Euthanasia .

AshTay

Visit site
I think in cases like this, each horse is different. I made the opposite choice to the new livery and I am not sure it was the right one.

With my mare it again behavioral, rather than physical, issues which became limiting. I stopped competing, I stopped hacking out in company, I stopped enjoying riding and eventually she became a paddock ornament. She spent years in the field and in this time I spent thousands on vet bills because she'd constantly injure herself and she was subject to so many insurance exclusions. I still had to stress about feed, teeth, feet, worming, etc.

Physically she was fine and because there was no clear cut reason to put her down, I didn't. I couldn't justify it and despite her disastrous personality, I really loved that horse.

I hardly rode at all in the last few years and I missed it terribly. Eventually my mare had the inevitable catastrophic injury and after she went, I felt so lost. It suddenly felt as though I'd wasted so many years. I'd lost touch with the horse world, I was out of it. It's actually really hard to go back to riding when you've been out of the loop for so long.

It's been nearly a year now, I've only ridden once in that time. My position was rubbish, I was less confident, my muscles ached the next day. To be honest, I felt like I didn't really belong. For a child who grew up only feeling truly at home in the saddle, who dreamed of riding at Olympia and was convinced she'd never "out grow" horses, it's really sad.

I feel for you. x
I have a field ornament who is such because of behavioural issues. I am very lucky that I can also afford my fab little ridden mare to keep me sane.
Don't give up - find a riding school or a share. Everyone's muscles ache if they've not ridden for a few days. You only need to feel you belong with yourself and the horse. Please try again. x

Sukistokes2

Visit site
There is one doing the rounds now. I am sure the owner is genuine, but this horse could easily fall into the wrong hands. Very sad. :(

https://www.facebook.com/jemma.turnock/posts/10153662948191355?pnref=story

This makes me sad, how can people pass on their problems. I'm facing the same choice soon if my little lad doesn't pick up, I have already said he will be pts, he would not do well retired at six! It hurts to think about it but I have the support of my vet and that really helps. I am doing everything to improve the prognosis so fingers crossed.

As for the new livery good for her.......respect!

R_Owen

Visit site
Kinder in so many ways!

Totally support...

1) she didn't pass it on
2) she didn't try and get a few quid back for it
3) she guaranteed it's future (no harm would become of it)
4) some horses don't want to be field ornaments
5) she put it to sleep humanely and paid for that too, not the cheapest option
6) it is no-one elses business

I would far rather see a cherished horse PTS than passed on with problems or sold because the owner can't face actually doing the right thing or be bothered to pay. How dare people judge her poor woman!

Maybe ask the people slating her to put their hands in their pocket if they are so concerned and they can pay for it to stand out in a field and be bored senseless!

This ^^^^

I completley agree with her. She did the best that she could for the horse under her circumstances.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Completely agree with her.

She made the best choice for her and her horse.

I've just lost one, will be probably be losing another next week if his symptoms get their act together and present. He could he treated but would for the rest if his, retired, life have to.have meds and be manged which I will.not do to him or me. It's not fair

I'm afraid I would have told a porkie since no-one would know the horse, or the owner's circumstances, and say it had terminal cancer, hence PTS. I've seen plenty of horses and ponies dragging themselves along when they were well past their best before date. Much more cruel than a painless and swift end IMO.

applecart14

Visit site
A new livery has moved onto the yard and is being slated by some liveries for having put a horse down for no reason. I have personally spoken to this livery and she explained what actually happened- horse had long term health issues which were expensive to treat, horse was unlikely to make a full recovery but would be a field ornament. Owner could not afford a second horse to ride, and had realised she missed riding, horse could not be sold/ loaned because of medical and behavioural issues. So the decision was made to PTS.
While I understand where she is coming from I am not sure if I completely agree

is this ok? Discuss.

No one elses business but hers. Depends on how well she gelled with the horse she had pts, and the behavioural issues of the horse, which would be of more concern to me that the medical issues that would be relatively easy to treat with painkillers.

Many people are put in the unenviable position time and time again and its up to each owner I suppose how they react.

Personally I would not get rid of my horse because I could not ride anymore although I couldn't afford to keep two. But then its easy to say that when you are not in that position. Until it happens to you, you just don't know.

applecart14

Visit site
Why is this sad. Why poor boy??? Just because a horse has navicular doesn't mean to say it should be put down or given up on, chucked out in a field and conveniently labelled 'retirement'. That's what I can't get my head around. 17 is not old for a horse these days. Each horse is different. If the horse has a good quality of life, enjoys the time it is ridden, the vet is willing to continue whatever treatment the horse is undergoing at the time then what is the issue? We are such a throw away society these days, and yet some people are willing to spend the time and money treating horses.

This particular advert looks genuine. The owner has stated the horses limitations, she has not tried to sell him off as a horse suitable for any discipline. The owner sounds like she has his best interests at heart.

My horse has had lots of problems, over the years, 2nd degee heart block, coffin joint arthritis, suspensory branch injury, colics, bone spavin, bone chip to inside stifle, tendon sheath efusion to name but a few, but they are all treatable and all fixable. Yes it costs me huge amounts of money but I have only the one horse so cannot get another and wouldn't want to anyway. It is up to each owner what they do with their horse surely?

Most people woudl have given up on my horse years ago. But I have the time and money to dedicate to him, I totally love him to bits and so long as the vet, physio and farrier are still happy to continue then I will continue for as long as he is happy and content.

MissMoo

Visit site
Kinder in so many ways!

Totally support...

1) she didn't pass it on
2) she didn't try and get a few quid back for it
3) she guaranteed it's future (no harm would become of it)
4) some horses don't want to be field ornaments
5) she put it to sleep humanely and paid for that too, not the cheapest option
6) it is no-one elses business

I would far rather see a cherished horse PTS than passed on with problems or sold because the owner can't face actually doing the right thing or be bothered to pay. How dare people judge her poor woman!

Maybe ask the people slating her to put their hands in their pocket if they are so concerned and they can pay for it to stand out in a field and be bored senseless!

My sentiments entirely! I was lucky enough to be in the position where I could keep my old retired girl (for many happy years!) and purchase a second horse but do appreciate I was incredibly lucky. In different circumstances I may well have had to have taken the decision to haver her PTS, she wasn't the most of straightforward of horses and I would never have forgive myself is she ended up in the wrong hands.

Stockers

Visit site
*they* need us to make these decisions for them. Whatever the reasons, she has guaranteed that he won't suffer. Sometimes those reasons are as basic as a lack of funds.

I called time on on my big lump of an ID in Oct '09. He was 18 but had been ruined physically by 8 due to over production for the show ring far too early in life. Not by me. Whilst he looked well he has SI issues and was stiff. I jsut knew he wouldn't go through the winter without suffering. My fear was that he would go down and not be able to get up.

So he had a lovely time in the field thorugh a mild autumn and was euthnaised on Oct 23rd before the cold weather set in. I got some flack. Really helpful suggestion like 'can he not go as a companion?' Who'd want 17.3 high maintenance giant as a companion? Retirement liverly? No - he had spavins, sidebone and other arthritic changes and was uncomfortable for prolonged periods in cold wet conditions.

I don't belive in prolonging life for the sake of it.

I have a horse because I ride. If the ridden career comes to an end and or is severely limited and they cannot be re-homed responsibly - my current horse would never tolerate retirement livery at grass he likes and needs to work - I have no qualms about euthanaising. For me, a horse is not a pet - they are too big and expensive and I am not Lady-Many-Acres with limiless pasture nor funds to keep unridable horses for years at a time.

applecart14

Visit site
*I have a horse because I ride. For me, a horse is not a pet - they are too big and expensive and I am not Lady-Many-Acres with limiless pasture nor funds to keep unridable horses for years at a time.

I agree with this so much and yet I don't think I could call time on my boy if I could not ride him anymore as I've had him nearly 12 years, previous to this lost four very precious horses in short sucession and have battled with this one over so many health issues over so many years (with great sucess I might add) that I would have to think long and hard about PTS as he is so very precious to me.

But you don't really know what you would do unless you are in that situation and some people are not never ending money pits, I for one am not. Nor do I have lots of acres to 'retire' and I know as the vet has said that if he was just thrown out into the field he would 'fall apart' anyway. I would always be guided by my vet.

Stockers

Visit site
Quite applecart14 - it really isn;t easy and this is a very emotive issue as you know having lost four horses. If you feel you can keep an unrideable horse and he's happy then good for you. :). I'd never criticise that stance - it's very selfless. My opnion is just that.

applecart14

Visit site
Quite applecart14 - it really isn;t easy and this is a very emotive issue as you know having lost four horses. If you feel you can keep an unrideable horse and he's happy then good for you. :). I'd never criticise that stance - it's very selfless. My opnion is just that.

Mine weren't lost due to me deciding to PTS. The decision in three cases was taken out of my hands. The other died himself, i.e with no human intervention (heart attack). :(

Difficult one I know.