Estate Cars and Towing

Tyanilth

Visit site
Does anyone row with an estate car? If so, which ....

Saab 9-5 diesel estate, old Bayhill aluminium trailer (2 horse but I only tow 1 in it), B+E licence
Copes well, and well within car's towing capacity, but wouldn't want to have to get it off a muddy field :)

pennyturner

Visit site
Mercedes e320. 2.1 tonne towing capacity, and can get 7 people in it too. Only downside is the length of the vehicle, and being rear wheel drive, it's crap on grass.

holeymoley

Visit site
Ford Focus estate 2.0 tdi - tows downplated new single ifor 403 . Very good at its job! Been on a field with it last October time when it was dry and it was fine to get out but I'd be careful about your choice if your going on grass a lot. I tend to stick to venues and pathed forest routes.

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI - tows 1400kgs and weighs less than 2t so I'm never over the 3.5t limit and trailer never outweighs vehicle. Tows easily, 25mpg fully loaded, done 153k miles now (shedloads towing) and never let me down. Skillfully driven can manage offroad in slightly wet conditions but obvs will never match a 4x4.

about to do trailer test and upgrade to a Skoda Superb, can then tow 2t same fuel economy, same skoda reliability and longevity 8) towcar of the year 2014.

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI - tows 1400kgs and weighs less than 2t so I'm never over the 3.5t limit
That is referring to actual weights - licencing laws go on the plated weight total

If that Skoda is say 2000 GVW and the trailer is plated at more than 1500 MAM then its illegal to tow on a B licence

If the Skoda is plated at say 1950kg GVW and its towing a HB401 plated at 1600 but the trailer is never loaded to more than 1400 then its still illegal on a B licence as the MAM total is 3550 so 50 over the 3500 limit

ROG

Visit site
kerbweight approx. 1300kgs. hard to find the spec for one as old as mine.

If you mean the car then the V5 form will have the GVW listed as - max permissable weight

The trailer will have a max weight on the silver weight plate and if no plate then it will be the total of all the tyre load ratings

What trailer is it?

DanceswithCows

Visit site
well I tow loads of different trailers, but the point here is that the vehicle is capable of towing 1400kgs, and the new superb can do 2t. it won towcar of the year 2014 and my octavia's served me so well I would recommend as an estate for towing without hesitation :D

ROG

Visit site
well I tow loads of different trailers, but the point here is that the vehicle is capable of towing 1400kgs, and the new superb can do 2t. it won towcar of the year 2014 and my octavia's served me so well I would recommend as an estate for towing without hesitation :D

I was concerned that you are towing illegally on your B licence and if I am correct then you will be towing not in accordance with the licence and have no insurance as it would then be invalidated with the possibility of the vehicle being seized !!!!

Palindrome

Visit site
I was concerned that you are towing illegally on your B licence and if I am correct then you will be towing not in accordance with the licence and have no insurance as it would then be invalidated with the possibility of the vehicle being seized !!!!

Is this also true if MAM of trailer is greater than car's manufacturer recommendations? I am looking into that as want to buy a car and trailer and think a friend that has given me a lift before with his freelander and Ifor might be above the limit as Ifor is plated at 2700 kgs and freelanders seem to be limited to 2000kgs. Although friend only ever uses his trailer for 1 horse and has taken the partition out so might be OK weight wise but may be he doesn't know he needs to downplate the trailer?

ROG

Visit site
Is this also true if MAM of trailer is greater than car's manufacturer recommendations? I am looking into that as want to buy a car and trailer and think a friend that has given me a lift before with his freelander and Ifor might be above the limit as Ifor is plated at 2700 kgs and freelanders seem to be limited to 2000kgs. Although friend only ever uses his trailer for 1 horse and has taken the partition out so might be OK weight wise but may be he doesn't know he needs to downplate the trailer?

There is no law or rule which states that the plated MAM of a trailer must be within the towing capacity of a vehicle but there are plenty of internet myths which say different

Angela_1987

Visit site
Thanks everyone. What's the difference between B licence and B+E licence? My parents are selling their Audi A4 avant 1.9TDI and might be interested in it if I could tow with it. Would only be towing one 16hh horse. Weight of horse 530kg roughly ....

ROG

Visit site
Thanks everyone. What's the difference between B licence and B+E licence? My parents are selling their Audi A4 avant 1.9TDI and might be interested in it if I could tow with it. Would only be towing one 16hh horse. Weight of horse 530kg roughly ....
Those who passed car test after 1996 did not get the free B+E licence so need to take another test to get it

You can tow on a B licence but are restricted to a total MAM plated weight of 3500 kg which is the vehicle plated GVW added to the trailer plated MAM

Actual weights are of no help as licence go on the plated weights
What is the plated GVW of the Audi ? = max permissible mass on the V5 form
What is the plated MAM of the trailer ? = top weight on the silver weight plate

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
ROG - can I ask please, I passed my test in 1980, so I can drive up to a 7.5 tonne horsebox on my licence.

I have an Ifor William 505, 2 horse trailer with a unladen weight of 905KG and Gross Weight 2340KG. And will be carrying either one or two ponies at 400KG each.

What GVW would I have to have on the V5 form of a possible tow car please? Or what cars might be worth looking at?

ROG

Visit site
ROG - can I ask please, I passed my test in 1980, so I can drive up to a 7.5 tonne horsebox on my licence.

I have an Ifor William 505, 2 horse trailer with a unladen weight of 905KG and Gross Weight 2340KG. And will be carrying either one or two ponies at 400KG each.

What GVW would I have to have on the V5 form of a possible tow car please? Or what cars might be worth looking at?

I have no idea on recommendations for vehicles or trailers - I deal with licence and weight issues on the first link in my signature below where I have an Email alert set up