"Essential" XC kit

Horsemad12

Visit site
So watching the old Burghley vids got me wondering about how fashions change for XC "kit"

When I started doing PN over 10 years ago I was told I must have an over girth, and more people seemed to use event salve.

So what do you use now and would consider essential and what have you done away with over the years?

I still have two stoppers on my reins, boot all round, wear a stock and take the pin out for XC, always take the plaits out. Don't use an over girth.

zxp

Visit site
I've ditched the overgirth and I used to put over-reach boots on regardless of if the horse overreached whereas now, I am conscious of them stepping on them so would only use them on a horse that needs them :rolleyes:

I use to always swear by Clarendon boots :)confused:) and now I wouldnt dream of putting them on. I now use PE (aircooled) / NEW (aircooled) / Prolite.

I also now have a P2

VGM

Visit site
well i use an overgirth elasticated breastgirth air cooled boots stud girth last five plaits taken out before cross country but rest left in like you stock with no pin and two stoppers

Horsemad12

Visit site
Gosh I forgot the Clareden boots and the bandages over "porter" boots or something like that!

I still use over reach boots but have very mixed feelings about them.

squiz22

Visit site
I also used clarendons yonks ago. I just bought back and front dalmar event boots to keep his little legs cool! I think they are really good.

I use breast plate/martingale etc and I still use an over girth sometimes. Never use grease these days.

I do always use ice tight after the event though.

zxp

Visit site
Oh,that is something else which I have changed really recnetly. I used to clay and brown paper after, but now I wash down with cold water and use cooling gel as latest veterinary advice is that the evaporation (which is what cools) is hindered by clay and paper and much better with gel based products left unwrapped.

Strangely, I still have a set of clarendons... They were all I wanted when I was a teen and my parents finally bought me a set for my 16th birthday and I loved them. When I sold all my pony stuff I couldnt bear to part with them because I had wanted them so badly so I still have them. I havent used them in years and years, but I still can't bear to part with them becuase of how much I wanted them! I'm never sentimental about anything, but for some reaosn those boots were "it" when I was younger and I just cant seem to sell them even though I would never put them on a horse now!!!!

Maybe I'll ebay them this weekend... :rolleyes:

KatB

Visit site
When I was a WP we still used an Overgirth on EVERYTHING regardless of what level it was at! However, when single flapped saddles were used more, it became more difficult... I've never used one on mine!

We also used to tape the reins....

However, I am a bit slack, and other than a full set of boots (I don't use Overreaches on madam anymore, as she doesn't tuck up as neatly with them on!) I have nothing "set". I try to remember to use a grip pad under her saddle, and she normally has a V check breastplate on, and a stud girth, but that's it...!

zxp

Visit site
A friend of mine also used to wear goggles but I think we laughed at her too much because they didnt last more than one season.... :D

squiz22

Visit site
Oh,that is something else which I have changed really recnetly. I used to clay and brown paper after, but now I wash down with cold water and use cooling gel as latest veterinary advice is that the evaporation (which is what cools) is hindered by clay and paper and much better with gel based products left unwrapped.

Strangely, I still have a set of clarendons... They were all I wanted when I was a teen and my parents finally bought me a set for my 16th birthday and I loved them. When I sold all my pony stuff I couldnt bear to part with them because I had wanted them so badly so I still have them. I havent used them in years and years, but I still can't bear to part with them becuase of how much I wanted them! I'm never sentimental about anything, but for some reaosn those boots were "it" when I was younger and I just cant seem to sell them even though I would never put them on a horse now!!!!

Maybe I'll ebay them this weekend... :rolleyes:

Noo.. keep them. Thats when mine are from too and I was desperate for them - maybe we grew up during the same time then i just remember they were the ones to have.

Interesting point about the clay and brown paper bags because I still do this. Someone else has suggested cooling gel/washes type things. I may have look after I've finished the clay.. what are you using just a normal cooling gel? Funnily enough I used to use gel years ago - like 8 or so - and then the clay came into fashion and I started using that as the better option.

zxp

Visit site
Yes, there was a wonderful article floating around somewhere and there have been a few articles in the equine vet journals I seem to remember regarding gel being preferable to clay and paper - I will have a dig around and see if I can find any.

And I really did think I was the bee's-knee's in my Clarendons and PolyPads...

That is another one actually, I used to be PolyPad obsessed - now it is Anky pads as they have the coolmax lining and are really superb with my butet monoflap. Poly pads were so bulky...

VGM

Visit site
yes i had clarendons spoilt myself and had a tendon set as well we evaporating fluid on cotton bandages can't remember

squiz22

Visit site
Yes, there was a wonderful article floating around somewhere and there have been a few articles in the equine vet journals I seem to remember regarding gel being preferable to clay and paper - I will have a dig around and see if I can find any.

And I really did think I was the bee's-knee's in my Clarendons and PolyPads...

That is another one actually, I used to be PolyPad obsessed - now it is Anky pads as they have the coolmax lining and are really superb with my butet monoflap. Poly pads were so bulky...

OK I'll have a google for it.

Yes - Poly pads too! Still have mine now but as a pad for the lung roller! Happy days!

becca1305

Visit site
similar stuff to you guys really. Currently have eskadron xc boots on front and brushing boots on back but took a fall a week ago at a competition and the front boots did their job (not a mark on her despite leaving a leg), but I think its time for them to be changed after that whack so will be investing in some air cooled boots.
I use frozen leg boots instead of gel because otherwise you can guarantee she will rub it off inside her travel boots - yuk!
I use an acavello gel pad between her saddle and numnah for XC to stop numnah slipping under saddle and to absorb impact. Also use it under numnah for DR & SJ just find the sweat XC makes it slip if directly on her back sometimes.
I have never used an overgirth and have a monoflap saddle, however I was out XC schooling and one of my girth straps came off! the stitching on the material where it attached to the saddle had given out! I am now currently looking for an overgirth as I do not want that to happen again! - any recommendations for one?

:)

zxp

Visit site
OK I'll have a google for it.

Yes - Poly pads too! Still have mine now but as a pad for the lung roller! Happy days!

If you can't find it on google, let me know and I will do a PubMed search for it - I know I have read it somewhere!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I was a WP for someone REALLY old and he though Porter boots and Saratoga bandages were newfangled. ;) :D I do remember sewing the bandages on for 3DEs.

I never liked my overgirth and was happy to scrap it when a saddler explained why they really weren't necessary in the modern age. Taping reins . . .I'd forgotten about that! We also used to leave a plait behind the ears and tie/stitch the bridle to it so the rider couldn't pull it off in the event of a fall.

They clay thing is because it's an insulator so actually keeps the leg warmer than "normal", which is the opposite of what you want. We all loved the ritual of it though because it felt like you were doing your best for the horse after it had put out all that effort.

Princecharming

Visit site
I used to have Clarendon boots. I sold them on eBay, hated them! I have PE air cooled boots now and the Kevlar no turn over reach boots, that really do not turn lol. I see everyones point about over reach boots but my horse needs them.

I couldn't live without the collapsable water containers, and the buckets with lids because my horse is fussy about different tasting water so I can fill a bucket with his normal drinking water and put the lid on. And the containers I use to wash him down and then can just make them flat afterwards and they slot in my cupboard tidy lol. I use clay with the witch hazel in it when I get home over night in his stable and I don't bandage or paper, I just slap it on and leave him over night. I always travel in the magnetic boots too, don't know why, it just give me a good feeling haha!

Must haves... Supastuds studs including travel studs that go in before I set off (saves so much time) A spare spanner, and a pair of pliers! First aid kit, I just take a horse one and use it for myself. A spare lead rope, a lunge line, my horse is good to load but I've lent my lunge out so many times. A piece of my old horse's (and best friend in the world) tail. Fly spray and fly gel. I also oil all my leather whilst I'm waiting for the dressage sheets to come out. I don't have a groom and am always alone so if anyone parks next to me I apologise in advance for my piles of stuff ready to go for the next phase... And if any lurkers on here please don't steal my stuff whilst I'm not there cos I only have one lot :eek:( waaaaaaa!

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
crikey.... i can rememeber when i started eventing in PC we used to grease them to the eye balls, then put overgirths, taped boots (& yes... clarendons once i'd saved my pennys) over reach boots, taped reins, stitched in headpieces and sometimes even tied up tails, i used to love walking around the collecting ring of the XC thinking i was the bees knees in all my gear.... all the gear....no idea

gradually stopped doing most of it when i started racing (other than the overgirth)

these days eventing i just have NEW XC boots, & a stock (matchy matchy in pink) & BP on, & studs, horse doesn't even wear boots for SJ

saying that, i saw someone last weekend with grease on & my children asked why the horse had it's legs painted... cue long convo about grease!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I remember coloured grease making an appearance but just about the time people stopped using it. Someone had baby blue grease to match their xc colours!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I had one of those horrible ransome body protectors that was like wearing a giant nappy with the way it had to go through your legs.

I loved my porter boots but would never use them now as they just had a piece of plastic for tendon guards! I also had Clarendon boots for hinds.

I had a chinstrap on my hat. I took 5 years off riding and came back to it and could not get used to not having a chinstrap at first and had to replace my hat.

I had old fashioned leather boots and much prefer my zip up backs to dragging them on and off with boot hooks.

Princecharming

Visit site
I had one of those horrible ransome body protectors that was like wearing a giant nappy with the way it had to go through your legs.

I loved my porter boots but would never use them now as they just had a piece of plastic for tendon guards! I also had Clarendon boots for hinds.

I had a chinstrap on my hat. I took 5 years off riding and came back to it and could not get used to not having a chinstrap at first and had to replace my hat.

I had old fashioned leather boots and much prefer my zip up backs to dragging them on and off with boot hooks.

Ohhh a chin strap lol! I forgot about those!!

georgiegirl

Visit site
I remember being decked out head to foot in nags rags and thinking we looked awesome! I had green and black with a gold cross over it - like the jamaican flag! Boots were always taped with two rows of green tape and one row of yellow in the middle. I had one of those chinstraps with the horrible cup bit in it too. as well as a green tartan body protector with a strap that went between your legs!

Now im much more conservative. Plain navy long sleeve t shirt. plain navy hatsilk and plain old black tape for boots. as much as I wanted a new jazzy set of treehouse/miranda theobald I've changed my mind and quite like my plain understated ensemble now.
oh, and a black point two as well. Having had a nasty rotational fall in the past I think anything that can increase your chances/safety can only be a good thing - although of course these wont prevent injury in every eventuality.

Horse wears prolites all round, breastplate and a stud guard and thats about it! Autumn doesnt have front studs as I dont like them for jumping (the horses front feet naturally slip forward a bit on landing and I believe it stops the horse using its natural 'shock absorber' using front studs) but was advised by tim stockdale to use a stud guard every time we jump even without studs so thats what I do.

why is event grease going off the radar? I havent used it myself in a couple of years but to be honest anything which can help prevent an accident or help with bruising/ inflammation can only be a good thing?

taping reins also? absolutely no idea what thats all about - i must have missed that fad!

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I still use red! My mare is bright bay, and I know many people HATE red on bright bays, so I did it on purpose.... :D

Red silk
Red shirt
Red saddle cloth
Red prolite boots all-round too, we must look like a beacon as we go round!

Funny thing is, I used to be VERY conservative in my younger days, I used black, with sutble shades of dark green....

I hit 30 and it all went downhill from there....

Hahahahaha!

:D

Oh, I also had BRIGHT RED HAIR too!

:D

Jane_Lou

Visit site
At 17 I thought I was the height of sophistication in my yellow silk and blue sweatshirt, horse in porter boots and blue bandages with yellow tape...... I had an overgirth and a hunting breastplate - the worst thing ever was one of those white foam "back protectors", basically a bit of foam that you cut to size with a piece of elastic that went round your waist! My mum bought me one and insisted I wore it - I was mortified as no one else was wearing them at the time. I also dreamed of clarendon boots but never managed to actually own any before I decided they were awful things.

Last horse had NEw aircooled boots, the hunting breastplate was still in use ofter 30 odd years but the overgirth was long gone.

A couple of years back I did actually grease up a grey horse with white grease for a RC novice ODE - the reason is quite amusing, jockey was convinced horse would not get round, horse was more than capable of jumping round - I convinced jockey that if I greased her up she would just slide over the fences ;) It worked, she had the confidence that they would slide round together and jumped a lovely clear :)

georgiegirl

Visit site
hmmmm I guess....but if its put on down the front of the horses legs and is away from the tendons etc then I cant see it having much of a heating effect?

Must admit im not using it at present but I keep thinking wether I should or not. If it helps lessen a strike from a fence surely it will help lessen the blow to the horses legs thus helping prevent injury?

the only problem ive found with it before is its an absolute bugger to wash off afterwards!

whats all this taping reins people are on about? thats not something I've heard of or seen before?!