Event stallion suggestions for my mare please...

natw

New User
Visit site
I’d really appreciate some event stallion recommendations. I was going to breed from my mare Coral next year, but she’s picked up an injury which means walking only for a while, so I’ve decided to bring forward plans if I can. I’d like to breed an event type – with luck something capable of Pre-Novice BE, but also BD to Elementary... I’m not trying to breed a superstar, just something to be my next horse :). My mare’s a compact 16h ¾ warmblood ¼ TB by the SJ stallion Cor de Camus.

Her positives are that she has lovely swingy paces, good conformation and a has careful(-ish) jump. Downsides are that she’s not forward thinking and has a quirky (although manageable) temperament. So I’m looking for a stallion with good paces/jump, who’s definitely forward thinking and has a reputation for passing on an excellent temperament. I’m not that big, so don’t mind if this first foal is on the small side, but ideally wouldn’t want something less than 15.3h. So I was looking for stallions at around the 16h mark or above. Oh, and I’d rather not have another chestnut :) I was thinking something mostly TB or a Trakehner might be the way to go, but any suggestions would be great! Here’s a picture of the mare if that helps. She's not looking her best thanks to her time off, but you get the idea. Thanks very much!

4652330941_3314091e5d.jpg

millitiger

Visit site
no suggestions for stallions but i would be very, very careful about choosing a stallion with very good lower limbs and a strong hindleg.

natw

New User
Visit site
um, thanks for the comments but can you tell me what's particularly bad about it? All the people who've seen her in the flesh have said what a nicely put together mare she is. Perhaps I haven't made her stand up properly?

Bearskin

Visit site
I think she looks very nice. Not back at the knee, enough bone and well formed hocks. Not sure about the front feet as the boots cover them. Obviously, as she has been box rested, she does not carry a lot of muscle. Conformation pics can be very misleading. You can take two pics of the same horse, from different angles and in different light and observers would give a completely different critique to both photos.

Regarding stallion choice, have you considered Wish Upon A Star? Wrong colour but ticks all your other boxes. Or Future Illusion or Kings Composer.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
you could press the fast forward button and go buy a 3 or 4 year old of the right size color confo breeding temp and save a fortune!! and actually get something you like! (yes i know all foals are beautiful and fun, but many turn into 4 year olds you really wouldnt want!!)

stolensilver

Visit site
How about going to Grafham Stud's youngstock sale later this year? That way you'll know what you are getting and it will have top eventing blood.

FWIW I agree with the posters querying whether your mare would be a good gamble to breed from. From what you post she's had an injury so is out of work and from the photo her conformation does tend to lean towards predisposition to injury (long pasterns in front, short humerus and rather upright shoulder, straight hock with long sloping pasterns behind) I hope that isn't upsetting but I'd be worried about breeding from her for fear of passing on whatever has led to her going lame.

On the big plus side buying a youngster is much cheaper than breeding one and you would be guaranteed the right colour and sex and have a better chance of getting one that was the right size.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
but if you still want to breed .....another 5 years til foal is nearly 4. primitive proposal, future illusion, chilli morning jumbo you have a huge huge choice! and how quirky is she? and what are her quirks???

gadetra

Visit site
Sorry but maybe it's the angle of the photo but she looks quite straight behind (on the hindleg) but again it could be the angle of the photo.
I'd reccomend and ISh-the Irish Draught in it would give her stronger hocks and maybe a less upright shoulder - not that she's too straight but I find some warmbloods can be more upright than traditional eventing types and stand up to a bit more work as they don't get so jarred up. The Tb component in the ISH should also correct this but may affect the hindlegs (they tend to be quite straight behind) but an ISH with RID blood should correct this.
She has nice short cannon bones and a nice amount of bone plus the warmblood in her should add a bit more suspension and jazz to the resulting foaly's paces.
Overall you could get a lovely athletic eventing type foal with the warmblood scope and suspension in the paces to do the business for dressage.
Sin é mo smuintí (there're my thoughts in Irish!!)
Good luck she is a lovely looking lady all in all nothing too seriously wrong lookin in her xx

Springs

Visit site
Have a look at Springfield Symphony, TB with a bit of ID. He has a great Temprement and an amazing jump (His rider thinks the world of him and his abilities).

He will be at the Bramham Stallion Parade on Friday or you can see him out competeing or at hannahs if you want to.:)

SueBrowne

Visit site
I would have to recommend Mill Law, he is the right height for you, does not throw chestnuts and has the most amazing temperament. He is proven himself and his offspring are doing amazingly. We have just had a fab weekend with two of ours, with our 6yr old Sugar Shack Mill upgrading to intermediate following a win at Bishop Burton, she is now on 25 points and our 5yr old Pebble Mill blitzed the BYEH qualifier at Hambleden winning by 8 marks.