Essential viewing!

Bossdog

Visit site
I'm going to reserve judgement because I have very little knowledge of breeding and the Kennel Club, I don't really see how they solve the problem of irresponsible breeding without making these changes compulsory? And what about the BYB who don't use the Kennel Club?

On the upside, I have a lot of respect for the Bulldog breeder who has made real changes to his dogs and I hope he is rewarded for going against the fashionable bulldog look and OMG, how amazing were his puppies.... eeeeee, so squidgy!!!!!

galaxy

Visit site
Very good and interesting....

the "my cross/designer breed is healthier than your pure bred dog" club need to view it! Also people who think that papers for a dog are unnecessary may see why they are invaluable!!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Haven't watched it yet but have got the gyst of it from the dog press. I am not a huge fan of the KC but I do think they are on the right track here. I would like to see the recommended tests for Assured Breeders to become required, and more to the point, a bench mark to be set for what is satisfactory under these tests, e.g. not just ask for stock to be hip scored but set a maximum score.
As Bossdog says, this won't stop the BYB and puppy farmers who do not have KC reg dogs, but it is a start. Imo the way forward is to somehow educate the puppy buying public to research what health tests are needed for the breed they are interested in, and then to make sure they buy a pup from parents who have had good results in these tests, but not sure if that ever can be achieved.:(

galaxy

Visit site
Haven't watched it yet but have got the gyst of it from the dog press. I am not a huge fan of the KC but I do think they are on the right track here. I would like to see the recommended tests for Assured Breeders to become required, and more to the point, a bench mark to be set for what is satisfactory under these tests, e.g. not just ask for stock to be hip scored but set a maximum score.

From what I've just read on their site I think all the health tests etc ARE compulsory for the Assured Breeders Scheme.... It is the Accredited Breeders Scheme that it is not and they will just take any old person!

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/203

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The Assured and Accredited breeders schemes are the same thing. It used to be the Accredited Scheme but the name was changed to Assured. Yes it is compulsory to have certain tests but not to have a certain result, eg. as a member of the ABS I have to have my breeding stock hip scored, but they do not have to have a low score! It is hoped that anyone sign up to the scheme would not breed from dogs with high scores, but membership does not guarantee this.

galaxy

Visit site
The Assured and Accredited breeders schemes are the same thing. It used to be the Accredited Scheme but the name was changed to Assured. Yes it is compulsory to have certain tests but not to have a certain result, eg. as a member of the ABS I have to have my breeding stock hip scored, but they do not have to have a low score! It is hoped that anyone sign up to the scheme would not breed from dogs with high scores, but membership does not guarantee this.

ah I see. I hadn't heard of the new scheme before and when I went on looking for it I saw the accredited scheme talked about and assumed it was different. I always thought the accredited scheme was a waste of time.

but you're right.... there needs to be an assessment of what passes as good enough, otherwise it is pointless!