Equine ghosts?

littleshetland

Visit site
My beautiful beautiful boy was pts. My daughter took me out for the day while my husband and vet did the deed which was scheduled for around 10 - 11 am. At 10. 25 whilst standing in a shop, not really thinking about anything (feeling numb at that point), I had a feeling that told me he'd gone, at that precise moment. When I rang OH he confirmed it was exactly at that time. 48 hrs later, I stepped out into the yard to do the morning feeds and heard him call to me (they all have distinctive whinnys don't they..) clear as anything.
Gosh, I miss him.

_GG_

Visit site
This thread is hard to read so soon after losing Fly. I've had some nice dreams but nothing more than that. Can't believe how easily I can get upset about her though. I am not like this when people die.

I keep coming back to read the new stories though. OP...hope you're ok xx

Supertrooper

Visit site
Yes I had a very vivid dream after Amy was PTS and I'm sure it was her saying goodbye to me and letting me know she was well again.

I also felt my dog get onto the bed with me after she'd been PTS xx

flurryjuno

Visit site
Not horsey but my fam is renowned for ghostly experiences. My great granny was known as 'the witch' in her town because she always knew when someone had died before anyone else and broke then news. Once my dad was working abroad (2 hours ahead) and starting having heart attack symptoms, was rushed into hospital and had all the tests etc only to find out he was fine. He called home to tell his mum only to be told at 2:15 his dad had had a heart attack and died, dad was in hospital at 4:20. Most recently was I had a dream about my aunt lying in her bed sleeping, and my family all standing around the bed watching. I remember it in detail, walking up the stairs etc. That morning I told dad, had the 'oh thats a bit weird' as I'd met her twice, he was already taking the day off work because he was having chest pains during the night and 10 mins later had a call to say my aunt had died in her sleep.

When my parents first dog died, I would always see him around the gardens. He used to always sleep on my bed and about a week after he passed I woke up with a nightmare, felt him lying at the end of my bed and went back to sleep. I only remembered when I woke up in the morning.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
my old horse broke her leg and had to be pts in the field, a few weeks/month later i was in the field doing something by the spot where she died(can't remember what ) and felt warm breath on my neck.
i used to clean for a lovely little lady who had lung disease, she ended up in a hospice and i visited her when i could until she died, carried on cleaning for his son at her old house until he moved. one day there on my own and as i was cleaning in the bathroom a bottle of shampoo fell off the shelf into the bath,I just smiled and told her to stop throwing things at me!

Nessa4

Visit site
The OH of one of the liveries at our yard was peering into the other stables and asked why there were two in one of the big looseboxes when we asked him what he meant he pointed to the box, occupied by a coloured cob and described exactly the previous occupant - who had been pts several months earlier. (It was his first visit to the yard.)

When I was horse-hunting (looking for an elderly, leg-at-each corner cob) I went to look at one I'd been offered by a friend (coloured cobx yearling) fell in love, but had to go away to think about it. Had a very vivid dream that night involving my previous horse and my husband both of whom I had lost within three months of each other 18months previously. Got the distinct impression that they both approved of the youngster. So I bought him. He's a star (now 3). And developing some of the little quirks of the old boy. (Horse, not husband). Make of it what you will.

Last edited:

skyrock

Visit site
sorry you are feeling bad but eight days will soon pass. Not a horsey ghost story but some years ago my neighbours 18 year old cat moved in to our house when her boyfriend bought home an aggresive Jack Russel. She slept on my bed every night for the next three years until she sadly died on the way to the vet for a follow uo visit as she had been unwell the previous week. For months afterwards I felt her walking on my bed and heard her purrin the middle of the night.

Rudolph's Red Nose

Visit site
I lost my dog to cancer and shortly after moved house and was really upset to leave behind the memories so being the idiot I am I said aloud on moving day that if he was around that he was to come with me !! A couple of weeks later while sitting at my desk with a friend (work from home) I felt something push past my leg and lay under desk - looked around to see if it was my puppy but no he was fast asleep - my strictly no nonsense friend saw me look and said he felt it too and he thought it was my old dog coming back to sort out the puppy lol - I sometimes feel something pushing at back of my legs (dog nose) and always think it's him and then remember he isn't here :( n my present dog is no where near - it is comforting .. Have also heard my first horse softly nickering at me on a foggy winter morning when I was walking to the fields .. No horses were out at the time

_GG_

Visit site
my old horse broke her leg and had to be pts in the field, a few weeks/month later i was in the field doing something by the spot where she died(can't remember what ) and felt warm breath on my neck.
i used to clean for a lovely little lady who had lung disease, she ended up in a hospice and i visited her when i could until she died, carried on cleaning for his son at her old house until he moved. one day there on my own and as i was cleaning in the bathroom a bottle of shampoo fell off the shelf into the bath,I just smiled and told her to stop throwing things at me!

For anyone wondering...that last line is perfect. IB, I can picture it and the way you would have said it with a wry smile on your face :)

spottydottypony

Visit site
My horse was PTS two years ago. I had rescued him as a 9 month old, starved, badly treated colt with joint deformiites. He grew to be a wonderful 18.hh huge bay spotted appy (think he was knabstrupper) with a
huge attitude. Sadly his joints grew too bad after 10 years and i had him PTS. I went home and slept till the following day, couldnt stop crying i missed him so much. When i woke in the morning for about 2 seconds i could smell him on my pillow around me. I swear it was him saying goodbye it has never happened before or since .

Last edited:

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
My horse sees them daily!

Lol, mine too!

Not a ghosty thing, but I had my old horse put to sleep 10 years ago. I couldn't cope with being there, so I went to work and my husband and friend took care of it for me. It was scheduled to be done at 10.30am, but the vet was held up on another call - I didn't know this. At 11.00 I had the most amazing feeling of complete and utter peace - I've never felt anything like it before or since. You guessed it - he was pts at 11.00. Every year since, around the date he died I hear 'our song' on the radio and usually something unexpected but lovely happens. Probably a coincidence, but it makes me happy!

On another note, my son and I were visiting my sister-in-law's grave not long after she had died. My son was just 2 at the time, and as we walked away he said "Aunty K's all right now, we must tell Uncle C". He was most insistent that we had to tell my brother she was ok. That spooked me a bit.

Last edited:

Chris&TheBoys

Visit site
A friend of mine used to work on a yard many years ago, but it had to close, all horses were moved on or pts. Several weeks later she returned to help the YO finish up the last of the packing. She remembers sitting on the mounting block looking down the yard having a drink with the YO reminiscing when they both heard clear as day, the sound of shod hooves trotting down yard towards them.

a non horsey one:
Last year we had our little dog pts at 5 after a herniated disk caused rear end paralysis. We buried him in the back garden, we still hear his little feet on the kitchen floor whilst our other 2 dogs are with us in the living room. And our old girl in the day he died, sat and howled, whined and cried. She had us all sat in tears watching her. To this day, she still goes and sits quietly next to him.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Only thing weird I've experienced was at a yard that was apparently well known for creepy going-ons. A friend kept her horse there and one day I went hacking with her round the fields surrounding the yard. A tractor with one of those hay-turning things on the back of it was sitting in the corner of one field, engine off, farmer nowhere to be seen. As we got closer the hay-turning thing suddenly started up and started spinning. As we rode closer, they got faster and then they stopped dead and that was the end of it. We spoke to the farmer afterwards who thought we were mad as he said the blades could only turn if the engine was on which it wasn't...

Hippona

Visit site
I had a very vivid dream after my horse was PTS ....it's was very sudden an unexpected. The dream was like no other I've ever had....the colours....he was grey, and in my dream I was riding him through rape field and the sun was warm...Icould feel the heat, and I could smell him. It's like he came back for a last ride.

When we were on livery at a working farm, the lane that went past the farm into the woods used to be an old cart track...when my dad was a lad he used to drive the milk cart from his farm to the drop off point. The motorway cuts through the woods now and there's a gate stopping anything other than walkers or riders, certainly
no carts could get in. My daughter and I were having a conversation about driving horses and how not many people drive their horses anymore....and she was a little confused because she apparently used to see lots of horses and carts going up and down the lane into the woods. She described old fashioned hay carts and coach and horses going up and down the lane on a daily basis. Now....I have never seen one, ever....because there is nowhere for them to go..... although I should mention my daughter often saw people that weren't there, including dead family members, when she was very young but she seems to have grown out of that now....

On the same yard I had a block of three stables and a feed room in an old cow
byre....several times I saw all three horses turn their heads simultaneously to watch something pass down the corridor that I couldn't see....

Sukistokes2

Visit site
This has been the best thread Ever!

My DaD has a D I Y shop and is often asked by people to do work for them, he went to price a kitchen, when he got there he was greeted by two little dogs. He made a fuss of them and as he was doing so he looked up to see a little white dog peering through the barristers from upstairs. He called for it to come down but it just peered at him. Dad priced the kitchen and as he left he told the woman that she had three loverly dogs. The next day her son came to the shop, he told my Dad that his Mum was very upset because she only had two dogs, the third had been pts. The son asked my Dad what he thought he was doing upsetting his Mum. Dad told him about the little white dog sat upstairs and the man left in tears because my Dad described the little dog they had lost completely. I think they got someone else to do the kitchen.

Things are always happening like this to my family, well me, my sister and my Dad, a ghost would have to hit my Mum over the head with a barge pole to get her attention!

Urban Horse

Visit site
There was an item in, I think, the Fortean Times magazine many years ago; it was about a young couple driving through the countryside late at night when they unexpectedly found a loose horse standing in the lane in front of their car.... not an uncommon occurance you might think. The thing that made this horse different was it's sheer size... it was so big that it completely blocked the road. Eventually the couple decided that the only way to get past the horse was to drive under its belly, between its hind and forelegs, which they did, with the horse paying them no attention at all. Nice story, but being practical I can only think of the size of its droppings.... To paraphrase that famous line from 'Jaws'... "We're gonna need a bigger barrow."

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So, just musing as stuck in a foreign country for another 8 days and feeling very homesick, has anyone ever seen a ghost horse/had an equine psychic experience?

Or any ghostly experience at all tbh.

I dream about my gals often, shortly after my mare of a lifetime died I had an accident riding which meant liveries do my yard. One day they were in feedroom making up feeds, they her a knock knock on the bars of he stable like she did when wanting food. She had been on box rest, all the other horses were out in the field.

One of my liveries is into Wicca and she senses Dina out the blue sometimes, also when I brought a tree in her memory I was at the garden centre with loads of trees in front of me I had not clue which to buy so I looked up to the heavens and asked Dina which one. Within a minute I had a sence come to me to pick up this certain tree and buy that one. When I got home K told me you know why Dina wants you to have that one? its becasue of her sunset which came through her window. The tree is called Apple Sunset
20140403_090624_zpsa73d2e49.jpg

Dina and her Sunset been posted before on H&H
IMG_3141_zpscd65f3aa.jpg

After all they never leave us they are always in our hearts, as they also leave footprints in our hearts too.:)

I have had strange things going on in my yard like the feedroom door shut when i got inches from it (no wind)

Last edited:

littleshetland

Visit site
Urban Horse -I was a massive fan of Fortean Times aswell. One particular story from there stuck in my mind of a middle aged couple who went to tend the grave every weekend of the womens mother who had fairly recently died. On this particular visit, the woman took a picture of the husband sitting at the wheel of the car, before they left to drive home. When the picture was developed, sitting in the back seat of the car was the deceased mother.

This was all pre digital, and Fortean Times printed that picture - it certainly looked real (but unreal) if you see what I mean.....

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Urban Horse -I was a massive fan of Fortean Times aswell. One particular story from there stuck in my mind of a middle aged couple who went to tend the grave every weekend of the womens mother who had fairly recently died. On this particular visit, the woman took a picture of the husband sitting at the wheel of the car, before they left to drive home. When the picture was developed, sitting in the back seat of the car was the deceased mother.

This was all pre digital, and Fortean Times printed that picture - it certainly looked real (but unreal) if you see what I mean.....
ohhhhhhh creepy.

miss_c

Visit site
Nothing like some of these, but my friend and I had a spooky experience one night at the old yard. We both work long days and on this occasion it was about 9.30pm when we got our three in. Walked across the field and saw them, and headed to them to find that there were no horses there at all. Our three were the other end of the field tucked under some trees. The horses we had walked towards initially just vanished into thin air as we got closer so it wasn't our lot! Spooked us a bit and as the yard was on an old Roman road it does make you wonder...

Noodles_3

Visit site
When I was younger my local riding stables held a pony club camp for a week which I attended. We all stayed in the barn above the stables and I remember one night we had the most horrendous thunderstorm! The horses in the stables down below were going bonkers. We were all scared because we were in a rickety old wooden barn (all young girls). Anyway it was really late at night and a few people had drifted off to sleep but I remember hearing a shod horse trotting down the concrete track and a few of the others heard it too. We looked out the window into the darkness but no horse to be seen. They were all tucked up in their stables anyway! The next morning we mentioned it to the YO's son and he said oh it will be Rusty, Mojo's mother. She was Pts on the yard and we do normally hear her on a night time trotting along. That creeped me out a little!

Urban Horse

Visit site

I know exactly the picture you've mentioned... something of a legend among those trying to prove the authenticity of ghosts and the afterlife....

It's reproduced here in this link (second pic down)...

http://psychics.co.uk/blog/top-ten-famous-ghost-pictures/

The Fortean Times also ran an article on 'Snippy', a mare that met an unfortunate and gruesome fate in 1960s America... That's quite a disterssing story for horse owners, so if anyone wants to know more, they can Google it for themselves :-(((

littleshetland

Visit site
Oh Gawd! There it is again! (shudder) Thanks for posting that up UH. Think I'll go outside on this bright sunny day and ride my very much alive and kicking horse......!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I had my gelding pts because of severe OCD in both hocks. Him in the pic down there.

I got a mare and couldn't bond with her because I fretted so much for him. He was my horse of a lifetime.

One day I was hacking my mare when I had this weird feeling he was walking alongside us and I said to Teg, my mare, Stan's here! Then I felt him kind of go through me.

Gradually from then my bond with my mare got better and better.

I'm not prone to things like this, I'm a scientist and 58 years old for goodness sake but I truly felt that experience. It helped me come to terms with losing him, that and a couple of dreams where I was with him in an idyllic place and he was all mended :)

foraday

Visit site
Yes ghosties are everywhere!! Our yard is next to a church and of course a graveyard!!! But the ghosties don't stay in the graveyard!!

The horses spook like mad in the school unless you say good morning first in the corner!!! Then they are happy!!!

Also 3am is their time to be active!!

I was on colic watch one night and in my nice warm snuggly lorry the dogs went nuts! So we went outside to see what was going on, dogs couldn't find what they were woofing at but spoke to the yard owner the next day and she said that's the time they get active!!!

all the ghosties have been spoken to by a ghost person and they are all happy and like the yard being used!!

There is also a yellow labrador that frequents the yard too although I have not seen him/her he is the spitting image of next doors lab who does actually physically visit the yard!! Yard owners husband went up to said lab ghost as thought it was next doors dog and was going to say hi and give a pat! As soon as he tried to pat said ghost he disappeared!!!!

So weird!!!

STRIKER

Visit site
This is a story not about ghosts but about a form of witchcraft, when i was a young girl in Zambia living on a farm, we had a lot of horses, one of them was a grey gone white pony who could gallop, my mom couldnt understand why he was sweated up in his box in the morning and he had gone lame for no reason for a pony who was always sound, we employed local folk as grooms, as did everyone, and they had their superstitions as i am sure some of you have heard about.

Suddenly we started getting visitors calling to the farm about a ghost horse and rider galloping across the back field and we should wear dried pumpkin seeds on a piece ofr cotton around our throats to ward off evil, well we all did this, lived with our dried out pumpkin seeds around our throats. Anyway this ghost horse and rider continued but no one knew who it was.

Then my dad decided to stay up one night and wait to see what was going on, well low and behold it was one of our local folk grooms riding this pony flat our through the field and village in the dark of night to scare the other villagers, he was fired, poor pony and poor villagers.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I still believe that my first NF pony that I had on loan came to say goodbye to me the night after he was PTS. I woke to find my arms wide open as if I was cuddling him. Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it (it was in 1992!). He came twice that night and I'll never forget it nor him.

Emby

Visit site
Not equine I'm afraid but in December we lost our cat. He just went out and never came back. We've never found a body or had any clue to what happened to him, but about 4 or 5 days after he disappeared I had the most vivid dream about him that he had come home and was very aware whilst sleeping and dreaming of feeling amazingly happy. I woke up and thought for a few seconds that he was back and that was why I felt so overjoyed - then realised I had dreamed it. I firmly believe it was him telling me that he had passed on and was now in a good place. I've dreamed about him a few times since but they were just dreams - and not the same at all.

Brummyrat

Visit site
I wish my horse of a lifetime would come back and visit me, I miss him so much :-( I have a cat story though, a couple of years ago I was catsitting for a friend while she was away for a couple of nights. She always had about six cats, mainly strays she'd taken in, they all sleep with her but as I was in the spare single bed I kept "their" room open at bedtime and barracked myself into the spare room as I didn't want six cats on my bed! I was just getting comfortable when a cat jumped onto the bed and did that turn in a circle and plop down thing they do, right in the crook behind my knees. I thought they'd broken in and another five would be following so got up, threw back the covers to find...nothing. The door was still firmly shut with the bedroom stool in front of it. It did freak me out slightly, I told my friend when she returned the next day and she told me she often glimpsed cats out of the corner of her eye that weren't there. I find it comforting that our pets still want to be with us.