Equine Physio minefield

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I regularly use an equine physio for my horses however, I am looking for a new one as not convinced mine is as good as I'd like. What is the 'gold standard' for physio qualifications? There are so many equine physios out there with so- called healing hands but what are the best formal qualifications to look for in a practitioner. I know 'word of mouth' is a good recommendation but I wanted to look at it a bit more in depth.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The gold standard for equine physios is generally agreed to be the ACPAT qualification.

These have trained initially as human physios and then additionally trained to treat animals.

There are a lot of 'back' people out there. Unfortunately anyone can set up as an equine physio with little or no training, it is not a protected title, but the ACPAT qualification is.

Does your current physio claim to have any qualifications?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm happy with my physio is who is a Veterinary Physiotherapist. So not a human physio first but has passed a rigorous and accredited course. eg

And yes, working with vets is a must.

TPO

Visit site
I'm happy with my physio is who is a Veterinary Physiotherapist. So not a human physio first but has passed a rigorous and accredited course. eg

And yes, working with vets is a must.

I've used a fair few ACAPT and haven't had good experiences. The best physios that I've used, and currently use, have all been veterinary physios.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is a veterinary physio. She has loads of experience in many equine disciplines, so can see training issues as a whole, not just the horse in isolation. She also does my dogs.

I have used unqualified people in the past, on recommendation. Some are transformational. Some I didn't use again! Some I used on myself and know how effective they are. One could do it by distance, he was the most skilled of all, it really did work and not just in my mind. It was for a whiplash injury that was so bad I could barely swallow. It was sooo painful. Within about half an hour, I was 90% better. Magical!!!

As with farriers, trimmers, dentists and saddle fitters, the best one to get is a good one, regardless of qualification.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I also prefer Vet Physios. Not people who have done most of their learning and experience with people. And best of all are the experienced horse-folk who own/ride/compete. And who chose this field for their love of horses and commitment to their health and comfort. They just have a layer of knowlege missing in many others.

I

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The benefit of learning on people first is that humans will give you vocalised feedback :).

As ever, there are good and bad in all professions, but fully agree that whoever you use must work with your vets.

A physio should never diagnose a lameness, they should refer a lame horse on to a vet for that, and then treat horse with vet sanction.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
The gold standard for equine physios is generally agreed to be the ACPAT qualification.

These have trained initially as human physios and then additionally trained to treat animals.

There are a lot of 'back' people out there. Unfortunately anyone can set up as an equine physio with little or no training, it is not a protected title, but the ACPAT qualification is.

Does your current physio claim to have any qualifications?
Yes , she has some on her website but not ACPAT.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
My friend is a Vet Physio - and got her PGDip last year. She worked as an ESMT before that. I had a bit of an insight into the training and learning and it’s pretty darn rigorous!
Personally I wouldn’t use anyone who didn’t have the VP qualification - and even then I have found that not all are as thorough as I have become accustomed to!
Anything else “ back” related is waste imho - nothing they can do that the VP can’t do and some of it is downright dangerous/harmful!

Goldenstar

Visit site
ACPAT physios have one other great advantage over all the others they are qualified to look at the rider and that’s so important in all this .
That and the fact that liaising with others is second nature to them put them far ahead of any others .
They also in ime are far less likely to say there’s a quick fix to be had .

smolmaus

Visit site
I used an ACPAT qualified, human and equine physio and although she has all the qualifications and expertise in the world we just didn't get a lot out of it. It was a few "treatments" and done in 30 mins. New one is IRVAP/ Advanced cert vet physio and on paper less qualified but she was incredibly thorough, spent 2 hours with us, gave me a whole raft of homework exercises, explained what they were all doing, made sure I was confident with the work etc, shes fantastic and pony is feeling amazing. Our vet has started recommending her now too.

That said, the most passionate, thorough and hard working person in the world isn't coming near the pony without some sort of proper qualifications!

Auslander

Visit site
Just be very careful, and check credentials. Veterinary physiotherapist is not a protected title, so anyone can call themselves a "veterinary physiotherapist" regardless of what training they have done.
I take peer recommendations with a pinch of salt, as everyone thinks their bodyworker is amazing, and there are some shockers out there with glowing references from their clients, who, through no fault of their own, know no better. If I needed a new bodyworker, my first port of call for a recommendation would be my vet.

SEL

Visit site
There is a lady near me who has done a similar diploma to me in equine massage who refers to herself as a physiotherapist - it isn't a protected title.

I've worked my way through the gauntlet of professionals with my PSSM mare (hence the reason I trained - at least now I can work on her myself) and qualification doesn't always equal good work annoyingly.
- massage therapists and general bodyworkers (masterson etc) should be doing the soft tissue stuff. Think more of your nice massage with oils that you'd get as a birthday present. I will do stretches etc as well and we're taught to watch a horse walk and trot up looking for areas of tightness but its a 1.5 year diploma so definitely not at the level of a physio. I'd avoid anyone who has done any less than a diploma too because there are some very poor quality courses out there
- physios are either ACPAT (humans then a post grad in animals) or Vet Physios (degree course in animals). I've had good experiences with both but I've actually found the vet physio I use did a better session. They often get a lot of education on various pieces of kit as well which can be really useful.
- Osteos / chiros. I describe these as more the yank and crank type practitioners which sounds a bit harsh. But they are the ones where I would want to make sure they have robust qualifications because those manipulations can cause harm to a much greater extent than any soft tissue work can. McTimoney is the association of Chiropractors and they are focused on the spine being in alignment which is why I'd want to make sure they were properly qualified. The last thing you want is someone hoiking a hind leg into the air because the horse is wonky if there is an underlying skeletal issue.

Vets tend to have people they work with regularly and will advise. ALL practitioners should ensure your horse doesn't have any underlying conditions before they start and if there is anything they need to discuss with the vet.

Plus whoever you use should be insured.

bouncing_ball

Visit site

ACPAT used to be the gold standard. But now you can qualify as a vet physio which is an equally respected and vigorous course.

There are good, great and mediocre ACPAT and Vet Physios.

And lots of other bodywork qualifications too.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
ACPAT physios have one other great advantage over all the others they are qualified to look at the rider and that’s so important in all this .
That and the fact that liaising with others is second nature to them put them far ahead of any others .
They also in ime are far less likely to say there’s a quick fix to be had .

I’ve used a number of ACPAT Physios over the decades (they used to be the only equine physios). None have had interest or insurance for treating people or riders sadly so not seen any advantage there. Most said been decades since treated people.

Vet Physios are also trained and set up to liaise with vets and other professionals.

HelenBack

Visit site
I’ve used a number of ACPAT Physios over the decades (they used to be the only equine physios). None have had interest or insurance for treating people or riders sadly so not seen any advantage there. Most said been decades since treated people.

Vet Physios are also trained and set up to liaise with vets and other professionals.
My ACPAT physio has treated me and a few other friends but she mainly treats horses and will really only treat people who are the owners of the horses she sees.

She sometimes gives me a bit of ad-hoc advice while she's treating my horse too, usually along the lines of my posture is crap and I should go and do some pilates.

She's the only one I know who will treat people though so maybe it's not that common.

Pippity

Visit site
- Osteos / chiros. I describe these as more the yank and crank type practitioners which sounds a bit harsh. But they are the ones where I would want to make sure they have robust qualifications because those manipulations can cause harm to a much greater extent than any soft tissue work can. McTimoney is the association of Chiropractors and they are focused on the spine being in alignment which is why I'd want to make sure they were properly qualified. The last thing you want is someone hoiking a hind leg into the air because the horse is wonky if there is an underlying skeletal issue.
I'm extremely wary of any form of chiropractic, considering it all came out of a seance! The American Medical Association described it as an "unscientific cult" in the 1960s, and it's still considered pseudomedicine with very little, if any, scientific research behind it.

If ACPAT is important to you, check whether anybody you use is listed as a "Physio Member", rather than a "Professional Member". There are zero qualifications required to become a Professional Member. I could become a Professional Member this evening, if I wanted to.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would only ever recommend someone who considered posture and movement to be just as important, or more so, than fixing the sore bits. Vet physics do seem to be more likely to follow this route but I recommend bodyworkers with all sort of backgrounds and qualifications. If you have a good one it matters not, though of course insurance and how they work with the vet etc (teamwork in ALL things) is super important.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've only ever used ACPAT physios, current one is also treating me instead of using an NHS physio.
She charges the same as an unqualified back person but the depth of her knowledge is impressive.