Equitop Myoplast

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Real opinions and preferably results (including pictures if possible) of the above supplement please.

It’s a fair price for something that won’t work. Vet has recommis need putting my Cushings boy of it after he has lost a lot of topline very quickly. He is still in light work (hacking), Vet advocates it for horses still sound enough for Work and he is the way he bounces out of the stable daily with or without tack.

Thank you in advance and for your patience.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ask your vet what testing has been done to prove it works. I asked the manufacturer and they emailed back 'it's a supplement, there is no requirement to test supplements'. Personally, I think the way vets are pushing it on people and billing then for it is completely unethical.

Look up Prof. David Marlin's analysis of it. He says it contains nothing active that isn't in 100g or less of oats.

Louby

Visit site
I had a tub and was told it must be used alongside work as pointless without. I thought it worked, or maybe the work she was getting worked :) Tbf her condition disappeared (bad locking stifle), so either the extra work, the Myoplast or it just went but I didnt want it it come back so after a bit of research and because of how expensive it is I bought Feedmarks Spirulina instead.

Escapade

Visit site
I have never noticed any effect from it. The yard has turned inside out since adding a dollop of oil to their feeds but honestly I don’t know what is suitable for a Cushings horse

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I had a tub and was told it must be used alongside work as pointless without. I thought it worked, or maybe the work she was getting worked :) Tbf her condition disappeared (bad locking stifle), so either the extra work, the Myoplast or it just went but I didnt want it it come back so after a bit of research and because of how expensive it is I bought Feedmarks Spirulina instead.

Bad locking stifle would have gone with the work load. Thats the only thing that will help that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Isn't it shameful that for several years now vets have been selling Myoplast to their clients, and in my experience almost pushing it on them, when there is no evidence whatever that it does anything that a rehab program doesn't? It makes me wonder how much money they make out of the stuff. I'm surprised their code of ethics allows it, tbh.

I was told to use it for a kissing spines rehab but after checking with the maker for the results of trials and being told there were none, I didn't. When the vet saw my horse at the follow up, they thought I had done what they told me to.

JillA

Visit site
Isn't it shameful that for several years now vets have been selling Myoplast to their clients, and in my experience almost pushing it on them, when there is no evidence whatever that it does anything that a rehab program doesn't? It makes me wonder how much money they make out of the stuff. I'm surprised their code of ethics allows it, tbh.

I was told to use it for a kissing spines rehab but after checking with the maker for the results of trials and being told there were none, I didn't. When the vet saw my horse at the follow up, they thought I had done what they told me to.

They seem to have covered all the bases - it was recommended to me for a poor doer by WHW. I did my usual of checking ingredients though and let them know they too could save money by just buying spirulina. Not sure if they took the advice, or whether Equitop supplied it FOC or very much reduced price.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I was recommended it by my vet but opted to go down the straight spirulina route. I also fed myoplast when I won a pot. Spirulina was better but i assume that was because I was feeding slightly more active ingredient. I've also used powerstance which is concentrated copra (another competition win) which worked but would have been expensive. I currently use whey protein which is cheaper and palatable but appreciate many prefer not to feed animal derived products.

I have a horse that is very fussy, doesn't always hold weight and loses topline easily. I'm on a livery yard and the hay is not always consistent. Certain times he starts to look a little under and supplementing something that is a source of protein/amino acids seems to help.

If it was under my control I would actively source higher protein forage as a solution.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aside from sending some horses loopy I can't say I've seen any tangible results on any of the horses I've seen any used on over and above what you would expect to see on a horse on a decent fitness building regime with a suitable level of protein in their diet.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I can't quite fathom something that is mostly sugar being suggested for a cushings horse?

Shameful isn't it Ester!

My previous vets did the same to me, not only recommending Equitop Myoplast but also asked me if I wanted a couple of samples to try before I bought of supplements they were going to stock. When I read the ingredients and queried why they were recommending supplements coated in sugar for my Cushings horse they didn't have much of a reply...

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am a huge fan I tried it after two vets who complete both separately recommended it .
The horses need to be in proper correct work. I am not sure I would give it to a horse out of work with Cushing.
I was hugely spectical but neither of the vets who recommended it to me as fans of wasting money so I gave it a go .

First Flame

Visit site
I tried it on my older girl, did two tubs and didn't notice a blind bit of difference, tried spirulina after and same there, no difference (she was in quite hard work too). I had better results from using excel muscle pro from equiform nutrition (rice bran oil) but to be honest her top line had improved the greatest since feeding her Baileys performance Balancer!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site

Isn't homeopathy some thing they are trying to outlaw :D:D:D

Fruitcake

Visit site
My horse was sent home from hospital last year with a tub. Really struggled to get him to eat it and eventually gave up.

Not sure I’d want to give it to a pony with Cushings though- it’s really high in sugar!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horse was sent home from hospital last year with a tub. Really struggled to get him to eat it and eventually gave up.

Not sure I’d want to give it to a pony with Cushings though- it’s really high in sugar!
They get very much every day so a horse would have to be pretty sick to be affected by the sugar .
The dose for a large horse is about two dessert spoons not a lot for an for animal weighting over 500 kilos .

Casey76

Visit site
Unless you’re doing muscle building work, no su-plement you feed is going to magically add correct topline.

Spirulina in itself is a protein dense supplement, but nothing that a mug of micronized linseed doesn’t contain.

The most important amino acids for building muscle are leucine, methionine and threonine; and any proprietary amino acid blend, or protein powder will supply all 3 in varying amounts and ratios.

Equitop Myoplast is nothing but a money making scam perpetrated by vets in collusion with the manufacturer on the unsuspecting horse owning public. IMHO.

cm2581

Visit site
I had a big 3/4 TB mare with cushings. She also lost a huge amount of muscle mass and looked quite horrific. The one thing that I found that made a huge difference was 200g daily of hipro soya meal. It's a stuff I hate feeding or recommending but it really did work.

Ben2684

Visit site
There is a very interesting article somewhere (I know that’s not helpful) on the addition of proteins to a horses diet. Basically the article (from a respected biologist) states that any ‘extra’ protein you fed your horse was wasted as it would be expelled. Your horse can only utilise what it’s body needs and any extra was wasted. The underline of the ariticke was basically Correct consistent work builds muscle nothing else does. Therefore I am very wary of anything that claims to build muscle. If it was as easy as diet wouldn’t we all be doing it??