Equine questionnaire for higher ed. student project

Dalla

Visit site
Hello, :smile3:

I am a Year 1 Animal Management Degree student and I am looking for some help with my research project.

I would be hugely grateful if anyone with 5 mins max. to spare could fill in my questionnaire on Equine winter husbandry.

https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/IYlvfuNU

It is completly anonymous and confidential but it would be great to have a wide sample of recipients.

thank you in advance to anyone who can help,

kind regards

Julie

Dalla

Visit site
thank you very much! have 18 responses so far from sharing around with friends and local horsey people and its really interesting.. can't wait for more :)

Dalla

Visit site
My horse is a Thoroughbred Clydesdale cross, which makes your breed selection a bit difficult.

Oh heck, yes I see your problem, sorry it was hard to try and choose suitable ‘groups’.
If you are still willing to have a go perhaps go for the option which fits ‘best’ the breed that he/she shares most traits of.

Thank you

Leo Walker

Visit site
Done. mines a cob so not really a big shire etc, but that was the closest. Hes used for driving and is preparing for a season of competitive driving, none of which was an option.

Batgirl

Visit site
Completed to the best of my ability
I struggled a bit with what you will find out as there will be minimal correlation between the reasons for rugging -
i.e. mine is clipped all year round and doesn't wear a rug in the summer so needing rugging when clipped is not universal
i.e. wind and rain rugging would only be if the temperature were low not on it's own

I think rugging is individual horse dependent - I get criticised for under rugging as people are unaware of how hot mine gets but I wouldn't cirticise people for having a heavier rug as their horse may be a colder type (just like people : ))

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Done but Q&A doesn't seem to take into account clipped out horses in regular competition. The needs of a hairy native are different than a clipped out warmblood competition horse.

Batgirl

Visit site
Done but Q&A doesn't seem to take into account clipped out horses in regular competition. The needs of a hairy native are different than a clipped out warmblood competition horse.

Agree, I was trying to explain that above too, there is no correlation between what the horse is used for - I wouldn't clip my horse if he wasn't in work

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I faced the same issue, but in the main thought it was a pretty well put together survey.

oldie48

Visit site
I used my clipped near TB horse who works quite hard and for whom I have lots of rugs. He's kept at home and I sometimes change his rug or take it off completely depending on the weather. My other is a hairy sect A pony, he is never rugged!

LeneHorse

Visit site
done. I wasn't sure what group stabling meant - I assumed American barn style stabling with individual boxes under cover.
Otherwise it was straightforward and well designed.
I do get some odd looks when I turn mine out naked on snowy days - she loves a good roll in the white stuff!

Dalla

Visit site
Completed to the best of my ability
I struggled a bit with what you will find out as there will be minimal correlation between the reasons for rugging -
i.e. mine is clipped all year round and doesn't wear a rug in the summer so needing rugging when clipped is not universal
i.e. wind and rain rugging would only be if the temperature were low not on it's own

I think rugging is individual horse dependent - I get criticised for under rugging as people are unaware of how hot mine gets but I wouldn't cirticise people for having a heavier rug as their horse may be a colder type (just like people : ))

Thanks for your feedback, with it being for a first year project it is still a big learning curve but seem to be getting some great discussion points and comparable data so far. Taking all the points raised on board as hoping to develop this research further for my third year dissertation :)

Dalla

Visit site

Thanks for the feedback, taking it all on board for future research and it will be used as part of my evaluation too.. it is hard to try and group horses / use into categories there are so many variables but you actually back up one of my theories that I was hoping to discuss about correlation between clipping and rugging that I hope to move forward with for my third year dissertation so actually very helpful! Thanks again

Dalla

Visit site
I used my clipped near TB horse who works quite hard and for whom I have lots of rugs. He's kept at home and I sometimes change his rug or take it off completely depending on the weather. My other is a hairy sect A pony, he is never rugged!

ooh that's interesting thanks for the extra information :)