event training for amateurs

VRIN

Visit site
I was just reading a thread on the BE event forum about training for amateurs and thought it would be interesting to get some feeback from this forum.

this is a link to the actual thread http://www.britisheventing.com/messages.asp?topicid=647&section=0001000100340001

Basically the poster was finding it difficult to find a good eventing trainer. To quote 'loads of dressage, sj trainers but not many people who understand eventing.'

She also added (and something that I have also found..) there are plenty of people who are happy to take your money for a lesson but are never interested in how you did at a comp, come with you to walk a course, help you to make a plan to get from a-b (even when you are prepared to pay for their time)....

The writer was suggesting that BE should think about developing trainers who a) are able to train amateurs (specifically for eventing) and b) who want to train people at intro and pre nov.

Given the comments on riding standards at the lower levels its all very relevant.

What are other peoples thoughts or do most people have access to a really good trainer, in which case could we compile a list by region or area?

VRIN

Visit site
I signed myself up for one of their courses but it was cancelled due to lack of interest!

VRIN

Visit site
I didn't think they offered on going coaching I thought it was just occasional workshops

kerilli

Visit site
why not find a local-ish event rider and go to them for lessons, and then try to compete at events where they are, so they can walk the course with you, help you warm up for dr and sj if their times allow, etc etc. that's what i did, and what i have done and will do for other people.

connie1288

Visit site
Where abouts are you, Caroline Moore offers everything that you are after, she has walked both SJ and XC with me, helps me plan my season and makes every effort she can to help me. I travel 2 1/2 hrs to have lessons with her.

VRIN

Visit site
I am in lancashire. Had looked at Caroline Moore from Coachingdt site but she is in the midlands.. any recommendations for lancs?

diggerbez

Visit site
ditto Vrin's request- i'm in lancs too and when i start my 4 year old out XC i really want some top class help with that so i don't do it wrong.....i have a top BD and BSJA trainer for other disciplines so would like to continue with a decent trainer for XC. the person who i had had in mind (may he rest in peace) was ian olding...so i'm stumped too....

SpottedCat

Visit site
Coaching DT specifically DOES do all that - we were told to contact any of the coaches for help on the course I went on, and I have been in touch with Caroline over email. They are also present at all CCI* and CCI** events providing free help and course walks, which is pretty amazing I think.

I train on and off with Bill Levett and he has helped me plan my season and will always give me a word of advice at events, he's super.

SpottedCat

Visit site
He's Chipping Campden I think - North Gloucestershire way, reasonably near Broadway etc - all his contact details are in the BE accredited trainer section of the rule book.

FAB_FERN

Visit site
I did BE training at Kelsall after the recent event there. That was with Richard Carruthers. He was brilliant, got me jumping things I never thought I would.
There are piccies on here somewhere.

bigbluebird13

Visit site
I'd recommend Richard too. I started going to him after an EHOA clinic (another good source of training!). It's bit of a drive for me being on Cumbrian border but well worth it. He's built my confidence no end, albeit with a few
shocked.gif
in there! As he's done TA, organising, designing as well as competing he can offer advice from all angles.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Look on the accredited trainer list which forms part of the BE rule book? It is on the BE website if you are not a member and dont have a rule book
smile.gif

KatB

Visit site
Brook Staples and Jeanette Breakwell are Uttoxeter direction, so not a million miles away from you. If you get a good trained and stick with them, they should show an interest anyway
smile.gif

VRIN

Visit site
mmm.. have been with my sj trainer for four years now ... gives 110% in lessons but has ZERO interest in what you are doing ..

diggerbez

Visit site
hmmm. RC could be one for me to ring then....does he do most of his teaching at kelsall then?

Vrin- out of interest who do you SJ with? my trainer is lancs and is brill and takes loads of interest in shows and oftn comes and helps me work in and whatever...

yeeharider

Visit site
have encouraged 3 liveries from sj into eventing offer course walking and fitness training/sj training as needed dressage needs an outside trainer but we are getting there placed every time out last season looking forward to this season

seabiscuit

Visit site
Hear hear. have had enough of trainers that are just not remotely interested in you or what you are doing-once I paid for my trainer ( at the time) to travel all the way to a three day event abroad with me, as I was a kid at the time. Trainer did not offer a single word of advice and did nothing but have a good laugh and drink with friends. It was like trying to squeeze water out of a stone. Said trainer also gave me a lift back from an event once and did not even ask or show any interest in how the event had gone. Dont know why I kept on with that person but really had no self confidence and trainer did nothing to help it.

But have moved up North now so the hunt is on to find a trainer that is as comitted as I am to my eventing and actually cares about how we do!

It is the be all and end all- if the trainer is interested and totally passionate about their pupils success, then that will give them the confidence to succeed. If the trainer doesnt care, well then the pupils not going to think he is much good!

yeeharider

Visit site
where in the north are you following a crash last year steeplechasing not sure if i am gonna event again but can certainly point you in the right direction have ridden to adv standard but not accredited

Thistle

Visit site
Have you moved again OB or is it all North to you here, even though we think we are south/east.

Try Caroline Moore or Nick Turner (Nick is really busy though)

ihatework

Visit site
It is very difficult to get the balance right I agree.

As a truely amateur rider, with just 1 young horse that I am trying to produce myself I have to say I am very lucky to be in a position to be able to afford the training I have, it all adds up considerably and a couple of years back I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I go regularly to a pure dressage trainer - I do this because I love her method of teaching and I have to say I haven't met an 'eventer' that really inspires me in the dressage.

On top of this I have just been to the Taylors at ALW and plan to spend a weekend there every quarter, however they are busy people so I couldn't really expect them to take that much interest in my continued coaching/development.

What I hope I have found though is a local pro/semi-pro who has ridden at advanced and has a number of young horses being produced through the ranks, she has been riding mine and giving me lots of advice. She may compete him a bit but she is also telling me which comps she will be at so that I can compete him while she is there too.

The other thing I would say is don't underestimate the benefits of some riding clubs, we have some super event trainers give group clinics at reasonable prices, Richard Waygood is a regular and we are hoping to get Nick Turner too

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you moved again OB or is it all North to you here, even though we think we are south/east.

Try Caroline Moore or Nick Turner (Nick is really busy though)

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL !! No, I havent moved- and yes I consider this area 'North'....hahaha!! Sorry- should be south east, but Hampshire was south east as well, and it feels like I am soooo far from there now!
tongue.gif

Thank you for the trainer tip, will try those as soon as I have my new saddles ( arriving next week, then my training begins! )

seabiscuit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
where in the north are you following a crash last year steeplechasing not sure if i am gonna event again but can certainly point you in the right direction have ridden to adv standard but not accredited

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, apparently I am in the south east, I'm not in the North ( although I thought I was !)
tongue.gif
I am Suffolk area. Thank you for offering to help tho!
grin.gif