Equine Massage....do you use practitioners?

pocket

Visit site
I'm considering a career change, having worked in the NHS for too many years I need to change and do a job that can incorporate my hobby.

How many people use massage as a form of therapy for your horse?? If so, do you see a benefit in your horses well-being/performance after the massage? Is it something that you have let lapse since the onset of the recession or do you feel it is important to continue with the sessions?

I would be grateful for your input.

siennamum

Visit site
I would use a physio or chiropractor to remedy a problem, wouldn't ever use a manipulator or therapist who wasn't one or the other. Don't think they are properly qualified.

MCTM

Visit site
I use a massage therapist for my current mare in between physio visits. My aim is to have 6 monthly check-ups from the physio and then massages every 6-8 weeks in between. I certainly have noticed the difference when my massage lady has been on maternity leave and I've needed the physio out twice to sort out some sore spots (I have an ex racehorse with a few issues). For my previous horse I didn't have massage but actually now I wish I had! It's an expense certainly but one which I personally think is worth it. Just means I don't have any treatment myself until I'm actually falling completely apart (like now).

ISHmad

Visit site
We use a physio who is also a massage therapist. The difference in two of our horses in particular has been astounding and as a result we have them treated every two months. Money well spent for the benefits it brings.

Marydoll

Visit site
I use an equine body worker who uses massage and myofacial release.
My horse is always much looser after her treatment. She also picks up on minor issues and treats them before they become problematic
I had a remedial Sports massage and deep tissue massage on both shoulders which were pretty knackered, id been to 2 physios with minimal results, 2 sessions woth the masseuse and i was like a new woman

TequilaMist

Visit site
I use someone who isn't qualified physio but is qualified to do equine massage etc.
My friend used a qualified physio and tbh they were practically identical in their treatments/suggestions/exercises