Equine Herpes (Neurological)

tessatingle

New User
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of the neurological version of EHV1? My pony was diagnosed with this just over a month ago. Her main symptoms are a ataxia in her hind legs and dragging of her toe to one leg in particular. It seems that this is a particularly rare case and I dont know of anyone else that has experiened the neurological version. Would be interested if anyone has any experience of this illness and can advise with regards to recuperation process.
confused.gif

fatpiggy

Visit site
It is indeed rare. I would suggest googling Horsemans Advisor, a US website run by a vet. It is a mine of information and you can read the forum questions. You need to join to get maximum benefit, but it is very cheap and well worth it.

bailey14

Visit site
Okay first of all I would like to say that my horse was wrongly diagnosed with EHV in 2004. It turned out that he had Wobblers Syndrome which also causes ataxia which is one of the main symptoms of EHV1. He was tested for EHV by a blood sample being taken which was then cultured in a lab. 33% of the horse population carry the virus but only when a horse gets stressed will it release the virus in droplets which then passes from horse to horse. He proved positive (along with the other 33% of horses, and two other horses on our yard were proved positive for carrying it also). He did not go onto develop it and due to misdiagnosis went on to have three seperate ataxia attacks which were to do with his compression of the neck bones onto the nerves from the spinal cord. He was later referred to Liverpool and put down within two hours of arriving due to late onset wobblers for which there was no cure.

Usually with EHV the horse had a temperature of 103-106F, watery nasal discharge, sometimes discharge from eyes, mild coughing, loss of appetite, paralysis, ataxia and recumbency. It can cause neurological disease, respiratory disease, abortion and death of foals. It has also been found to be the cause of a recently identified syndrome, peracute vascultisit which is fatal to adult horses. Now before you panic are you certain that your horse has more than just the ataxia symptoms? Could your horse have hind limb weakness/ataxia due to a neurological condition, ie. wobblers, or some other problem in her veterbrae or spinal column? I would suggest you look at the following link and maybe see if your horse bears any relation to it. Maybe do the neurological tests, but be very careful if she is still ataxic as she could fall on you if she is particularly bad. Please, if you are in any doubt as to whether she does have this ask your vet for a second opinion. I would have thought she would have had more symptoms than just the ataxia if she had EHV.

http://meadowherbs.com/Lame_neuro.doc

tessatingle

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your response. She was admitted to Leahurst following referral from my vet. Quarantined, treated with steroids and was diagnosed with the virus following serological tests just over a month ago, so Im pretty sure that it is the correct diagnosis... Apparently these cases are something like 1 in 1000!!! Probably why Im having trouble finding someone else who has experienced this particular strain of the virus! She has actually improved in herself over the last few days and is now out grazing in a small paddock for a few hours a day... Still a bit wobbly tho!!! Fingers crossed.
smile.gif

tessatingle

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your link to the meadow herb doc by the way...interesting! They did all these tests at Leahurst on the day she was admitted. All makes perfect sense now...

snaffles1969

New User
Visit site
Hi - How is your horse now?

I have just had the heartbreak of losing one - confirmed EHV - 1 posthumously. He was ataxic & recumbent & we are pretty sure blind.
Were there any other reported outbreaks in your area? We are in the midlands & don't know of any other yards but gather it can pass via vets, blacksmiths (Clothing) or at shows & what advice were you given about your other horses. I know this is a major killer in the US, but don't know what to do about my other horses apart from keep them on the yard.? Any body know & also if they do get it will they only get the paralytic strain?
What is the incubation period & how will I know when I'm in the clear?
Thanks Izzy