Equine services in Lincolnshire

Gottaloveaginger

Visit site
I am looking for recommendations for all equine services based in between Boston and Lincoln, around the Tattershall Bridge/Coningsby/Billinghay areas please. I am moving my horses that way soon (onto our own land) hence why I wont be able to ask for recommendations from anyone at the yard!
I will need vet, (preferably ones that do free zone visit days) farrier, feed and shaving supplier, rug wash, tack shop and anything else you might think will be helpful!
Thank you!

chillipup

Visit site
Hi GTLAG, I used to use Rase Vets when I lived near Tattershall. They do zone visits. I found them to be very good. They have equine facilities too and equine dentists www.raseveterinarycentre.co.uk.

For feed/shavings all things equestrian I used Chandlers in Horncastle, www.chandlers.fe.co.uk and Phillips farm supplies, just up from Chandlers on the same small industrial estate www.phillips-animal-health-ltd.co.uk Phillips are considerably cheaper than Chandlers.

Try Robinsons in Billinghay for tack, saddle fitters etc, not used them myself but I think they have a good reputation. www.tandcrobinson.co.uk

I've seen there is a livery yard situated on the right hand side of the main road in the village of Haltham, travelling on the A153 from Coningsby to Horncastle, (passed what appears to be a fuel garage on left but is in fact a feed store and car sales) It advertises rug washing/repairs outside on an A board. It is on the right, immediately before the left turning into Haltham village propper. Never had to use them myself so unable to recommend.

My farrier was Simon Middlebrook DipWCF but this was for my donkeys, I found he was very good although I think he does far more horses than donkeys.

There is a large equestrian centre not far out of Boston called Sheepgate Equestrian they hold lots of competitions and training sessions. www.sheepgate.co.uk they also have a tack and togs shop.

As the donkeys were fed on barley straw, I can't recommend a hay or hayledge suppler but there should be lots about. They'll be able to help you in Chandlers or Phillips in Horncastle, or Robinsons.

Hope all the above helps you and that your move goes well. PM me if you need to know anything else, I'll be pleased to help if I'm able.

Last edited:

Bunnymare

Visit site
T C Robinsons no longer have a shop at Billinghay although I still think they do saddle fitting.

As chillipup said Chandlers are good for supplies there is also Eclipse Animal feeds at Martin Moor, they'll always try to get things in if they've not got it and they're good on price and then there's Buckets at Louth but that's quite a distance.

Not sure about farriers, vets , etc as I'm in South Lincs near Spalding.

Sheepgate is fab and holds various affliated an unaffiliated competitions throughout the year, there's also Castledyke Equestrian near Gypsy Bridge. If you're into jumping and eventing Tanya Bridgeman near Lincoln is lovely and holds clinics. If you like dressage I'm organizing a charity dressage competition in aid of Age UK on the 24th July near Spalding, pm if you'd like more information 😃

If you're on Facebook have a look at Horsey Stuff in South Lincs

Hope this helps

chillipup

Visit site
T C Robinsons no longer have a shop at Billinghay although I still think they do saddle fitting.

As chillipup said Chandlers are good for supplies there is also Eclipse Animal feeds at Martin Moor, they'll always try to get things in if they've not got it and they're good on price and then there's Buckets at Louth but that's quite a distance.

Not sure about farriers, vets , etc as I'm in South Lincs near Spalding.

Sheepgate is fab and holds various affliated an unaffiliated competitions throughout the year, there's also Castledyke Equestrian near Gypsy Bridge. If you're into jumping and eventing Tanya Bridgeman near Lincoln is lovely and holds clinics. If you like dressage I'm organizing a charity dressage competition in aid of Age UK on the 24th July near Spalding, pm if you'd like more information ��

If you're on Facebook have a look at Horsey Stuff in South Lincs

Hope this helps

Ah yes B, I forgot about Eclipse, they're pretty good for dog food too. Robinsons in Billinghay have closed their shop but still have their leather workshop (next door) that do repairs and bespoke work. You need to ring for an appointment and of course still do saddle fitting.

chillipup

Visit site
Sorry Wench but can't agree. They all tend to offer zone visits but Rase Vets is far closer to OP should he/she wish to travel to their equine surgery unit. Fenwold don't have their own equine surgery unit and Tower vets is based in Somerby which is in Leicestershire, below Melton Mowbray, much further for OP.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Another user of Rase here, excellent service. If you're at the surgery at Market Rasen, go to Mole Valley Farmers across the road, become a member and get good discounts off their own brand feeds. :)

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Farrier Garath Schofield is brilliant and very patient wouldn't use anyone else replys to messages quickly and always turns up when he says he will 07803006010. Simon does a good job but my experience is you have to set aside a day and wait for him to turn up. Vet I use Fenwold who are fine but not perfect and will refer to Oakham for anything they can't deal with. Do your research with Rase for everyone that thinks they are great there are a lot of unhappy people too. Last year they were demanding payment up front before they would come out to the extent of taking card details before coming to emergency colics even for long standing clients also find them very expensive. This was last year and they are now under new management but worth asking the question before you get a shock in an emergency. Heckington supplies is good for feed and supplements. Robinson's tack shop at Billinghay has recently closed, Sheepgate has a big shop but is expensive and dressage focused Chandlers at Belton has a good shop Horncastle and Spilsby Chandlers also have shops but smaller. There is a livery yard at Billinghay with a school don't know if they hire it but would be worth asking. Competing wise elms farm at Caythorpe have a lot of SJ and dressage and run nice shows, North Lincs Riding Club and Kenwick dressage run shows at LRAC at Louth. Hill house at Market Rasen have a lot on and Laughton Manor between Sleaford and Bourne has just reopened and is a nice facility. Willow banks is a new facility a bit further out but looks very impressive, Spalding and district RC run nice outdoor shows in summer and the local pony clubs run Hunter trials and ODEs. Hoods at Lincoln or Norton Disney are fab for Xc schooling. I grew up at North Kyme and now have a livery between Boston and Skegness so know the area pretty well if you have any other questions.

Gottaloveaginger

Visit site
Hi GTLAG, I used to use Rase Vets when I lived near Tattershall. They do zone visits. I found them to be very good. They have equine facilities too and equine dentists www.raseveterinarycentre.co.uk.

For feed/shavings all things equestrian I used Chandlers in Horncastle, www.chandlers.fe.co.uk and Phillips farm supplies, just up from Chandlers on the same small industrial estate www.phillips-animal-health-ltd.co.uk Phillips are considerably cheaper than Chandlers.

Try Robinsons in Billinghay for tack, saddle fitters etc, not used them myself but I think they have a good reputation. www.tandcrobinson.co.uk

I've seen there is a livery yard situated on the right hand side of the main road in the village of Haltham, travelling on the A153 from Coningsby to Horncastle, (passed what appears to be a fuel garage on left but is in fact a feed store and car sales) It advertises rug washing/repairs outside on an A board. It is on the right, immediately before the left turning into Haltham village propper. Never had to use them myself so unable to recommend.

My farrier was Simon Middlebrook DipWCF but this was for my donkeys, I found he was very good although I think he does far more horses than donkeys.

There is a large equestrian centre not far out of Boston called Sheepgate Equestrian they hold lots of competitions and training sessions. www.sheepgate.co.uk they also have a tack and togs shop.

As the donkeys were fed on barley straw, I can't recommend a hay or hayledge suppler but there should be lots about. They'll be able to help you in Chandlers or Phillips in Horncastle, or Robinsons.

Hope all the above helps you and that your move goes well. PM me if you need to know anything else, I'll be pleased to help if I'm able.

Thanks very much, this has been very helpful!

Last edited:

Gottaloveaginger

Visit site
Thank you everyone this has been extremely helpful! :) also nice to know there are some people on here in that area! Going to be very scary as I've been on livery yards for the 10 years ive had horses so to be on my own yard is exciting but nervous too!

chillipup

Visit site
Chillipup. Tower Equine vets are based at Grimsthorpe just outside Bourne and do cover that area.

Ah yes Suelin, I can see that now, thank you, I'll put it down to my brilliant typing skills :eek: I wondered why someone would suggest a clinic in Leicestershire!

EleanorC

New User
Visit site
Hello
Rug fix is an equine laundry and repairs business near Spilsby. They offer free delivery and collection for local yards or large quantities. There is a page on facebook if you want to get in touch with them?