Ertugliflozin and EMS

Katelouise

Visit site
Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any experience with the above?

My horse has been diagnosed with EMS this week and my vet has started us on 1.5 15mg tablets daily.

She explained it helps get rid of the excess insulin and in turn should help with the stubborn weight issues associated with the EMS. I know it's a fairly new drug so i don't know of anyone who has had experience of using it and what to expect, any side effects etc.

Many thanks

Portly

Visit site
Yes I used the syringes, had really good effect.
Whilst it gets into the system and does its job, they can urinate and drink more - mine lasted a few days but can be longer depending on insulin levels.
Mine ended up being on it longer term and it did the job we needed it too.

visa_bot

Visit site
Yes my horse was given this after EMS diagnosis. It really helped to get the weight off her but she was on a strict diet too (and box rest because she had really bad lami). It just helped to get the weight down more quickly, ultimately she lost almost 100kgs and I’ve been able to keep it off with muzzling in the field, soaking hay, and careful feeding. I don’t recall any real side effects. I’m on a similar drug for type 2 diabetes and it helped me lose some weight too with no side effects.

Katelouise

Visit site
Yes my horse was given this after EMS diagnosis. It really helped to get the weight off her but she was on a strict diet too (and box rest because she had really bad lami). It just helped to get the weight down more quickly, ultimately she lost almost 100kgs and I’ve been able to keep it off with muzzling in the field, soaking hay, and careful feeding. I don’t recall any real side effects. I’m on a similar drug for type 2 diabetes and it helped me lose some weight too with no side effects.
Thank you, thanks really good to know. I'm also soaking hay, very limited hard feed (handful of chaff/powdered balancer, eletrolytes. Turning out for two hours a day as no signs of lami and ridden 5-6 days a week. Hoping for a similar weight reduction..fingers crossed!

maya2008

Visit site
It’s pricey. We used the paste. It was the only thing that worked. It does make them drop weight like nothing on Earth so you have to come off it eventually. We’ve cut down to a smaller dose every other day, then will wean off it and hope we can keep everything under control with exercise.

V&F

Visit site
My mare suffered no side effects (apart from being a bit wetter in the stable). Insulin levels were down within two weeks, no longer has a crest and looks much better.

I pay £44 per tube, which lasts 2-3 weeks (she’s on 2ml per day)

foxy1

Visit site
I have the 15mg ertugliflozin tablets, brand name steglatro, they are £80 for 28 tablets (1 a day) from vet. You could get them cheaper with a prescription.
Has bought the insulin levels down in 2 weeks, and a lot of weight lost. Only side effects I've noticed is more drinking and wet in the stable.

maya2008

Visit site
My vet has recommended this for my EMS pony, how much does it cost per month?

Depends on size of pony as that affects how much you need to give. I paid £159.60 for a 100ml tube of 5mg/ml paste in May this year. Our initial dose was 2ml as pony weighed 200kg and the recommended dose is 0.05mg/kg.

For us it worked out at a tube every 50 days, about £96 per month. That’s for a Shetland though!

BimboMare

Visit site
Have used the tablets with a great result as a last resort on our Welsh A pony - was on 10mg daily for 3 months at the start of the year and is now still doing well with restricted grazing. She was never overweight and didn't lose anything on the medication... just much wetter (and learned to pee in a bucket on demand).
The Steglatro tablets come as 5mg and 10mg and they are the same price! Both cost around £100 for a box. Make sure to get the 15mg tablets and cut them into smaller bits with heavy scissors. It save you lots!