turn to as it was an emergency situation that led to him being PTS.

I also must say, the replies on here from those people who did have ashes back have helped me come to terms with the decision I made. I too felt that it would be very upsetting to me to have to go and collect a box with what remained of my boy inside. I know it all depends on the person and is very much an individual choice, but I do feel a little better having now heard from other people. The vet made me a very nice braid from his mane before he was collected and that was quite upsetting enough at the time, now I strangely feel some comfort for having it, so I'm very glad that he did.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I had my 14hh pony cremated individually which cost £650, we got his ashes back in a wicker basket and took them to his favourite place on earth the beach and scattered them in the sea. I was pleased we did as I felt we had sent him off properly, he was very special to me and my family.

The cremation place was recommended by our vet so maybe ask yours if there is anyone they would recommend.

Sorry you are going through this. X

mandyroberts

Visit site
I had my horse cremated and the ashes returned in a large wooden casket. He sits in my lounge in the fireplace and will be with me forever. I had him 22 years and if people think I'm weird I don't care. I think it cost me £450. I hope your news is better than you are expecting. We are all different and you just do whatever you decide is right for you x

BlackRider

Visit site
Sorry to hear about this.

I lost my horse last year, think it was about £250 for the vets to do the deed.

I then paid £600 for the individual cremation, and return of casket. (my horse was an arab - just mentioning this for size indication)

I'm glad I did this, and her casket is in my lounge too.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
can I also add for those mentioning they did not want to go collect the ashes. I had mine returned by the company and I told them to put her in the boot of my car and put a blanket on her, then I found a livery boyfriend who transferred her to the loft so I never saw her in the casket though I have seen the other two now. In time I will see her casket but not now its still too raw.

eggs

Visit site
I've unfortunately had to have a few horses cremated over the last 10 years. The first time was very traumatic having to have my first homebred rushed to the RVC at 4 in the morning when he was just 3 years old. Three hours later he was dead and I couldn't think straight. As I didn't have his ashes returned to me I didn't feel I should have the others back either so have had group cremation. It costs around £280 for collection and cremation. Whatever option you decide on I would really recommend that you do not stay to watch your horse hoisted into the wagon.

Breez

Visit site
I paid around the 350 mark last year for group cremation, no ashes back. As others have said, a box of dust just wasn't him, and I was quoted in the region of 800 for individual with ashes returned. The vet bill was big enough without the extra on top.

foraday

Visit site
Usually your vet will have a discount scheme with a company or two.

My vets use Peaceful Pets and they are owned by two very caring horse owners themselves.

Horses are picked up in a Horse Ambulance which is such a nice touch that owners don't fret and get themselves more upset with the usual 'knackermans truck'.

Only one horse is picked up at a time as well, again very touching for the distraught owner.

I cannot recommend them enough.

Price for individual is 550 and I can't remember if that includes the vet as well, I think it does

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Like above poster I have never or will ever watch them hoisted in. I check the van make sure its clean say my goodbyes and walk away and don't look back.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
My previous horse was pts very suddenly in the middle of the night at the RVC. At the time I wasn't thinking straight and when they asked what I wanted I agreed with individual cremation. I think it cost something like £750, I can't remember the name of the company that did it, it is just the one that RVC use. My insurance paid £350 and I had to pay £400. The delivered the casket back, tbh I'm not even sure how, maybe my mum dealt with it? A lot of that period is a blur :( The casket now lives in my mums living room and once I have made space then I will have it with me. I did think about scattering the ashes but I couldn't think of anywhere to do it, I was too upset to go back to the yard I'd had him on so I couldn't do it there. I quite like having him in the casket though. I would really like to have some jewellery made of his tail but they didn't take much hair when they did it so I'm not sure of the options and I'm a bit worried that if it came out wrong that would be all his hair gone. I might test something out with my current horse's hair first.

Joanne4584

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your replies. The x-rays were fine which has left both me and my vet rather surprised. It sounds awful but I was hoping they would be bad so then it would be easier to make a decision about when to say goodbye. It is still very much an option though due to all his problems.

I have decided on cremation. I would like his ashes back, cause I will want to know where he is. All my other pets are buried in my parent's garden so hopefully they'll let me have Bertie there too. I can't think of anywhere I'd want to scatter the ashes so I'll probably bury them and get a little plaque/headstone. We had loads of fun hacks near my parent's house so it has lots of nice memories.

My vet said I can e-mail him any questions I have about the whole PTS thing cause I said I'd get too upset to be able to talk about it. I told him I wanted to go down the cremation route.

I'm also looking into horse hair jewellery, and also maybe a small tattoo (very tasteful and not screaming "dead horse").

Once again thank you, it's good to hear from other's who have had their horse cremated. I don't know anyone who has.xx

Doris68

Visit site
Well, I think 4 weeks after my beautiful lady was PTS, I may have the courage to collect her ashes. The plan(?) is to scatter some of her ashes on the fields where she has been for nearly 20 years and then keep some in the casket. We won't be staying in our place as there is too much land and I won't be getting another horse - it's the end of an era, so we will take the casket with us wherever we may go. She needs to come home and I need to have her home.

Evie91

Visit site
I used Kingshill. Went for an individual cremation, ashes back and will scatter on her Birthday (12th May). Cost was £675.
The company were brilliant, very respectful, able to communicate with me when I could barely speak through tears and talked me through what would happen.
They picked her up in a very professional way.
They don't contact you but wait for you to contact them to collect. I didn't get my girl for almost a month as was too upset. When I did she was waiting on a table in a wicker basket, posey of flowers and candles lit either side.
Take someone with you though as the ashes are very heavy! She's in the living room currently (as I always said she could have come in but could fit through the door).
I took some hair whilst she was still alive (as didn't want to take from her when dead). I'd like some jewellery made, but think I took enough hair (it was important to me to send her on her way looking smart, so didn't want chunks missing).
So sorry you are having to go through this, it's a really tough time.

Bertolie

Visit site
I recently had to have my horse pts. He was collected from equine clinic and taken for cremation. I chose the group cremation option as I didn't want the ashes back. It cost me £370. I had some of his mane, tail and forelock cut before he was euthanised.

Greylegs

Visit site
I used Kingshill. Went for an individual cremation, ashes back and will scatter on her Birthday (12th May). Cost was £675.
The company were brilliant, very respectful, able to communicate with me when I could barely speak through tears and talked me through what would happen.
They picked her up in a very professional way.
They don't contact you but wait for you to contact them to collect. I didn't get my girl for almost a month as was too upset. When I did she was waiting on a table in a wicker basket, posey of flowers and candles lit either side.
Take someone with you though as the ashes are very heavy! She's in the living room currently (as I always said she could have come in but could fit through the door).
I took some hair whilst she was still alive (as didn't want to take from her when dead). I'd like some jewellery made, but think I took enough hair (it was important to me to send her on her way looking smart, so didn't want chunks missing).
So sorry you are having to go through this, it's a really tough time.

I've used these people too and they were absolutely brilliant. Just to mention something though (sorry if this is a bit gorey ...) Kingshill are, I understand, one of the few places in the UK who cremated whole horses as their "facility" is large enough to take a horse. The guy mentioned this to me as I was picking my boy up a week or so later and, to be honest, I hadn't thought about the alternative at all (ie ... Using somewhere with a smaller cremator!) I'll leave you to think on that as you make your decision, and ask questions when the time comes.

He's scattered in his favourite hacking woodland and I like to think of him cantering around in the sunshine.

All the best, whatever you decide to do.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

xx
yes 3 cremated I found this website very useful

Gives an incite for what you get and recommendations - as there are very cruel people out there who say they will give you the service and respect but they don't

http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly...ation-of-your-horse-or-pony-or-other-pet.html

Last edited:

Doris68

Visit site
Thank you Evie. You're right, it's a really tough time but it will get better....eventually. I also took some hair and will have a bracelet made. The people who took her away (Clark's of Melton, Suffolk) were really wonderful and didn't disturb us, took off her rugs and folded them and placed them on the fence, levelled out the manege and there was no trace that they'd even been. My husband will come with me to collect her ashes - probably later today. I can't say I'm looking forward to it at all. Oh well, must kick on.......