Euthanasia thoughts?

Tom_Thumb

New User
Visit site
Hello

I am posting under a different name incase I get a bit of a backlash, but I wanted to gather a few thoughts about euthanasia in my circumstances.

Brief background:

Had since a kitten, now coming up to 18 years old.
Used to go outdoors, hunting etc. Now very much an indoor lap cat (his choice).
In kidney failure and heart failure for last 4 years.
Also has sore/smelly mouth due to the kidney failure.
Had 3 dentals in last 3 years (last 1 was 6 months ago).
Has the odd course of antibiotics for his mouth, and a small amount of pain relief every now and again.
drinks alot/urinates alot due to kidneys. Sometimes vomits.
Sleeps all the time, loves a cuddle. Very affectionate.
Has lost nearly 2kg in last couple of years.

Without going in to too much detail, I am potentially going travelling in 6 months on a 1-year working visa before it's too late. Something that me and husband have always wanted to do, and the timing is right for us. Dad has sold the family house, retiring and going travelling....so cat can't go back home. He is old, sick and not sure if he would settle with being re-homed to a stranger, or if anyone would even want him (also I would worry about him constantly).

Now he may deteriorate anyway over the next couple of months (has been eating a bit less recently and gone off a lot of his favourite foods) but if not.....would it be unreasonable to consider euthanasia whilst he is still relatively happy and eating a little?

I feel awful, I have always said rather too early than too late, but when it comes to your own it's really hard! I am also worried that everyone else will think I am doing it because I am going travelling :( But I love him more than anything. And he currently seems happy with his life of sleeping all day and getting lots of cuddles from me.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oh dear, you have described exactly what has happened to my little yard cat. She was 16. She went down hill very suddenly and I let her go before she suffered. 18 is a wonderful age for a cat.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Our much loved Burmese had congestive heart failure, he then became iller and was diagnosed with renal failure. He was PTS that day. I miss him like crazy, but I do not regret the decision.

So I personally feel that PTS would be the right thing for your cat, even if you were staying at home.

View

Visit site
Of course it would not be unreasonable to PTS given that he can’t go to a familiar person. I would not put a veteran through the stress of a move. We lost our beloved cat to renal failure - she deteriorated in 48 hours, we got her to a vet, got the diagnosis and she didn’t come home.

Quality of life is what matters.

Mule

Visit site
I would pts if I were in your shoes. 18 is a great age for a cat. I think it's a fair thing to do.

Tom_Thumb

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your replies so far. I got my visa approved the other day, so I am feeling extremely guilty. Although I guess in reality I may need to be considering euthanasia at some point anyway even if I wasn't moving abroad :(

He also seems to be off his food for a few days, then rallies and eats everything for a few days. Still has the odd zoomie around the house and chirps when he sees me....which makes things harder!

Shady

Visit site
PTS, definitely, he's winding down and it would be a kind and responsible thing to do. He's probably very tired and is just hanging in there really having the odd good day, it's how it goes with oldies which doesn't make it any easier.
Just before I moved here I had my wonderful old Burmese PTS , she was 18 and very frail but still up for cuddles and would potter slowly around the house. I just knew it was the best thing for her rather than wait until something failed causing her distress and pain. She was too precious to me and she went quietly and quickly , it was a good decision.
I feel your pain TT but I think it would be the kindest thing to do. xxx

limestonelil

Visit site
18 is a splendid age for a cat but it sounds like puss is winding down now. Surely no-one could criticise a decision to PTS given age and increase in symptoms of ageing. You sound like a very caring thoughtful owner TT.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's the only fair thing to do for an 18 year old cat in your situation.

paddy555

Visit site
Thank you for your replies so far. I got my visa approved the other day, so I am feeling extremely guilty. Although I guess in reality I may need to be considering euthanasia at some point anyway even if I wasn't moving abroad :(

He also seems to be off his food for a few days, then rallies and eats everything for a few days. Still has the odd zoomie around the house and chirps when he sees me....which makes things harder!

having had several old cats in similar situations I suspect he may well make the decision for you well before you go. I have found when they get to this stage they do downhill quickly and you have little warning before you need to get him to the vets. I would enjoy him for a little longer but accept next time he starts to go downhill it may have to be it. No one could possibly criticise you if you had him PTS before you went away.

SOS

Visit site
A month too early is better than a day too late.

Without sounding unemotional, he won’t have the fear of death if you take him to be PTS, when we wait for them to be collapsed or in pain, they know they are fearful of death.

I’d consider his quality of life everyday and if you ever have a doubt it’s time. Sometimes keeping a small weekly diary can help you see the slow decline of health more easily and make it easier on us humans.

Pie's mum

Visit site
It’s absolutely the right thing to do. Let him go to sleep surrounded by the people who love him before you have to make that call in a panic when he’s in pain or seriously unwell. It would be far worse to try to rehome in your situation.