Equine Narcolepsy??

peanutpussycat

Visit site
Anyone ever heard of narcolepsy in horses? One been diagnosed in our yard. Bit suspicious about diagnosis. Didn't even take blood test for other options. strange!!! Your thoughts please

TGM

Visit site
Yep! I have personally know of several horses diagnosed with narcolepsy. However, some horses can have narcolepsy-type symptoms without suffering true narcolepsy.

My old mare has refused to lie down to sleep ever since her foal was born - over 7 years ago! Not that she is not physically capable of doing so as she can get done to roll OK. However, the fact that she does not lie down to sleep deprives her of deep sleep - although horses can sleep standing up they need to lie down to get the really deep sleep they need.

Because of this my mare will knuckle over and start to fall when sleeping standing up - according to the vet (who has seen her doing this) it is not true narcolepsy - just her body trying to make up for the lack of deep sleep.

True narcolepsy can be very dangerous - they can fall asleep at any point, even when being ridden.

What are the symptoms of the horse you know?

peanutpussycat

Visit site
Looked like laminitis when I first saw it. Pointing n warm feet. Watched her for a while and she was very wobbly when walking also she was buckling and looking like she was going down. She didn't n just wandered on. This happened 3 or 4 times in bout half hour. She is old. I wondered if it could be Metabolic syndrome. Anyone know about that?

Nailed

Visit site
one at college has it and we thought that my old mare had it as she would fall asleep regularly when on the yard and fall. We had to stop riding her in the end.
lou x

Zebedee

Visit site
Yes, I knew of a very sucessful show horse who had it. He had to be in slings when he travelled in case he went down.

lillie07

Visit site
There is a little mare at Warwickshire college with narcolepsy. She randomly falls asleep and even falls over. She is fine when ridden though
smirk.gif

tormor

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is a little mare at Warwickshire college with narcolepsy. She randomly falls asleep and even falls over. She is fine when ridden though
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ] she fell asleep in a teaching lecture the other day cause we were standing round too much