Equine flu

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Yes a lot of people seem to think racing acted slowly I think they’ve been pretty quick given the published timelines.

They have acted quickly - what I don't get it why horses from a yard with suspected flu travelled to race. Unless that is not the time-line but it sounds like it if the horses were confirmed with flu on Thursday and horses from that yard raced Wednesday.

CJoe

Visit site
They have acted quickly - what I don't get it why horses from a yard with suspected flu travelled to race. Unless that is not the time-line but it sounds like it if the horses were confirmed with flu on Thursday and horses from that yard raced Wednesday.
must have been unaware that there was flu in their yard at that point, I do not believe they would have moved them otherwise

Ambers Echo

Visit site
They were aware enough to be testing them for flu! So they had symptoms if not confirmation of flu during a flu outbreak.

Visit site

It was confirmed as flu late yesterday evening. Uptil that point it could just have been a nasty bug/viral infection that was contained within the yard.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes I doubt flu was the only thing they were testing for/probably really wasn’t expected given the vaccination status. I suspect that will be under investigation along the line though.

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks for the helpful info SEL. Rose was due for her vacc on the 12th March but I have booked her in for next Monday. We are competing on Saturday, that is going ahead but the recommendation is to get a booster if not done in the last 6 months and they want to see our passports before we compete to check we are up to date which seems fair.

catkin

Visit site
For those of you who understand these things -
I know that racing is the only sport stopped at the moment. Would it be helpful if the rest of the equestrian world went into lockdown now as well to stop it as quickly as possible? It's not yet full season for everyone else, would a stop now help lessen trouble a few months down the line, or does it not work like that?

Visit site
All racing is Britain has been cancelled until the 13th of February. Hopefully the outbreak is contained to one yard. All others are being tested tomorrow so obviously results wont be back for a few days and the labs will be working in over drive with over 1000 swabs being sent in.

Visit site
Catkin, a general lockdown barring essential travel would be the ideal. Whether it will happen is another thing, I doubt it.

A show Devon? Is carrying on on Saturday as their vets say there is very little threat to them. The confirmed cases are mostly up norf (ie. Above London...). I can see their point but flu isnt like strangles. It can pass on very quickly and easily and before you know it everyone has it. I do hope it remains confined to where it is now and it dies a death but given that it is a new strain that is avoiding our current vaccines it looks like it may take a few weeks to get a full grip on sadly.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Sadly I think my three have it. Big lad is coughing and snotty, the others just the odd cough, but had booked the vet for tomorrow anyway. All of them vaccinated last at the end of October :confused:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Sadly I think my three have it. Big lad is coughing and snotty, the others just the odd cough, but had booked the vet for tomorrow anyway. All of them vaccinated last at the end of October :confused:

Sorry to hear this DD, and hoping I'm not about to regret taking Ludo to his first party in Cheshire on Tuesday. We won't be going anywhere else until this is under control.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sorry to hear this DD, and hoping I'm not about to regret taking Ludo to his first party in Cheshire on Tuesday. We won't be going anywhere else until this is under control.
Thanks ycbm, none of them have left the property other than hacking, but Dabs has a pants immune system so if there's anything floating around you can guarantee he's got it <sigh> Just await him popping out another sarcoid to go with it now I suppose :rolleyes:

catkin

Visit site
Thanks ycbm, none of them have left the property other than hacking, but Dabs has a pants immune system so if there's anything floating around you can guarantee he's got it <sigh> Just await him popping out another sarcoid to go with it now I suppose :rolleyes:

That's just pooh DabDab
Hope all goes well for you and your horses

Michen

Visit site

So sorry to read this DabDab xx

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Well mine all seemed better this evening. Big fella still coughing but considerably less snot ridden than this morning so I'm feeling hopeful.....maybe it's just a rather snotty passing seasonal thing (do they exist?), or their jabs are giving some defence?? Fingers crossed the vet tells me that I'm being ridiculous and all is fine.

ester

Visit site
yes they do exist

which brand jabs did they have? I also can't remember where you are.

Vet might want to test anyway just from a disease control POV rather than an actually concerned for horses POV.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Proteq (not sure of spelling, the vet's handwriting is twirly).

I'm worcestershire, so nothing else confirmed in the vicinity.....

catkin

Visit site

Proteq is one of the jabs listed above as having the extra strain.

(I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that as my pony had that one too, but I'm still going to be very very careful as little one has Cushings so is compromised)
fingers crossed everything's OK for you tomorrow

ester

Visit site

correct spelling and as said above that is one of the two that include it (albeit obviously there are some unknown issues) don't worry too much then, best scenario you can be in and therefore seems mostly likely to be not.

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I can't help but be a little overwhelmed by the mass hysteria on Facebook and am trying to avoid it. My mare is due for jabs anyway and is being done tomorrow, gelding due April so may as well get him done while shes there as he has a crappy immune system. BUT...I do wonder how much equine flu actually is around all the time and either goes undiagnosed or swept under the carpet. I saw on a page this morning that the first case over here was on the 2nd of Jan, so why was no-one shouting about it then? Obviously because racing is such huge business and was cancelled (quite rightly) yesterday, we know all about it and now everyone is in full panic mode. How many posts do you see on facebook along the lines off 'my horse has had a snotty nose/cough/lethargic for days, what should I do'.....cue facebook vets recommending turmeric/sudocream/witch doctor.... How many of these horses have flu and just go un-diagnosed?

Anyway. I'm just ranting now!

ester

Visit site
It wasn’t shouted out about then because they were unvaccinated horses.
We now have a potential failure of the vaccine (as of results weds pm), from two manufacturers in several horses which could (worst case) mean the entire UK herd is not protected.
That’s why people are concerned as that could be a pretty big issue to deal with.