Escaped horses in road

ponyparty

Visit site
Today, in the middle of my yard move, whilst back at the old place tidying up, I had to rescue some loose horses careering down the lane.
I was just emptying my wheelbarrow when the horses in our front field suddenly spooked and were looking boggle-eyed at something on the road. I heard the patter of unshod hooves and saw horses in rugs through the hedge, moving fairly fast. I ran down to the gate and opened it and ran into the road, sending them sideways into our driveway. Good thing too, as the Yodel van coming up the lane the other way didn't look like he was stopping!
Some passers by had been trying to catch the horses but they were too wound up and wild eyed to pay any attention. I shoved them in a field before they trashed the yard and muck heap, and tried to figure out where they'd come from.
The farmers over the road knew - they knew the name of the woman who owns them, and told me that they often escape. My yard manager confirmed later that he has had to catch them before, a couple of months ago.
They have now been returned to their owner - who was less than grateful, since I decided to raise the point about the fencing. There are some lovely people out there aren't there..!

Is this normal? Does everyone else have horses that escape all the time, and I'm the weird one for having fencing that actually contains stock? Fully aware that accidents do happen, but surely this should be a once in a blue moon thing - not a regular occurrence? On our local Facebook pages, I often see the same few names mentioned with their horses having escaped onto the road; and they seem to think this is normal/acceptable.
What are the legal implications? Is there a law about keeping your horses off the road/safely contained? I assume owners would be liable for any damage or injury/accident caused by loose horses..?

Goldenstar

Visit site
You are absolutely liable for injury to third parties caused by your loose horses even if you have in no way been negligent.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Hmm, I had a problem with one of my horses escaping - he just didn't respect the fencing, and could clear it without issue. He probably got out without my knowledge about half a dozen times over about 5 years, until I gave up on unsupervised turnout all together (my god those were dull days!). He never got onto the road though as we were well out of the way. He was quite sporadic in his antics, so short of imprisoning him 24/7 (or finding another yard with turnout and suitable fencing - non-existent in the area), I had to adjust his management and create super-fenced areas, which generally worked for a good length of time.

That is, until the time the travellers* came and broke all the fencing to steal my trailer and let everything out, to gallop around the area and up and down the A road for 8 hours while I hunted them... That's the only time they made it onto social media, or seriously inconvenienced other people.

At that point, when I ran out of solutions, I moved to a new yard in a better area. I can just about sleep at night while they're out 24/7 now, which just wasn't an option before.

So I sympathise with people when stuff happens, but they really do need to address it. You can't be as cavalier about it as some repeat offenders I see on facebook, and yes, definitely liable if anything happens.

*Definitely travellers, as we recovered the trailer from one of their sites... Not racist, not prejudiced, just factual recounting of that specific incident.

zaminda

Visit site
I know someone whose horses constantly get out. As she is often drunk and uncontactable they have been known to be out for days at a time roaming around. Her fencing was bad 15 years ago and hasn't been improved on that time. Some owners just don't care.

ponyparty

Visit site
Well I've reported the incident to the police, just so it's logged and traceable to this delightful lady. I might not have bothered but for the fact she then started sending me threatening messages via Facebook. Thank goodness I've moved yards! Anyway, if they escape again it'll be on the system so if anyone reports it perhaps they can prove negligence or something. Or, more likely, nothing will happen, unless someone gets killed.

Fully appreciate horses are horses, and some are ******* for going through fencing. It's just not acceptable for them to keep getting out though. Once is an accident, twice is careless - multiple times is negligent IMO.
JTFD that's not a dig at you by the way - sounds like you did everything possible once you realised it was happening and then moved yards to avoid the problem altogether. I'd imagine this woman needs to do the same - *if* her fencing is truly as horseproof as she claims it is and they're still getting through it. I've been past there though, and frankly it looks dilapidated and not fit for purpose.

Oh well, I don't have to worry about it any more as I've moved quite some distance away - will let it be someone else's problem now! :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
we had a repeat offender in the village-she was using electric fencing as her main boundary fence and it wasn't cutting it. Her ponies used to be found just around a blind bend on a fast country B road. seems to be sorted now-its still electric but with proper posts. Fence as it was wasn't remotely pony proof.

I do now have a pony thats quite adept at opening gates and doors-its not a problem with newer gates but there's two up at the farm he can open if not also tied up. I only found out though when I found two sets of snowy hoof prints coming out of the field to their byre and then back again when they realised the byre was shut.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Fully appreciate horses are horses, and some are ******* for going through fencing. It's just not acceptable for them to keep getting out though. Once is an accident, twice is careless - multiple times is negligent IMO.
JTFD that's not a dig at you by the way - sounds like you did everything possible once you realised it was happening and then moved yards to avoid the problem altogether.

No worries, I'm not taking it personally, as in principle I agree. The fencing I had *looked* quite good, and wasn't a problem for keeping my others in (although F would panic and follow rather than be left alone). Every time it happened, I changed something in the set up, kept him in more, or tried to fix it. After the melodramatic theft incident, nothing was going to keep him in, so he was kept in if I wasn't there until we moved.