Erm delicate problem

Slave2Magic

Visit site
I have recently taken on a 2 year old lhasa apso. She is a lovely girl and such a sweetie apart from her resource guarding issue which we are dealing with. The only other issue that has cropped up is her dislike of her bottom touching. i noticed her nibbling at it and she has a piece of poo stuck to her hair. When I tried to remove it gently she snapped. What is the best way forward with this one please?

Cahill

Visit site
i got my new dog used to a muzzle using treats so he would happily put his nose in and then i was able to do his nails quickly and confidently.
now i can do then without it.

dont know if this helps if you need to do it tend to the problem right now?

Alec Swan

Visit site
What would I do? It's only a small dog and in reality, they aren't that strong, I'd place the dog on a table, hold it firmly with both hands around its neck (OBVIOUSLY not throttling it!), and then have someone standing behind with a pair of scissors!

I'm afraid to say that I'd approach the problem from a no-nonsense standpoint, and the food guarding would get the same treatment. I short, I wouldn't bloody well put up with it!

Alec.

satinbaze

Visit site
Tie her up using a flat collar and short lead tie to something strong and immovable. Place one arm under dog just in front of back legs. Place dog so that she cannot spin around and get to you then you have your second arm free to groom her. Once you have removed the stuck poo then you will need to spend time getting her to tolerate being touched. If you do this before her meal she should associate grooming with nice things.
Alternatively take her to a groomer. Maybe worth getting her anal glands checked

Equi

Visit site
Having had poodles in the past, and a very long coated retriever, i have to agree with alec. Non nosense, just get it done.

deb_l222

Visit site
If you're attempting the poo removal single handed, then a muzzle is your friend. Pop it on and just crack on and get the job done. You can then spend time afterwards (still with the muzzle on) getting her used to having her bottom touched all over in your own time.

A quick trip to the vets is probably a good idea re. anal glands. They can be very painful and if they're impacted, this will make her irritable and snappy. Just keep in mind that anal gland 'probing' is not particularly pleasant and if you're not 100% confident you can contain her head at the vets, then muzzle her there also. A vet's hands are the tools of his / her trade.

I've had some right 'daft dolly' dogs over the years and none of them has ever bore a grudge for being muzzled when the occasion required it. Rufus still has to go to the vets like Hanibal Lecter (sp) as I wouldn't 100% trust him.

Bellasophia

Visit site
What would I do? It's only a small dog and in reality, they aren't that strong, I'd place the dog on a table, hold it firmly with both hands around its neck (OBVIOUSLY not throttling it!), and then have someone standing behind with a pair of scissors!

I'm afraid to say that I'd approach the problem from a no-nonsense standpoint, and the food guarding would get the same treatment. I short, I wouldn't bloody well put up with it!

Alec.

Ditto above ,but I would be the one behind with some clippers on 3mm setting...close enough to do a sanitary shave,but gentle enough to be sure you don't distress the dog,have zero risk of razor burn,and it's fast and effective....
Then give treats and praise.
I have to shave my mini schnauzer 's derrière each week...I secure her under my arm,whilst she is on a table, and have the other hand free to do her sanitary groom,,in the early days she was akin to a wolverine the snarls she made...after twocarefulgrooms she s a lamb...they need to feel secure and that comes from you giving the dog confidence.
On a good note,if this is a lhasa and not shitz tsu,the coat will be easier to keep on top of and less prone to tangles...but she has to go on the table each day to be brushed.

LD&S

Visit site
I hate muzzles always have and always will but I think they have their uses and this is one of them. I would use it at other times as well so it wasn't only associated with rear end grooming.

chillipup

Visit site
I'd recommend trying Alec's suggestion, as he's right, they aren't that strong. However, If you don't feel very confident, even being at the relatively safe end of the dog with a pair of scissors, pop dog round to your vet, they can muzzle and check out any problems at same time.

Then groom on table everyday as others suggest, rewarding if/as appropriate, until dog becomes accepting and no longer fearful.

Just a thought, do they make a muzzle that fits brachycephalic (short muzzled, snub nosed) breeds?

Bellasophia

Visit site
Hang on a minute...how many of you have actually met a lhasa apso?
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/lhasaapsos.html
This breed is worlds apart from its cousin the shitztsu..who wants to be everyone's best friend..
they are quite substantial dogs,despite being low on the leg.Proud,aloof,long memories..you need to gain their trust,not muzzle the beast...this may work for a couple of times ,but then you are finished regarding anyfuture rapport with this dog.
If you groom,you realize the dog needs to be on a table,and will need daily attention..this is not a wash and wear breed.
For those who keep quoting the manhandle approach..try living with a sensitive breed..my poodles are second in the dog intelligence tables( first is the border collie) and would reject anyone who thought they could muzzle the beast and enforce their will. the dog will shut down rather than submit..you have to coax,reassure and then assert...

twiggy2

Visit site
I would take the dog to the vets for a health check (many do them free for new pets) I would want to rule out pain, especially with anal glands and then I would take the softly softly approach-get her used to you touching places when she is tired and work towards areas she is touchy about.
My current lurcher did not like her feet being touched and it has taken 3 months but now she sits stock still whilst I clip her claws, for many dogs manhandling is the only way but often that is then how it stays, but for others you can gain trust by taking things slowly and things then become easier.
you have had the dog no time at all and there is no reason she should automatically trust you.
what is she resource guarding?

For me trust and respect go hand i hand both being as important as the other, that said I do think that at the start a dog needs to learn to trust people in order to work on respect. You can have trust without respect but you can only have fear/apprehension not respect without trust.

Last edited:

Teaselmeg

Visit site
I'm sure you have this sorted already, but the last thing I would so is force the dog down and 'just get on with it ' how is that going to help the dog be calm and trust you when you want to do anything around its rear end again !

I would pop the dog in the bath and use the shower to wash away the poop from a distance ( tie the dog to a bath handle if you have one) and reward any calm behaviour. Then work on getting the dog used to a muzzle and rear end handling, so you are better prepared if it happens again or if you need to have the vet examine her.

maxapple

Visit site
If try the bath approach - that might help the poop be easier to get out. I think if you try the pin her down approach you'll be creating a bigger issue next time. Then take to the vets to see if there is a reason she's unhappy with u touching her bottom.

Get her used to a muzzle. I have to muzzle my JRT at the vets - he's never gone to bite me but would have the vets fingers! He lets me put the muzzle on now (just makes lots of noise and shows his fangs). Means we can sort issues out safely!