Ethics

Esmae

Visit site
I am in a bit of a quandary. Would you ride a horse of 27 years old that had been out of work for a long time? Horse is sound and in good order, but over weight, and vet has given cautious but clean bill of health. I'm fairly sure what I am going to do but interested in other views.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
No!
It's different riding a horse which has been in continuous work into old age but when they have been out of work, their muscles get soft and they change shape. |It will take forever to get even a hint of topline back to support the saddle in an oldie that has been out of work for some time.

This.
If the horse had stayed in work it might be different but I don't think it's entirely fair to bring a 27 year old out of retirement.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I don't think I would either. Agree with others, if the horse had been in consistent work it might be different, but I would probably be inclined to leave her be.

Esmae

Visit site
Pretty much my own thoughts. The only plus would be to help shed some weight but that can be sorted in other ways. Horse has been out of work for several years as things stand. Old people should be allowed to retire.

Esmae

Visit site
Is it not your horse?

No, I have it on loan as companion but owner would like me to ride it. At this age I don't think it's fair but was prepared to take vet's advice. Vet was more concerned about me than the horse (not sure why LOL ) Owner hasn't ridden it for a few years now.

deb_l222

Visit site
No, I would leave her be and let her continue her retirement. If she's got to 27 years old and she's a bit porky, I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Losing a few pounds isn't suddenly going to add several years onto her life.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m in a similar situation, mine actually only retired recently but is the size of a house.
I can walk in hand or long rein him but it seems to do very little, he used to have to be in quite a lot of work to look good weight wise.
Whilst I’m being as careful as I can ie, no hard feed, soaked hay, standing in for the day etc I’ve almost decided a happy fat retirement is nicer for him than if I forced him back into work or got really strict about him and prolonged a more miserable existence.

Tarragon

Visit site
I’ve almost decided a happy fat retirement is nicer for him than if I forced him back into work or got really strict about him and prolonged a more miserable existence.

I agree with this. A longer retirement but one spent feeling hungry, or forever muzzled or standing in, for most of it can't be much of a life. I would prefer a shorter and fatter one! Providing that you are managing the welfare correctly of course.

zandp

Visit site
I'm about to bring my 26 year old back into hacking work - will be walking in hand for weeks first and then walking hacks only for weeks followed by trotting every now and then a bit of canter. and that mostly in fields -I'm lucky the yard we're on has a lot of off road hacking. Winter we'll be hacking at weekends mainly I think. I've tried to retire her a few times now and she's quite obviously not ready so I'm just going to keep her hacking with no schooling instead of letting her eat grass.

eahotson

Visit site
I’m in a similar situation, mine actually only retired recently but is the size of a house.
I can walk in hand or long rein him but it seems to do very little, he used to have to be in quite a lot of work to look good weight wise.
Whilst I’m being as careful as I can ie, no hard feed, soaked hay, standing in for the day etc I’ve almost decided a happy fat retirement is nicer for him than if I forced him back into work or got really strict about him and prolonged a more miserable existence.
I so agree.Its quality as well as quantity.