Equitrek horse boxes

eahotson

Visit site
Has anyone got a three and a half ton Equitrek horsebox? Are you happy with it? Just starting to look for a small horsebox.Are there any websites giving advice about what to look for? I know about payloads having had a motorhome but it is things like breast bars/build quality etc. that I am thinking of.Any recommendations for dealers in Cheshire/Lancashire?

Annagain

Visit site
Equitrek aren't renowned for their build quality or aftersales service (if you're buying new, that's obviously less of an issue if you're buying a 2nd hand one that's out of warranty). There are other manufacturers with much better reputations.
Boss horseboxes are in N. Wales (I think near the border) and have a good reputation.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I also looked at Equitrek and disregarded them on build quality.

I also prefer a long stall, or stallion or professional box, all meaning the same thing that they don't have a breast bar for the horse to jump on or over.

I would certainly disregard any box that didn't have a way of releasing the horse if it did go over a breast bar. I prefer an XL back door that could be used as an escape door in case of accident.

I would also like to know how many screws etc are holding the ramp shut. Some ramps are held only by a few external screws, frightening. Also how the external walls are braced ad attached to the floor. The bulkhead is also very important the keep the horse out of the cab if you have an accident!

Some cheaper boxes are sadly lacking in these areas.

eahotson

Visit site
I also looked at Equitrek and disregarded them on build quality.

I also prefer a long stall, or stallion or professional box, all meaning the same thing that they don't have a breast bar for the horse to jump on or over.

I would certainly disregard any box that didn't have a way of releasing the horse if it did go over a breast bar. I prefer an XL back door that could be used as an escape door in case of accident.

I would also like to know how many screws etc are holding the ramp shut. Some ramps are held only by a few external screws, frightening. Also how the external walls are braced ad attached to the floor. The bulkhead is also very important the keep the horse out of the cab if you have an accident!

Some cheaper boxes are sadly lacking in these areas.
Thank you for your advice.

eahotson

Visit site
Equitrek aren't renowned for their build quality or aftersales service (if you're buying new, that's obviously less of an issue if you're buying a 2nd hand one that's out of warranty). There are other manufacturers with much better reputations.
Boss horseboxes are in N. Wales (I think near the border) and have a good reputation.
Thank you.I will look at them.I have looked at Regent horseboxes website in Lancashire.They look good.

Visit site
They aren't called Equi-Trash for no reason.

Unless you were being gifted one which you could then sell on to buy a better box with I wouldn't touch one with with a 10ft barge pole.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Marlborough Hunter 3.5 boxes are good and are sturdily built. I’ve hired one locally, the hire company investigated all the various makes and Marlborough came out best for the money. Bloomfields, Boss etc. are also excellent but will cost more.

Equitrek are nicknamed ‘Equitrash‘ for a reason :oops:. Regent have a poor rep, too.

I hired a Marlborough stud box like this. If I had the money...

StowfordPress

Visit site
I’d recommend WW trading in Norfolk. May be a bit far but delivered anywhere in UK, and start at 15k + vat now I think. Seem cheap but man building them is honestly just a sweetheart and shows you the whole process inc. reinforcement of box, etc. Ours is perfect. :)

hottoddy

Visit site
I bought a new equitrek in 2014 and absolutely love it. It’s used 2-3 times a week and we have been abroad in it and have not had any problems at all. Only thing that has been replaced is the gas canisters on the ramp as expected and equitrek were great to deal with and sent the parts out the day I spoke to them for me to do myself

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you.I will look at them.I have looked at Regent horseboxes website in Lancashire.They look good.

No no no no no no.

NO!

I have one, and although it was good value for money for me it is only because I have an OH who was able to fix the string of things which were wrong with it.

It had a new ramp at less than a year old, done by the manufacturer, and too many fixes by my OH to list. The paint quality is appalling and the slightest stone chip takes it down to white undercoat, the top coat simply isn't properly stuck on.

Don't buy Regent or the nearby dealer who puts their badge on a Regent build.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My friend has an Equitrek trailer. It was delivered with parts that were in the spec missing and other parts not working. It went back within a year because something else failed on it. They tried to tell her it was her fault.

Friends have just had great service from Cookes, and I've never heard a bad word said about Tatton or Boss, but all three are top end prices.

I've heard of a lot of problems with Alexander's and some terrible service.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've heard of a lot of problems with Alexander's and some terrible service.

I looked at Alexander's too, they could not tell me a vehicle weight (?) and the floor was suspect to say the least.

They did then have issues with a horse going through the floor and having to be PTS. Big news.

They did have shiny paintwork.

I believe they are now out of business.

eahotson

Visit site
No no no no no no.

NO!

I have one, and although it was good value for money for me it is only because I have an OH who was able to fix the string of things which were wrong with it.

It had a new ramp at less than a year old, done by the manufacturer, and too many fixes by my OH to list. The paint quality is appalling and the slightest stone chip takes it down to white undercoat, the top coat simply isn't properly stuck on.

Don't buy Regent or the nearby dealer who puts their badge on a Regent build.

Thanks.

Visit site
Marlborough Hunter 3.5 boxes are good and are sturdily built. I’ve hired one locally, the hire company investigated all the various makes and Marlborough came out best for the money. Bloomfields, Boss etc. are also excellent but will cost more.

Equitrek are nicknamed ‘Equitrash‘ for a reason :oops:. Regent have a poor rep, too.

I hired a Marlborough stud box like this. If I had the money...

I don't like the flip up top doors. I am always affraid they will bang their heads! I much prefer the split top half doors.

tda

Visit site
Two friends have them, one just purchased, the other has had a couple of years. They seem more than happy with payload etc.

If I win the lottery I will be getting a 4.5ton gross Kevin Parker Horsebox ?

Floofball

Visit site
Used to hire one and it was ok, but when I came to buy my own I did lots of research that led me to Kevin Parker or Bloomfields, after talking to both went with Kevin and team - absolutely no regrets ??

lamlyn2012

Visit site
JM Horseboxes in Lancashire. Martin is passionate about the boxes he builds. We have a 7.5 ton and love it.
Would keep away from Equitrek aka Equi-wreck!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
One of my instructors had a built from new Equitrek and she had a terrible time sorting out all the issues with it and their customer service. I think in the end they had to give her a replacement box.

Marlborough have a good reputation. I’ve a friend who had a new build who’s very happy and another who has a second hand Hunter model who again is very happy with it.