Event horse

pokerface

Visit site
I need help!!!... I can not find anything in the south east, have a good budget of £20 000 5-7 gelding.16 1- 17 1, horses I have looked at r not worth the money, one made a noise, one needed remedial shoeing, or bad conformation, happy to have something that's jumped newcomers and owner think s it's more of an event horse, don't really want to go to a dealer, but thinking of vere phillips( couple of people warned me off him)as can't seem to find anything in the south! Anything that's been pre novice seems to not even sj clear so thinking of going along show jumper route, billy horses too sharp. Would just like something honest, light in the mouth, forward thinking, correct conformation, I'm an amateur so don't really want to buy from an eventing pro, I just can't seem to find something in the south :(

jasmine04

Visit site
Have you had a look at Sharon Hunt's website? She has been doing a lot of SJ lately and I know she's not in the South East but she might have something nice :)

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Sharon Hunt is definitely worth a call as she'll know Loughnatousa horses that would fit the bill even if she doesn't have one in. Also noticed Serena McGregor (nee Russell) has quite a smart looking one on Horsequest (was tempted myself but I have managed to knacker my ankle for a few months) by Harlequin Du Carel; nice record and 20k I think.

Last edited:

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Personally, if I'm spending 20k I'd rather spend a bit more fuel money and take more time to find the right horse, but I guess it depends where you draw the line. Having lived in Australia I wouldn't think twice about driving across little old England if I thought the horse was really worth it..

ihatework

Visit site
Agree with DollyPentreath.
With the budget you have for the horse you want you might need to travel.
You'd think it would be easy to buy a horse for 20k, but it's not, all horses come with a compromise!!

I have close connections to one for sale at the moment around your budget. 18 points, 7yo. He's not perfect though and a bit out of your area. Happy to fill you in on his strengths and weaknesses if interested.

Llee94

Visit site
I know you want to stay local but I would recommend looking on the Goresbridge website. If you have got that amount of money to spend, it is worth travelling! They have a going for gold sale coming up soon which is specifically for up and coming event horses and loads of well know horses have come from there.

onemoretime

Visit site
I know just how you feel OP I have started looking since the death of my young horse 5 weeks ago and I cant find what I am looking for. There are so many mares and I want a gelding, most of the horses I see are too big I only want around 15.3/16h. When you don't need a new horse there are loads around that certainly sound good on paper, I cant even find that. Good luck with your search and as others have said Ireland is a good place to look.

IncaCola

Visit site
Hi, I have a horse that might suit 16.2hh dark bay gelding by primitive Proposal 7 yrs. He is green for his age as only been backed a year through no fault of his own, breeder (who still owns him) just never had the time. Has done abit of everything this year including one baby event and he is a natural cross country. He defintely has the potential to be a top class horse and has a fantastic attitude as well as paces and jump. easy ride but needs someone balanced and experienced if only to sit to his jump! Search for photos of Mulberry on https://www.facebook.com/SWEventing. He is well within your budget although not cheap as price reflects potential and anyway i am very ahppy to keep this one a while longer. However if you like the look of him, facebook message or email me at info@sweventing.com and i will send you links to videos:) PS i am in Newent gloucestershire

Llee94

Visit site
There is also MGH Sport Horses run by Lucy Wiegersma and Padraig McCarthy. I see them out competing all the time in Devon and their horses are always stunning and very well produced. http://www.mghsporthorses.com/
They have a gorgeous grey in at the moment (MGH Cruisardo Street) who I would take in a heartbeat if I could afford him!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't know who warned you off Vere Phillipps but I am a very happy customer.

My horse was not perfect (a long way from!), but Vere was very honest (to a fault) about his issues, and there were loads to look at. I know two other very happy customers too, all three amateurs competing happily.

Edited to say....... my husband and I are now chuckling to ourselves at just how honest Vere was, and how that is refreshing. He has also been massively supportive while we have created our own new horse/human life together, even though I have been somewhat unconventional in my approach.

My husband is thinking of buying another after the sad loss of Charlie 3 1/2 years ago, and we have emailed Vere even though I don't suppose he often sells horses suitable for retired prop forwards!

Last edited:

kassieg

Visit site
Having just been through the goresbridge go for gold catalogue I can say there are some bloody nice horses !

some with a lot of tb blood & others with less but still lovely! although not so much my type but definitely talented

there are a good few I like the look of

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Friend of mine has just bought a nice 7yo with a good record SJ at Foxhunter for less than £10k. Just been properly 5 stage vetted with x rays and has passed... fab temperament and they XC schooled it too before purchasing, proved itself to be bold and easy. They are out there!

Darremi

Visit site
I am surprised that you are doing such a narrow geographical search. No wonder you are having problems finding the right horse. You need to look further afield no doubt.

I am based in Scotland and there so used to travelling far to buy horses. My most recent two came respectively from Kent and Kilkenny, IRE!

As a low level amateur rider you probably want to steer clear of professional yards. Obviously I am generalising but it can be difficult to take on a horse from a strong pro who has trained the horse to expect a lot of support which an amateur cannot give.

And also be careful with buying a sj'er for eventing as they can be chicken, especially if they are a bit older and have developed bad habits. Best to go for something a bit cheaper and younger that you can mould into whatever you require.

Get on horsequest and start travelling!

Luci07

Visit site
It doesn't matter how much money you have, it's always hard!

I honestly can't work out the market at the moment either!

Don't turn away from a professionally produced horse though. My YO is a pro eventer and buys and produces on young horses. If you like the way someone rides then worth a look although I would tend to steer clear of a horse produced on by a man (personal preference) as found those horses just seem to need more leg than I have!

noname

Visit site
Buying horses in England is so hard, there is a lot of expensive rubbish. People are holding on to good horses aswell. I had a really low budget so ended up buying in Germany.

Emily lewellyn is advertising some nice horses at your budget, Georgie spence also had one jumping 1.10-1.20 for 8.5k. It's just a ball ache weeding through all the rubbish ones.

Might be quicker just to hop on the plane to Germany / europe and view 5-6 in a weekend.

X

xspiralx

A friend of mine is selling one that would suit you for less than half your budget.

16.1 6yr old, jumped newcomers and lots of scope but they think more of an event type! has done a 90 and went double clear with a 33 dressage. Very pretty horse - based in Chobham, Surrey.

Happy to give you contact details if you're interested.

smac

Visit site
I know a guy in Hampshire who has sold some v.smart horses , he sj them and they are both now competing at higher levels on eventing.

One of the horses was a pauldary horse, he has some very nice horses in at the moment, majority are homebred or still owned by stud & unspoilt

icestationzebra

Visit site
Definitely widen your search area - you are discounting super horses that will fit the bill by being unwilling to travel. You can gather lots of information, check records and watch videos to minimise the risks of wasting your time but sometimes you just have to invest the time. I travelled over 300 miles to see my horse -we made a weekend of it and I rode the horse twice. Yes it cost me some money but I don't regret it for a second as he is amazing. However I was very lucky to know someone in the area whose opinion I respect that went and rode him for me before we travelled. If you find one at the other end of the country that sounds as though it might fit the bill why not see if you have a contact in the area who could take a look?

popsdosh

Visit site
I totally agree with the above. you cannot expect horses in that budget to come to you .
If you had travelled up to Osberton this weekend they held a showcase sale of several of the horses in the KBIS finals you could have seen loads in the same place.

justine1559

Visit site
Hi, about a year ago I started looking for something similar though unproven and a 4 or 5 year old to go at least intermediate. I was open to travelling anywhere as I think with such an important purchase and a good budget it's worth it. I actually ended up going to Ireland in January having decided to use an agent out there - he was personally recommended to me and I have seen a number of horses he's sourced that have gone 3* so I had absolute confidence in him. It was a fantastic experience and the quality of all the horses I saw was superb and completely in line with my brief. I flew out to Dublin first thing in the morning, saw 6 horses in a day and was back home in the evening. I found a wonderful horse out there who is proving to be even better than I hoped and the whole process was seamless.

I'd be really happy to go into details, so do feel free to PM me but whatever you decide I would really broaden your search area.

Good luck.