errr ringworm info?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've been trying to restrain myself from saying this! Also the fact you knew there was a horse with ringworm but didn't think it was worth mentioning!? My mind boggles about the youth of today!:eek:

Maybe, just maybe, she didn't know the full extent of what ringworm is? It's a word to her. Yes she's been told not to touch the horse, but if she hasn't then she's not going to connect the two is she. And, how many on here really did know just how contagious ringworm is and how long it can live in wood?? I only found out last year.

I sometimes wonder at the OP's strength of persaverance. She keeps coming on here and asking questions and learning, but every single time she gets shot down by at least one person. I have horses. I've ridden for years. I don't know everything about them, their diseases, etc. etc. etc.; some people could consider my posts as 'attention seeking', frankly I don't care, if you don't like the title or the thread instigator, then don't open it!

For goodness sake, give the OP a break.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, she didn't know the full extent of what ringworm is? It's a word to her. Yes she's been told not to touch the horse, but if she hasn't then she's not going to connect the two is she. And, how many on here really did know just how contagious ringworm is and how long it can live in wood?? I only found out last year.

I sometimes wonder at the OP's strength of persaverance. She keeps coming on here and asking questions and learning, but every single time she gets shot down by at least one person. I have horses. I've ridden for years. I don't know everything about them, their diseases, etc. etc. etc.; some people could consider my posts as 'attention seeking', frankly I don't care, if you don't like the title or the thread instigator, then don't open it!

Hear hear Mrs M. This girl has put up with an awful lot and I wonder how people would feel if their own child was treated this way. Children rely on adults to show them the way, in all respects. They need our knowledge they need our experience and they need to feel safe to ask questions without being shot down. What a marvellous example some people are giving her in how to treat people in this short life.

I am surprised the Mod hasn't slapped some wrists for the way they keep picking on her.

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com

Well said Mrs M!!!
she has stated in posts she can't approach people at her yard and parents aren't horsey at all, it must be hard! Infact I know it is, coming from a non-horsey back ground. She is only in her early teens too and not as old and mature as some people on here.

I am wondering though, if there is another case of ringworm on the yard... has that owner and the YO started putting precautions in place?

redcascade

Visit site
Never reply to the OP as I know how nasty it can get. In her defence I didn't know what ringworm was/looked like before reading this, not everyone knows everything! I appreciate being able to come on here and learn new things because I enjoy being able to help my horse. Completely agree with MrsM(as usual :p Always so diplomatic..)
As for 'the youth of today' I think you'll find that some of us can spell and put a sentence together, better than some of the adults on here infact :rolleyes: (although learning difficulties etc don't count!)
I think the OP seems far more responsible than she first did and good on her! At least she's learning, suprised she has come back for more with the amount she's been shot down on here! Good luck OP, a vet and some elbow grease is required me thinks! :p

redcascade

Visit site
If she thought about what she was saying before she said it, or worded things a little better, then maybe she wouldn't get such grief!

Exactly why I don't reply, the way she writes winds me up and I know I will be one of those people that ends up shooting her down, if you don't like it put her on user block or don't read or reply to her threads, save getting at the poor girl! Whoa! Can't believe I'm defending her :p

Last edited:

EventingDaun

Visit site
Exactly why I don't reply, the way she writes winds me up and I know I will be one of those poeple that ends up shooting her down, if you don't like it put her on user block or don't read or reply to her threads, save getting at the poor girl! Whoa! Can't believe I'm defending her :p

I'm fairly new, can someone tell me how to do a user block?

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Exactly why I don't reply, the way she writes winds me up and I know I will be one of those poeple that ends up shooting her down, if you don't like it put her on user block or don't read or reply to her threads, save getting at the poor girl! Whoa! Can't believe I'm defending her :p

I have given up with her trivial posts (e.g. what tack do you use and why) as I don't see how it is helpful or relevant to know about any of my horses' equipment, and her lack of effort with spelling and grammar, but ringworm is a serious matter, and any disease that Ebony has needs to be dealt with quickly and correctly, so, as she has asked for help, I have given help.

A lot of the things she has said in the past has annoyed me (my horse is annoying me, I can't be bothered type statements) but I think she is genuinely trying to do her best to clear this matter up.

Good luck OP.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I have given up with her trivial posts (e.g. what tack do you use and why) as I don't see how it is helpful or relevant to know about any of my horses' equipment, and her lack of effort with spelling and grammar, but ringworm is a serious matter, and any disease that Ebony has needs to be dealt with quickly and correctly, so, as she has asked for help, I have given help.

A lot of the things she has said in the past has annoyed me (my horse is annoying me, I can't be bothered type statements) but I think she is genuinely trying to do her best to clear this matter up.

Good luck OP.

redcascade

Visit site
Click on your name near the top of the page(where it says private messages) go On 'User CP(top left), under 'Setting and Options' it says 'Edit Ignore list', go there and type in her user name(make sure it's right and press 'Okay'. Hope that makes sense, good luck :p

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
If she thought about what she was saying before she said it, or worded things a little better, then maybe she wouldn't get such grief!

She's a teenager! Being the mother of a usually eloquant(sp!) and pleasant and lovely teenager, they have their moments no matter what their upbringing, or the standard of their communicaiton or language skills.

I would far rather someone came on here and asked in Klingon (though I might need a translator for that one), so long as they asked.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Hope it's not ringworm as it so annoying. If it is you will have to disinfect everything as others have said. Also don't forget the lorry as I think you posted about a show last weekend? My friends horse got it from a lorry.
Also a bucket of disinfectant (covered with something) by the stable door is really helpful. You can then wash off hands and stuff everytime you use it. Obviously stay away from the other horses. Also buy some hand cream too as you will be wrinkly after all the washing and soaking!

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Iodine. Invest in some, along with the rest of a first aid kit and stick it on there. Please buy a horse care book and read it cover to cover. You need to know the basics!!

mytwofriends

Visit site
What bothers me is how this girl, who obviously loves and cares for her horse, and has the courage to come on here and ask questions, always ends up getting snide and patronising comments from certain other members (not all, I hasten to add). The threads always seem to end up in an OP bashing and I feel very sorry for her. So we aren't all vets, some of us have been owning horses and riding for longer than we care to remember, and we can all still learn. Ever wondered how the girl feels, being judged by know-it-alls? Sorry to rant, but even though I'm relatively new to HHO and I love it, this side of it isn't very pleasant.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
yes vets been taking samples and said the other horses results came back a few weeks ago and had it so the chances are very likey that ebs has it
shes giving me a wash for her and will get results next week until then staying in and no riding [as some are were the girth goes so dont want to make them sore]

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Actually if any-one should be being slated on here IMO it should be the YO and the owner of the other horse which has ringworm. They should have ensured that the correct procedures were followed to stop the spread of this highly contagious condition. I also think that as BSJAetc's horse has caught its ringworm on this yard it should be the YO who is disinfecting fencing etc. The poor OP will have enough to do treating her own horse. Yes, teenagers can be very annoying, especially when they write in text-speak and the like but it is much easier and pleasanter to ignore their threads than to keep having ago at them

AFlapjack

Visit site
yes vets been taking samples and said the other horses results came back a few weeks ago and had it so the chances are very likey that ebs has it
shes giving me a wash for her and will get results next week until then staying in and no riding [as some are were the girth goes so dont want to make them sore]

Definitely get the YO to sort the whole disinfecting out. If Ebs has caught it off the other horse it sounds like more horses could have quite easily caught it too so make sure stables/yard/lorry/fencing (basically anything Ebs come in contact with) is thoroughly disinfected. You shouldn't have to do it all especially as you didn't bring it into the yard so push YO to do some or at least organise some people to help you(?), although perhaps you could do your own belongings and stable.

Well done for noticing it though and for getting the vet out. At least now it will get sorted and hopefully if you're tough with YO about disinfecting no other horses will get infected either.

Maybe you could put a sign outside Ebs' stable saying she possibly has ringworm so please don't touch or something along those lines...

Good luck :)

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
Hey well done for trying to get it sorted! Make sure you put signs all over, with something like that go OTT just in case.
On the thread about first aid kit's, I've put up a link to a premade first aid kit. Probably worth bullying (opps bribing) the folks in to buying one for you ;)

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
ok ill put up a sign saying dont touch ebs or my stuff coz the little kids go around touch all horses and yes i will do the vet even said if she has it i have to scrub everything :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com

Well done for getting the vet out, and for being persistant about getting the spots sorted out and looked at. I am quite shocked though that your YO hasn't been better in terms of educating, for want of a better word, the rest of the liveries as you should have been made more aware of the symptoms etc. rather than have to find out for yourself. As one horse has already been diagnosed with it, there should have been procedures put in place so as not to spread it. Hope it clears up soon.