Equine Sports Massage & Therapy - Your Views Please...

RachaelC

New User
Visit site
Please share your views on the practice of Equine Sports Massage & Therapy. Would you ever use such a method?

How are these methods viewed by traditional vets?

I would love to hear your opinions and experiences...

kizzywiz

Visit site
I have had Equine Sports Massage for my 2 competition ponies for a few years now, wouldn't use anything else. Gary is fab, finds any tight bits, is completely straight about whether he needs a repeat call, (unlike some well known physios I have used previously) & they always feel better when he has been. If you can find a good one like Gary, I could thoroughly recommend it.

Bert&Maud

Visit site
I use one regularly. I have had massages myself and always felt really great after, so figure the horse should hopefully feel the same. I certainly wouldn't go for anything such as "back men" etc!. My massage therapist is brilliant at identifying tight or painful areas which she will report to me so they can be investigated by the vet if necessary. Horses always go much more freely once she has been for a visit.

RachaelC

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone - interesting to see such positive opinions. It's just that I'm seeing a few electrical devices appear on the market which claim to be able to do the same thing. I personally prefer the hands on method as this can be properly applied and tailored to the specific needs of the horse. Just wondered if there is still a demand for the hands on, personal approach.

Thanks again. x

kerilli

Visit site
yes, they are very good. my best friend is a qualified ESMT, she's over in Hereford now, and only does my horses occasionally, but the feedback i get from her about them is invaluable. i have a hand-held massager too but it is hugely inferior.
for instance she came to see my new ex-race mare and said that her skin is really tight all over her body, the fascia that joins it to the muscles is (are?) really tight, and she showed me how to gently roll it to loosen it and make the mare more comfy. massive difference in the horse. i then went and tried it on my others who had much looser skin! bizarre, sort of thing i would never have noticed or known about.
very very highly recommended. you will learn stuff about your horse that you would never have known, and i'm convinced it helps to keep them sound, and avoid injuries.