Escape artist! Advice needed...

ItsJzo

Visit site
I was given a black Welsh Section D a couple of weeks ago and so far she has come on pretty well, we had a professional out too ride her and give us her opinion on Kiyah and she said she doesn't need taking back to basics, and that the behaviour she displays when bought in from field is purely naughtiness and generally testing the boundries with a new owner, this is what I originally thought, because she had not been out of work when I got her and was ridden reguarly up until I got her! Once she is in the school she really focuses on her work, it's like she completely forgets how to be naughty! My sharer and I were told that there was a 110% chance that she would rear with a new rider, as she always has due to a previous accident, but with me taking my time in getting her to allow me under saddle, she has not reared and is riding beautifully. However the instructor did say that she doesn't understand her aids very well, but that will come with time.

So in a nutshell thats Kiyah, but the problem I am having is not her general behaviour now, its her field behaviour.....

She has a huge habit of breaking loose, and in the last week I have had 2 phonecalls to say she has broken the fencing and is running lose down the track. I was quite lucky really because there is a main road there and if she had walked through the cut throughs, she could have gone anywhere, and not too mention my little 2 year old cob follows her everywhere so that would have been 2 of the running lose!!

We have tried EVERYTHING to stop her escaping, we tried stabling, moving fields altogether, buying taller posts to try and deter her, and even putting her back in with my cob gelding. But I am not comfortable with keeping her in the same field as him because everytime she breaks the fencing or pulls it all down, he is following. He also needs restricted grazing because he lives on thin air, but because Kiyah keeps pulling the fencing down, they are getting onto long grass where he pigs out for a day.

We are at a loose end because it's not just as if she jumps the fencing and misses, she also (as witnessed a few times), has started kicking out at other horses that are on other side of the electric fence, and yesterday when she did this, she ended up with half her body in one field and half on the other, thus causing her too spook, run forward, and pull the entire lot down.

Being in with another horse makes absolutely no difference (as I suspected!)
We have tried mains electric & battery electric, and she will still break/jump/kick through it, and the mains is quite a zap!
She has also taken too not being caught, which causes a problem because if cornering her in an attempt to catch her for farrier etc, she will jump the nearest fence to get away.

We do have 1 last option and that is to try moving yards, but this is a nightmare because where we are is literally round the corner from both our houses, it's cheap and quiet and being a farm (but a very clean one), there is no bitchyness or trouble. There is also added bonuses of having only 3 people per locked tack room so less chance of stuff going missing..

Anyone else have an escape artist? And if so, what did you do to try and prevent it from happening?

Have also considered proper wooden fencing with 2 layers of tape or rope, but witnessing the way she charges through the fencing I really don't think that will make any difference and would be more worried about her ending up impaling herself!

I would speak to the yard owner about moving fields or putting her back down in the summer grazing where the mains is and putting the taller posts in there aswell, but he unfortunately passed away last week, and his brother has taken over and been thrown in at the deep end, as not a horsey person, so don't want to pester him with my troublesome horse!

ItsJzo

Visit site
Have you tried putting her in a field that has proper, permanent fencing?

As already stated, I don't think this would make the slightest bit of difference, I would also worry about her impaling herself. I have been there and watched how she goes about escaping.

Also she has been with us for 2 or 3 weeks now and we have spent most of the time trying to work with her, and trying other options because the last thing we wanted to do was move yards.
This is going to be one of our last options, moving to another yard with post and rail fencing. But in my opinion, tallers posts (same size as post and rail) are no different, and she still happily jumped that. She can jump it from a stand still, again I have seen her do this myself.

But hopefully will find out within next 2 weeks whether my friend has taken on her new yard which I believe has post and rail so it will be worth a try.

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
Have you tried using a builders barrier fence? I used to use this for an escape artist who would go through fencing. It's too high to jump and too solid to push through. It sits in concrete feet. I used to make a pen out of it and just move the pen around the field. I'm hoping you know the type of fencing I mean ? It's metal

Ladyinred

Visit site
Have you tried using a builders barrier fence? I used to use this for an escape artist who would go through fencing. It's too high to jump and too solid to push through. It sits in concrete feet. I used to make a pen out of it and just move the pen around the field. I'm hoping you know the type of fencing I mean ? It's metal

Haras fencing? Its about 7 foot high and although not recommended for horses you could put an electric tape barrier on the inside of it. You can often find it slightly damaged (ie bent) quite cheap on ebay. My daughter has loads of it and has made fox proof chicken runs from it. Great idea bettyboo.

ItsJzo

Visit site
Yeah I know the fencing you mean, not sure my yard owner would allow it but anything Is worth a try! Thank you x

PandorasJar

Visit site
As already stated, I don't think this would make the slightest bit of difference, I would also worry about her impaling herself. I have been there and watched how she goes about escaping.

As a general comment I'd probably disagree with this.

We have a pony who will go over/under/through temporary fencing. For electric we double stranded and she just ran at it (mains electric) snap the plastic stakes clean in half and will happily take the shock to get out.

Post and rail and she never bothers. Lent on it when first in and figured it wasn't worth it. It's not just the physical aspect but visually it's a lot more solid. Electric doesn't even compare in terms of strength.

What's making her go through? Perhaps some play things in the field. Or are they playing and chasing each other through it (we have horses who will chase another through when wanting to get out).
If your other horse is a worry then fence them seperately so that they can still be together in the field but if she goes he's still behind a strand. Or double electric fence, with a metre or so in between.

Is this a behaviour which she had with her previous owners? If not what has changed, different fencing, group size, field size etc

I'd be worried about simple electric fencing on a yard as a perimeter fence regardless of escapee horse. Even our easy horses take it down when they fancy.
And I'd also be very wary of builders fencing, never liked it as an option. Be careful if either have shoes/headcollar on. And consider outcomes if she runs at it and it goes over or she tries to climb it

Pan

SizzlerB

Visit site
I feel your pain! I have one the same.

Do you know her background atall ?

I took on a very timid but feisty Section a filly about 11 weeks ago - I saved her from the slaughter house - she stayed in for a while as she was wary of a headcollar at first and her general handling wasn't great.

Eventually I started to turn her out alongside but not in with, my mare and she was fine for a few days. After that she smashed through everything! I tried putting her in with my girl, doubling up fencing, zapping her etc. Nothing worked.

I had to bring her back in again and use the sandschool for some turnout but she started clambering through the rails there too!

Mine and my instructor's theory was some sort of insecurity. I started to turn her out for an hour or so in a secure paddock near to the yard - but not in sight of the other horses. So far so good, so I increased this turnout which then led to turning her out for a few hours near the other horses but in a seperate paddock - it did mean swapping fields as all ours are mains electric, bar two post and rail paddocks.

I ensured she came in at night and eventually was able to leave her out all day....last week she finally stayed out for 24 hours. I still have the odd day where she has gone through the strip grazing, but she has not attempted to go through the rails thankfully. She now seems very settled in a routine, whether she would still settle in with others I don't know; she definately likes to see others but not associate with them...YET!

I was advised to feed Magnitude and also to try Rescue Remedy in her water (which I didnt get round to as the Magnitude settled her enough).

Good luck!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
As already stated, I don't think this would make the slightest bit of difference, I would also worry about her impaling herself. I have been there and watched how she goes about escaping. .

But surely there has to be a field with permanent and properly erected perimeter fencing? No one would be insane enough to rely on electric fencing only. So pop her in one of those fields and see what happens. Horses very rarely attempt to go through permanent fencing.

PandorasJar

Visit site
But surely there has to be a field with permanent and properly erected perimeter fencing? No one would be insane enough to rely on electric fencing only. So pop her in one of those fields and see what happens. Horses very rarely attempt to go through permanent fencing.

I'd be inclined not to think so AM. From how I'm reading it it's an electric perimeter fence with a main road not too far away. And if that's the case I'd be out of there like a shot. Seen more than a couple like that locally and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Pan

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'd be inclined not to think so AM. From how I'm reading it it's an electric perimeter fence with a main road not too far away. And if that's the case I'd be out of there like a shot. Seen more than a couple like that locally and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Pan

Well if that's the case, I'd be out of there too.

Who needs a multi million pound law suit sitting on their head:confused::eek:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

This ^

I have got 2 paddocks fenced for escapees with permanent fencing to around 8 ft on the main boundary & 6ft internally. The rest of the boundary fencing is set at 6ft with full stock fencing (stops deer getting in & horses trolling out)
This complete ring of boundary fencing has wide electric tape running on the top too.

You do need to have a permanent fence 'backed up' with electric for a confirmed escapologist. Just electric fence of whatever height does not work in my experience.

Please note that electric fence is not deemed permanent fence but temporary, so if your horse escapes (and there is no boundary permanent fence) then you are liable for all damages - hope your insurance is up to date.

Last edited:

dollymix

Visit site
One of mine was like this...we had to put her in a paddock with post and rail fencing, and then out a strand of electric tape on the top.

Electric tape on it's own was no use whatsoever, but the post and rail fence was fine

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I had this problem with my stallion, wooden fencing he would push against until it broke, electric fencing he would go though, ive known him go between the bottom and the middle strand (oh, hes a 15.3 appaloosa) hes pulled the lot down, jumped out a stable, from a stand still, and he jumped the wooden fencing too...... wasn't a huge problem at the time as I lived in the middle of know where, and he is easy to catch, ...

then I moved last year, and his paddock is right next to the girls, with only a wooden fence between them, so I got those extender things (sorry cant think of the proper name) but basically they screw to the fence and hold the electric rope about 6" from the fencing, so to go through it he has to lean on it first..

wayhay... result!! we now have respect for the fence and he hasn't been through it since, he did jump the fence round the front of the house, but not since I put the electric on it...

also to add, daughters appy as a foal!! and as a yearling used to do the same, just would nip under the electic fence, I found that the energiser was not strong enough for the amount of fencing I had, so only gave a small shock.... so I ended buying a much more powerful one.... mwahahah... that did the trick ;-)