euthanasia

maxapple

Visit site
i'm faced with the very sad task of having my old horse put to sleep in the next few weeks.

after making that difficult decision I now have to decide the method to be used. All i want is it to be quick and painless for him.

I know this is a very emotive subject, but i would really appreciate any experience (good or bad) to help me make the right decision.
frown.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Sorry to hear that..my preference would be injection but I don't think there is a right or wrong just what suits you. I'm sure you are about to hear horror/good stories from both sides....good luck with your decision.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
We are in almost exactly the same situation, though very sadly the horse is only 7. I have heard that the local hunt often do the best job with a humane killer; a friend has advised that if they are given an injection by the vet they will often fight against unconsciousness as they go down, which would be horrid. Someone at our livery had to have her horse PTS and asked the local hunt to do it : the guy who came over took a bucket of feed into the field and talked quietly to the horse as it ate, so it knew nothing at all and had not a moment of fear or anxiety... We too have to make this decision in a week or so, so will be interested to see what other people's experience has been ...
frown.gif

jojoebony

Visit site
My mare was put to sleep last November. I was very upset at the thought of it being done with a gun, however, she had issues with injections and it just wouldn't have been an option.
I stayed with her when it was done and it was so quick I really dont think she had any idea what was happening.
It was brutal in my opinion and I have to live with the fact that I had her shot, but I would do it the same for the next one, even if I have a choice.
Not so nice for me, but definitely the best option for Ebony, RIP.

GTs

Visit site
I have seen many horses put down via injection - it is not always like they go off to sleep quietly, however they are unaware very quickly. The worst one was the horse I put down, it reared up and over, it was out before it came crashing down, all I can say is I am pleased the owners were not there.

Tia

Visit site
Horrible decision to have to make, and then to be faced with how to do it must be difficult for you.

I have always had my horses shot. For me, yes it isn't the nicest way for us humans to have to watch, however every time it has been so instantaneous that I know it is the best way for the horse.

This decision is a very personal one and although we have often had this discussion on here in the past, and I have always said that my preference is the gun, I have to say that what comes across as more important perhaps than which method you choose to use.....is that YOU are there with them at the end. So whichever way you choose, it probably isn't nearly so important as you being the last person they see and your soothing words are the last thing they hear.

Both can be traumatic to be frank. The gun shocks you more than anything else but it is instant. The injection is quiet but often the horse doesn't drift off quite so quickly as you expect.

I wish you all the strength in the world and whatever decision you take will be the right one.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Am very sorry that this has been a decision you have had to make. I had to have my horse put to sleep last year and he had the injection. I didnt have much choice really but i would make the same decision again. I have also held two of my friends horses whilst they were pts with injection. It was very quick and peaceful. I have had no experience of the horse fighting or thrashing about. They just fell straight to the floor and then it was over in a matter of seconds. Having seen it a few times i would say the horse had no idea what was happening and didnt feel any pain.

fizzer

Visit site
how sad for you, i think it is a personal thing, but i have always had mine pts with injection and have never had a problem. i would never shoot my dog or cat and thats how i few my choice.

_Jazz_

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, such a difficult decision to make*hug*
My 2 elderlies both went by injection. I'll say the following just in case you are not aware. P had colic (lipoma) thus was dehydrated and his circulation was compromised so it did take longer for him to go, by this I mean 30 seconds or so. The decision was made for my horse M , her circulation etc was fine, before the syringe was empty, she dropped, instant, I couldn't have wished for a more peaceful end. M didn't like needles so we ensured a CATHETER was placed correctly first(In caps. because I really have more faith this way) and we avoided pre euthanase SEDATION as this is something that MAY up the chance of the horse 'fighting' it ie crashing into fences etc.
I hope I haven't been too graphic, just offering a couple of thoughts.
x

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I had to have my mare PTS in 2005 and opted for injection which turned out to be a nightmare, vet said he would inject her and she would take deep breaths then go down, she took the breaths and went down and fought as though a monster was attacking her, she only calmed down when I grabbed her head and spoke to her and she relaxed her heart stopped and she died in my arms, I really doubt she was unconcious due to her reaction to my voice and it was a truly terrible end to a 21 year long friend and something which haunts me still. I also had the awful task of having my hubbies mare PTS after she broke her knee and she was PTS with a humane killer, it was over in seconds and thats what I believe I would opt for when I have to, hopefully not for a long time, think about it again.
My heart goes out to you completly it's not an easy decision but it will be the right one. x

Chills

Visit site
So sorry to hear that you are having to make a very brave decision. I very sadly had my lovely 12 year old lad pts on Xmas eve just gone. When it came to it I decided to have the injection and I am very, very glad I did. We took him out to a quiet field where he had a graze. The vet put a catheter in his neck to ensure that the stuff would go straight into his system, he was to have two syringes. He put the first one in whilst I held him and talked to him. The vet then took over for the second one and he told me it would be fairly quick that he would go down to the ground. Well my lad was looking into the distance with his ears pricked forward and that is how he went down. I have to say I was able to go straight back to him and hold his head until he had completely gone. It was more peaceful than I could have hoped for, which made an extremely sad and horrible time easier to cope with.
To be honest, if you have a good vet and you trust him/her completely to do a good job then go with that. Also if your horse is calm when it is being carried out you have far less chance of them fighting it or flayling about.
Good luck whatever you decide, hugs to you xx

dozzie

Visit site
I had to have my old pony put down last year. we chose a lovely spot in her field and she was put down by injection. The vet didnt even suggest anything else- I think he preferred it if possible. It was traumatic but only when she was falling to the ground. Otherwise it was a very quiet and peaceful way to go. However I had to pay for her to be cremated as it was not possible to bury her. The local hunt did this for me. I'd definitely use injection again. Luckily it was a lovely day and this helped.
Make sure youve got lots of photos for memories. Best Wishes.

Law

Visit site
Chilly- that recollection really hit a nerve with me- that is similar to how I let my old horse go.
Personally I would opt for the injection but it's down to your personal choice. My horse was PTS by injection and it was fine, peaceful and without complications.

Thinking of you and hugs for when the time comes

angela24

Visit site
My laddo was PTS a couple of weeks ago, by lethal injection. My vet heavily sedated him first he lay down on his own and then slipped away. My mare before him was PTS in exactly the same way and she chose to lie down too. I had them both cremated.

It is a decision that only you can make, knowing your own horse. Big hugs and i genuinely hope it all goes smoothly whatever you decide.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I am sorry you are faced with this decision, and can offer you my own experiences.
We have used the bolt, the gun, injection and sending to an abbatoir.
Our vet has almost perfected his technique re the injection, and it is so peaceful when done correctly.
The horse needs to be sedated to almost the point where he would be unaware that another injection is going in. They then have a bigger dose of anaesthetic, crumple to the ground and lie flat. They breathe a bit heavier in some cases, and in some old horses their veins are collapsed due to age and it may take more stuff as the blood flows slower, but the vet usually administers that if needed very quickly.
Within a couple of minutes it is over peacefully and without any stress on the horse at all. If you compare it to how you feel when you have a general in hospital you know nothing about it do you?
We stopped using the stunner or gun except for cases where it was not possible, as I read that the brain stayed alive for several minutes after that. I found that hard to believe as they literally drop with a massive bang in a flash, but if it were me I would opt for an injection if I had to die.
We have on average a horse a year pts here, and I must have seen perhaps 20 die over the years.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind when a sedative is given first they know b all about it..
I have heard a few stories on here about injections going wrong but it's never happened to us, the worst we had was a mre with lots of adrenilin roaring round her body due to something else that needed two injections, but that wasn't her getting up again, more not dying.
The best of luck, I always find the night before the worst time, but if your horse's quality of life is not what you would wish for it, go ahead with a clear concience.

Chex

Visit site
Its a decision I dread having to make one day
frown.gif
Think I'd go for injection though, but I have a feeling its because I'm being selfish. I would have to be with him, couldn't leave him to go through that alone, but I just don't think I could deal with the gun
frown.gif
A pony at the yard was recently pts with injection, apparently it was peaceful. Its the bit afer they've gone which I dread more - the removal
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Horseymum

Visit site
My mare was pts by injection last November after her one and only bout of colic. My Vet would only do it by injection but explained everything to me and was professional and compassionate beyond comprehension. He asked me to leave the stable as soon as he had put the drugs through the catheter in case she fell on me but it was very peaceful and dignified. I too had heard horror stories about the injection but in my case it all went very smoothly. Fortunately my YO told me he would deal with everything when she was taken away so I left the yard as soon as the Vet had gone. Do whatever you think will be best for you and your horse.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
everyone has their own method for dealing with this, some hate guns, some hate euth.

Personally I prefer to fill them to the brim with food, get them sedated so they are well out of it and dont know whats going on, chilled.....and dozy, then the bullet.

I had to have a very lively pony put down last year, I have no regrets having had one done with just euth suffer for ages because it took so long to work, but that is just down to individuals choice and also which vet you get....

Gun is quicker and more "instant" but I do believe that sedative should be used first, no animal should be aware that the gun is there.....

Other people swear by euth and have had quick and painless experiences with that too.

Also, try and find someone who can be with the horse for the final minutes of the deed, if you cannot cope with it and it may be nicer to remember the horse as it was.........

Again, personal choice, i prefer to be with them til the end but it is not for everyone, and if they are sedated they are not going to know who is there.

Good luck with whatever you choose. x

mandy4727

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Yes it is a very difficult decision and you will know when it is right. I owned both my ponies for 27 years and knew one day the time would come. I lost Margo first on the 8th Jan 06. She had heart failure and the last 2 days of her life I just knew I couldn't keep her like that. That was worse knowing I had made the decision and to wait a day for the vet to come. Hopeing she would come back to normal. But she didn't. I chose the injection. Margo was led to the sand paddock. The vet told me to talk to her and stroke her etc etc. Which I did. As the time came for her to fall he told he would have hold of the head collar and lead rope and pulled all his weight against so she fell gently if that made sense. As the drug relied on her heart pumping it round he did advise that she may shudder once down, but she didn't. Both my self and my daughter held her as she went. My second pony was Jan this year 3 weeks ago. He had gone down in the doorway to his stable and was trying like mad to get up but couldn't so was getting very upset as we were. But his legs just wouldn't seem to co ordinate and make him stand up. He had a heart rate of 120 and the vet said he had liver failure and wouldn't and couldn't do anything about it. He was 40. She injected him with 1 injection and it didn't make any difference. I am sure she must have known it was going to be difficult with him as he was such a fighter as she sedated him first and reassured me that he did not know what was going on. He didn't try to get up or anything. It took a total of 4 injections before he went. And must have taken half an hour. The vet kept apologising saying this doesn't normally happen and he must have the heart of a lion and in the end horrid I know we were willing him to go to end it. Had them both cremated and am going to scatter their ashes together so they can both rest in peace together.

alisonpook

Visit site
I am sorry to hear of your situation . Whilst I appreciate that there are merits to all methods I would just like to say that I have had the sad experience of being with a friend this afternoon whilst she had her cherished mare of 27 put to sleep. The vet gave her a pain killing injection to allow her to have a last 10 minutes out on a headcollar and leadrope nibbling the grass in her usual paddock and then with the sun on her back and with her ears pricked looking across the fields he quietly injected her and she went very quietly and peacefully to sleep. My friend was allowed to hold her until halfwy through the injection and then the vet took over for safety reasons holding her head to help guide her to the floor. His advice had been to try and keep the routine as normal as possible and using this method she stayed calm and relaxed throughout.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have been with two whilst PTS by injection. Both went extremely peacefully, thank heavens, and for both it was time to go. I am dreading my next goodbye and these posts break my heart to read. I wish you strength and courage and a peaceful departure for your beloved friend.

Mandy, hope the trauma and shock is fading a little and I'm still sure you did the right thing. b.

annaellie

Visit site
I have had two horses pts one by gun and one by injection I was always against injection but had my 17.2 pts by it he just went down no fuss and looked so peaceful, i stayed with him, my mare who had the gun i could not tell you what is was like as i left yard as they came but yo said it was all over very quickly.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Firstly I am very sorry that you have to make this decision. I have had two of mine pts and they were both shot by the hunt.

Went as they should - stuffed full of their favorite food - gave them buckets of the stuff, then the huntsman spent time getting them used to him, feeding mints etc. They finally went with their ears forward and totally relaxed - in the field.

I have to confess that when he was ready, I stood in front with my back to them but my hand held out on their nose.

As soon as I heard the shot I walked away and did not look back. My OH assured me that they were dead before they fell - he checked them instantly for an eye reaction and there was none.

For me once you are dead, there is nothing left but flesh, so mine went to the hounds. I do have a piece of mane from them all which I have plaited and put on a picture frame of them as a keepsake.

maxapple

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for the thoughtful & kind way you have shared your stories with me.

It is almost impossible knowing what to do. i have heard so many awful stories about injections but the messages above have made me feel so much better about this option. My vet has been wonderful & which ever method is used they sedate the horse first.

My husband has said he would stay with my boy at the very end as i just don't think i will be able to
frown.gif

The idea of keeping a little lock of hair from his tail is such a lovely one that i wouldn't have thought of. I

In some ways i know i am lucky to have time to plan & to have time to say goodbye properly. I just wish i could wave a magic wand so i didn't have to
frown.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am so sorry maxapple that you have to do this, it must be so hard, i dread the day i have to go through this with my mare. Its really brought a tear to my eye reading peoples stories, i am sure you will do the best on the day for your wonderful horse, and i wish you to have a peaceful scenario for your horse which ever one it may be.
For me personally it would go for the injection, with sedative first, i could not bare the idea of a gun for some reason, even though its obviously a good method for the horse, i just couldnt
all the best xxx

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I have posted previously about my experiences but thought id just add some more thoughts. I also got my vet to take one of simons shoes off for me to keep. I am not sure what your thoughts are on what to do with your pony after? I know... sorry its a horrible thing to have to think about
frown.gif
I had Simon cremated and then his ashes were buried at Leyland Pet cemetry. He has a proper grave that i can visit whenever i want. I know this is not everyones cup of tea but it works for me. I loved going to the farm to see Simon, especially if id had a bad day and i can still go and see him. It costs a bit of money but they will make arrangements with your vet to be ready at your farm to collect them straight away. Some insurance companies help towards disposal costs. You do not have to do anything and they really do treat your pony with such respect. Like i said people have different opinions on death and disposal but it really works for me and helps with the healing afterwards.

filly190

Visit site
I have only had one horse pts and that was by the gun. It was quick and painless. I have an old mare and I do think about these issues when the time comes and dread the day. I am currently nursing a sick dog and will have to take her anyday to the vets and have sat here crying reading the posts.

It is not an easy thing to do and as we are all animal lovers we all care so very much on doing the right thing, most importantly avoiding the animals distress.

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
ALll i will add before reading the rest of the post, is that excpet for young foals the CAPTIVE BOLT IS INHUMANE and shoud not be used as a sole method of euthansia unless they are to be bled out which i cant he horse owners doing, it should be a free bullest softnosed bullet that expands inside the brain, a CAPTIVE BOLT is just that a bolt, a metal nail in the head designed to render an animal unconsious, NOT DEAD, please explain that you are mistakenwhen saying THE CAPTIVE BOLT, or someone is doing something very wrong and inhumane, I AM NOT against horses being euthanised by bullet, though personally for asthetic reasons i chose injection and went well, but please please tell me people are not usingcaptive bolts out there,yes i have the right to preach my dad has a captive bolt for road kill and also a free bullet gun, when i mentioned to him people where on about having horses euthnsed by captive bolt he was less than impressed.

Patches

Visit site
Never had a horse euthanised but all of our cows that go as casualty cases are euthanised with a captive bolt. We've never had any cows not die instantly.

After the bolt is used a pithing wire is inserted into the hole along the brain stem and into the spinal column. This is supposed to make 100% certain there is no brain activity. It's quick, clean and seems painless....in that the cow just drops instantly.