Equitrek v Ifor Williams. Sorry I know its been done before

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
I've just bought a 6 yo equitrek show trekka L and think it's great. I understand from a dealer that those built before 09 are not worth having as there have been improvements since then.
So far so good, large young horses in it. Nice low ramp and very easy to do. Room for changing, cup of tea etc.
A lot of trailers are as good as the maintenance they get. They're much more technical than they used to be and if they're not regularly serviced etc things are bound to break.
Ifor's are great, but we liked the convenience of the show trekka. I also like the travelling backwards.

Louby

Visit site
Go back to a truck, lol :)
Ha ha, dont say that lol. We have had a wobble since selling it as my truck was fab, just massive! and I only have one horse. Ive had such bad luck with horses over the last 3 years that apart from going for a run to keep things working, its carried a horse probably about 4 times! and cost us a fortune as its been stood about too much. We did think about a 3.5t so I could keep my small car but that would cost me quite a lot more than a trailer a 4x4 with the money from part exing my car too. I suppose its weighing up the pros and cons monetry wise as a 4x4's upkeep would probably be more than having a smaller lorry and keeping my trusty golf.

Louby

Visit site
I've just bought a 6 yo equitrek show trekka L and think it's great. I understand from a dealer that those built before 09 are not worth having as there have been improvements since then.
So far so good, large young horses in it. Nice low ramp and very easy to do. Room for changing, cup of tea etc.
A lot of trailers are as good as the maintenance they get. They're much more technical than they used to be and if they're not regularly serviced etc things are bound to break.
Ifor's are great, but we liked the convenience of the show trekka. I also like the travelling backwards.
Thanks for that, I was told too by an Equitrek dealer this year when I went with a friend to pick her new lorry up to not go older than 7 yrs old. Interestingly though, years ago when I got my first IW the dealer then said the original day/night trekas were much better built than the later ones, so it must be the few in the middle that they had a blip with.

Louby

Visit site
10 plus vat. We were looking at a lorry which wouldn't still have carried enough horses really and would have been dearer to buy and then run so this seemed like a cheap option for our sponsor. Will be towing with a 3.5 tonne rated pick up. I haven't looked at the rest of the CL range but perhaps there is something that fits your spec and budget. I just wouldn't rule them out without looking at them in the flesh as I had done until I saw this bad boy :eek:. I thought the fautras looked amazing until I was faced with it at the dealer's. Didn't look at the nugents as didn't fit my spec but they do look smart and worth a look.

The only benefit of IW is they hold their value like nothing else in the world but if you aren't buying new then that isn't actually a benefit.

Thanks, I think we need to try and look at a few different makes and thanks re the Fautras, again Ive never actually seen one. We were hoping to buy either a new or nearly new IW or spend up to £6.5/£7k max on a 2nd hand Equitrek show treka but the space treka would probably do me for what I want.

Lottiedots

Visit site
i recently switched my Ivor 510 for an Equitrek space Trekker. I bought a second hand one from a friend that was selling hers.Its not as well made as the Ivor Williams but I love having a place to keep my tack and bits and bobs, the horse likes rear facing, being able to tack up inside the trailer when its raining etc is a real bonus. It tows really well too. I also have a portaloo in the tack area which is so handy! I have a local guy who services it for me who i trust. I wanted a 3.5 ton lorry which i couldn't afford and this is the closest thing. We have Landrover 90 so towing is easy. The Ivor with living is very smart but its huge! I certainly wouldnt want to try and park that in a small space!

millitiger

Visit site
Those have had a recall and all sorted it was a duff batch of axles from the manufacturer ! Admittedly they didnt handle it well they should have picked up on it sooner but assumed it wasnt their problem because that axle had been used for years.
I have had the same issue with IW with two cattle trailers rolling due to wheels snapping off so its not Just equitrek they would not accept it was their problem either until I found out other farmers had similar problems with Ifor stock trailers.

Afraid you are incorrect.
It happened about 2 months ago, equitrek were informed and advised this was not in the faulty batch and must be wear and tear and they were not liable!
Dreadful build quality and horrific customer services, as I said you couldn't pay me to own one of these awful trailers.

popsdosh

Visit site
Afraid you are incorrect.
It happened about 2 months ago, equitrek were informed and advised this was not in the faulty batch and must be wear and tear and they were not liable!
Dreadful build quality and horrific customer services, as I said you couldn't pay me to own one of these awful trailers.

How old is the trailer? Most of their snapped axles were caused by bearing failure that should have been picked up at servicing. My bearings are checked often as easy to do never had to change a bearing yet and trailer has done a lot of miles. Another cause is the trailer not sitting level on the road so causing an overload on either of the axles this is something the user should check on each tow vehicle it goes on .

Annagain

Visit site
I'm sort of in a similar position. I have an IW and it's great but I tow with a Defender 90. While I love it and feel far happier towing with it than any other car I've had, it doesn't leave much space for tack etc so would love a trailer with storage. My horse has been on friend's Equitrek and travels so much better on it (although is fine on the IW) and I feel it tows better too. She's had issues with hers though - mainly the ramp rotting as the seal between the rubber and the wood and the ramp and the trailer when it's closed, is terrible so water gets in between and rots the wood.

My trailer servicing man is horrified at the thought of me getting rid of the best IWs they made (in his opinion - the last of the old style) for an Equitrek. I asked him to keep an eye of out for a good Space Treka for me and he did all he could to talk me out of it. The Equitrek is such a good concept, it's a shame their build quality and customer service is so poor.

HandBR

Visit site
I am going to stick up for Equitrek! However, mine was bought new about 6 years ago. Its a Show Trekka M and I can't say I've had any problems with it. I get it serviced annually (not by Equitrek as their nearest dealer is miles away) but by a local company who do a fantastic job. The only thing I've had to replace is the jockey wheel as the lightweight one it came with gave up the ghost and I had to replace with a HD one which hasn't given any bother in years.

I know the old versions had a very very bad rep but I would buy mine again, no problem! It's heavier to tow than my old Ifor though and I tow with a 3.5ltr Trooper. You really wouldn't want to tow with anything that wasn't hefty. But the horses load and travel beautifully and I love the space - double tack locker, somewhere to get changed and have a brew. I keep all my show gear in the living space all year round so no need to panic about forgetting boots, jacket, body protector etc etc which was always an issue on show days with my Ifor.