equine metabolic syndrome

sallyballybee

Visit site
Can someone tell me a bit about this syndrome? The symptoms etc?
A girl i know who ran a weight bridge nutrition thingy at my yard last year has recommended i get poppy tested for it after the problems I've had with her this year.
Does anyone have a pony with it?

STAR35

New User
Visit site
Hi,

yes i have a pony with mild EMS. Her blood test result was low enough that i will continue to manage it through diet & life style for time being - its a balancing act between quality of life for her & restricting her calorie / sugar intake.

if your google equine "metabolic syndrome" lots of useful information comes up,

its similar (but not the same) as forms of diabetes in humans.

EMS is basically insulin resistance - i.e. suffers are sensitive to sugar levels as their insulin / bodies cannot handle it so it stays in their blood & causes issues - such as laminitis

Frosty grass is an absolute no no for my girl as the fructans (sugars) are at the highest in frosty grass,

This is a really good article:

http://www.equine-vets.com/fact-sheets/hormonal-problems/equine-metabolic-syndrome

hope this helps a little

Oberon

Visit site
Fat patches over the loins, whither area, eye pads, swollen sheath area. Cresty fat deposits over the neck.

Poor quality hooves and predisposition to lami and footiness. Flat soles.

Poor immunity.

The body becomes less sensitive to insulin, so the body has to throw more insulin out to try and meet the need.

bugsysmum

Visit site
Hi Sallyballybee
I lost my horse of a lifetime to this in March, aged 9. He had been out of work due to a suspensory ligament injury for 18 months but I was hoping to start working him again in the spring when the days got lighter. He was a 17hh warmblood, and had gained and subsequently lost weight during and after the 5 months box rest he had to have. He came in very lame one day after being turned out on frosty grass, and after being diagnosed by my vet with EMS and laminitis, we gave him a month of box rest, copious amounts of drugs and drastic farriery, we could not control the pain for him, so had to make the hardest decision. To be honest I'm still in shock about it and can't believe how quickly it hit.
I wish you all the very best with your pony, and can only suggest keeping a REALLY close eye on her weight.
I hope this hasn't scared you too much and know that this can be carefully managed with success. I also know there is nothing different I could have done for my boy - even though he put on weight, we had to keep him from becoming dangerous and insane while he was on box rest (which he would have if we'd starved him at the same time), and he was never hugely obese. Good luck!

sallyballybee

Visit site
Yeah I'm manic about her weight since got her 9 years ago, but the past 2 years have been crap, this year especially. Just can't seem to shift the weight! I mean she's not a gutter on her bum or anything and her back is nice rounded not like a table, but her creast will not budge. She won't keep her muzzle on, won't stay in a paddock, she's not on hard feed, ridden as often as i can and if i can't ride she's brought in off the grass for the day. Her feet aren't bad and I've kept lami at bay this year, but into find her to be tired sluggish and generally not herself if she's had too much grass......