Equine Studies BSc.: What are you doing now?

peanut0611

Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I'm in my 2nd year of an equine studies BSc. and am at a loss. All jobs that seem attractive to me are not in the equine industry.

Did you do an equine studies BSc? And what are you doing now?

Quantock-cob

Visit site
My friend did this course and has since retrained as a small animal vet nurse. What about looking into equine vet nursing?

peanut0611

Visit site
My friend did this course and has since retrained as a small animal vet nurse. What about looking into equine vet nursing?

Thanks for your reply :) I was a bit put off by vet nursing (after being really interested in it!) due to the low pay :/

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Hmmm...trouble is many animal care jobs are not brilliantly paid. The good thing with vet nursing is that your vet practice should pay for you to attend college and pay for your exams, so you get your qualification whilst working. I do think it is the type of job you do because you love it, rather than wanting to be rich, though :)

Another thought for jobs with this degree would be as a rep for a drug/ feed company? Not sure how you go about getting those jobs, though.

allowayhorses

Visit site
Hi did a degree in equine studies and business management 7 years ago. My first job out of uni was working for a feed company. I did this for 18months however my admin role developed into an accounts job and I am now a credit controller, so absolutely nothing to do with my degree :-( horses are just a hobby for me now.

splash30

Visit site
I did equine and business BSc I worked with horses for 5 years (ish) but then I decided I needed to grow up and get a proper job, plus my back was not enjoying the physical work, now after a few years (well quite a lot) I'm a manager of a contact centre in the financial sector and have my horses as my hobby.

Silmarillion

Visit site
I did a BSc Equine Studies, worked as a groom for a couple of years, and am now in the Banking team of a pensions company. I enjoyed the accounting side of my degree so I'm eventually looking to get into that.

I actually got showed the door after mentioning my degree in one recruitment agency I went to.

Jax

Visit site
I went down that route too and given the expense and all passed over to I.T. instead, did a few stints doing data and inventory control, now in I.T., but horses are a hobby.

Star_Piper

Visit site
I've not worked in a single job related to my BSC Equine Science degree at all! Trouble was, I didn't get a really good degree, and all the jobs I was interested in were highly competitive (and involved moving away from home) so I didn't pursue it. I now work in banking. My degree was only ever a talking point at interviews as most people didn't know what it was, not because it had much relevance.

I am considering re-training as an accountant though, as I enjoyed the accountancy module of my degree, and enjoy working with numbers (and it'll fund my horse-habit a bit better than my current job does!)

Tapir

Visit site
I have a BA Hons Equine Studies. I worked as an account manager for an equestrian wholesaler, then as a claims advisor for a horse and rider insurance company and then ran an on-line equestrian retail company

Flakey123

Visit site
I'm a small animal veterinary nurse and the pay is appalling! Long hours, most days I wouldn't get a lunch break due to vets overbooking cases and emergencies. I wouldn't say it's worth the training you have to do to be honest.

What about starting your own business? I left my job to work independently and although it wasn't as interesting (walking dogs and seeing to people's pets in their homes for grooming and giving medications etc) I earned as much as I did in practice only working a few hours a day. :) There must be lots of Equine related businesses you could start?