Eventers - the serious danger of unfixed portable fences...

kerilli

Visit site
I don't want to be alarmist, but I think this is something we all need to be aware of. Recently there have been a few rather horrible-looking incidents and falls at unfixed portables. No injuries, very fortunately. Pictures at: http://www.eventsphotos.co.uk/

Photo Sales, Carousel XC Burnham Market 6 March 2011 camera 2

class 5 Intermediate page 1 bay at bottom of page.

class 5 intermediate page 3 row 3

class 6 open page 3 row 4

This recent article, written before these latest falls, goes some way to describing the very real danger of unfixed portables:
http://eventingnation.com/home/2011/02/eventings-honor-roll-the-one-list-you-dont-want-to-be-on.html

There seems to be some confusion, apparently the fence judge at the corner which flipped up (and which apparently had done the same thing the week before when another rider's horse left a leg at it) said that it's safer if it moves if the horse hits it.... Eeeeeek. Nooooo!
There is a HUGE difference between an unfixed (or incorrectly fixed) portable, and a fence which is supposed to collapse such as a deformable fence (e.g. ProLog), or a fence with frangible pins - these always move safely, controllably, downwards. An unfixed portable, hit at the front, pivots UPWARDS. (this can be seen clearly in the photos).
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that a horse who is making a mess of jumping, say, a 2'9" high fence is not going to make a better job of it if that fence suddenly becomes 3'9" high as it rotates. No horse on earth could manage to clear it if that happens, it's like 'rapping' the horse with a solid fence moving with him... and most of us think that 'rapping' with just a sj pole is unfair, and dangerous.
Fences which drop can and do prevent rotationals, they literally lower the pivot point of the horse, and in many cases the horse just collapses, upright, on top of the jump rather than rotating over the top of it. Far safer. Fences which RISE as the horse hits them can be lethal, literally, as described in that article. Perhaps it wasn't the sole cause of the accident in every case but it was a factor in every one of those fatal falls.

The competition where these rotations of unfixed portables happened was at a BE venue, but a non-BE competition. I cannot work out one good reason why an experienced Organiser (and this one is VERY experienced) would not fix portables down whenever they are positioned to be jumped. To only do so when specifically required to do so by the governing body of the competition s/he is running - both PC and BE stipulate that portables MUST be securely fixed - seems... erm, I'll say lackadaisical, for want of a better word. A serious oversight. I sincerely hope the lesson has been learnt and that they'll always be properly fixed down from now on, for schooling, unaff, and aff.

This article is enlightening too: http://useventing.com/resources/files/docs/Staking_Article_Builders_Forum_Issue3_09.pdf

A very experienced Course Designer told me that the majority of the fatalities over the years in our sport have been at let-up fences, at fences which they believed the riders did not respect.
A small portable fence would fit into that category - it's not big and imposing and impressive, to either horse or rider.

So, PLEASE everyone, CHECK portables when you go XC Schooling, and to Unaff competitions. Just because they are small does NOT mean they are safe... quite the opposite. Don't assume that they're safe to jump - if they aren't fixed down absolutely securely, question it, quote that article if necessary, explain about the 'rapping with a xc fence' analogy, and do whatever you can to get it done before you risk yours and your horse's necks...

Last edited:

MiaBella

Visit site
Totally agree with what you have written and this goes through to other fences jumped as training such as barrels. Always make sure barrels are well wedged in, my friend broke her back when her horse got a dodgy stride and bashed the barrels. One rolled with him and he just couldn't get his legs out of the way of the barrel - one crashing fall.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Wow, that open one looks horrendous. Out of interest, how do you secure these portables? Surely with the weight of a horse on them, they could easily rip any stakes out of the ground etc.?

Leg_end

Visit site
Jesus - that last open one is horrific :( I think the first intermediate one I'm sure is a HHO'er... to not have secured the fence at all but even after 1 fall is ridiculous and seriously unsafe :(

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I have to say though the organisers did safety checks and the owners confirmed these were all in the correctly fixed state and wouldn't allow changes to be made

AnShanDan

Visit site
Yes, unfortunately I have all too often seen unfixed portables being used in competitions. One of the local pony clubs around here used to use them like that all the time!!! Including a hexagonal skinny which was upright and just an accident waiting to happen.

We have a few and when they first arrived and were lying in the field one of my kids jumped one on his 13hh pony. This was a big, solidly built roll top, I couldn't move it on my own. The pony hit it and it moved right under him. Luckily no harm was done, but they were fixed down right away.

It is a hassle fixing them for a hunter trial tho', you have to spend quite a while staking them and then removing the stakes is even harder. Easier to use the screw-in type of long metal pegs with ropes. I think that's why you still sometimes see them unsecured.

Couple of years ago I was watching at a BE event water jump; it was a roll top out of the water and someone came round and hit it. The jump flipped and the horse landed on it. I don't know if it was staked at all but obv. it wasn't good enough. Really scary.

Since then I've then I've checked every portable to make sure it is fixed right down.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Okay, I'm usually of the "eventing is a risky sport, manage your risks but don't forget that" school, but the Open sequence makes me feel ill. I would hazard a guess, if the horse or rider were seriously injured they might even have a court case to contend with over something like that.

We can't teach horses to jump solid fences and then not make them solid, it's not fair.

I know lots of things have been done since time immemorial but that doesn't always make them safe or even a good idea. We don't build fences with trailing rails or hogs back-type profiles anymore and we don't top bankable fences with plywood because the problems they caused didn't come from a valid xc test, they came from asking the horse a question it couldn't possibly answer.

I do wonder if it's an economic issue. Is this one of those things that explains the discrepancy between affiliated and unaffiliated events . . . .

Fairy Dust

Visit site
Thanks for making us all more aware of this issue, I will be sure to check when walking the course in future. The pics look awful.... thank god no one was hurt :(

kerilli

Visit site
I have to say though the organisers did safety checks and the owners confirmed these were all in the correctly fixed state and wouldn't allow changes to be made

Seriously? But I cannot see how those fences can possibly be properly fixed down.
The second article I linked to stressed the importance of fixing the FRONT of the fence down, not the back (otherwise it can still pivot if the front is hit, obviously).
Over the years I've seen a LOT of horses hit a LOT of fences xc at BE and I have NEVER seen an entire fence tip up like the skinny or particularly like that corner. I bet I'm not alone. No way can I believe that that fence was fixed down as well as it ever is for B.E. comps... :O :O :O

TarrSteps, I'm right with you, I acknowledge the risks, but fences like these are a trap, not a test, aren't they? I think it's a TIME issue, so I guess that is economics. :( :( :(
But most people who go to a comp at a BE venue over BE fences expect the fences to be as safe as they are at BE, I believe...

MiaBella, I agree, I don't use metal barrels any more for that reason, but even plastic barrels could impede a horse badly and aren't possible to secure 100% in an arena... hmm, food for thought there. Thanks.

Last edited:

louisesb

Visit site
OMG - that Open horse fall sequence is appalling! Hope and prey they were both ok. How on earth could a fence like that not be secured down - absolutely disgraceful! Surely if there was a major accident, they could sue - this was clearly not a well built course with fences like that on it (by this I mean the fences are adequate, but the way they're fixed into position is not). Really makes you think - I for one will be checking far more carefully next time I do xc - thanks for hi-lighting this Kerilli - certainly gives food for thought.

Gamebird

Visit site
Out of interest K what about when XC fences are used in an arena? Most of the winter all-weather XC/eventer-trial type competitions use solid XC fences and I cannot remember seeing these fixed down - surely it would wreck their membrane etc. or the arena surface wouldn't be solid enough to hold a peg?

Saratoga

Visit site
I remember going to the festival of the hunter a good few years ago now, and the 5th fence was a box corner, like a piece of trivial pursuit cheese. It caused LOADS of falls all day, and by the time i went (on my thankfully VERY careful mare) there was a hole in the front of the corner where a horse had put it's leg through it at some point, but they were still using it. It wasn't fixed to the ground, and must have been turned over a dozen times through the day.

lannerch

Visit site
thanks for the alert kerilli I was blissfully unaware of the possible risk before your post.

The open fall in particular is horrendous particularly as it seems to me the horse does not make a big mistake and only just misjudges it, with dire consequences that could have been a lot worse!
If it had been fixed I expect he would of clanked it but scraped over horse and rider remaining safe and intact.
Will have my eyes wide open from now on :)

Woodykat

Visit site
Thanks for making us all more aware of this issue, I will be sure to check when walking the course in future. The pics look awful.... thank god no one was hurt :(

Ditto this

I compete regularly at the venue Jade was sadly killed (first article) and it has really brought things home to me - Next time I walk the course I shall be doing it with fresh eyes. I have to admit though, it has made me wonder whether I would risk competing there again anyway, not just because of Jade (I've been there many times since then) but the fact that I'm pretty sure a lot of the fences aren't fixed properly (of course I will have a chat with the owners to see what the situation is with this, they might be fixed, it's only fair to ask).

I shall definately be checking jumps from now on! Thanks Kerilli :)

Trolt

Visit site
At a non-BE comp, or something run by the PC. Who designs the course and whose responsibility is it to check the course and the fences?

Just knowing where the pictures are from, and who owns the course ... I can't believe anything would be left that is dangerous if it was the owners who designed/organised the course?

sw123

Visit site
It is something that people should be aware of and I know of fence builders/course builders who will only supply portables (to events and private people) with pins to be pinned in and then if the owners will not let them secure them have them sign a form to remove their liability from them being incorrectly fixed.

I am very careful to check they're fixed properly as those pics show they can cause very nasty accidents

TarrSteps

Visit site
Out of interest K what about when XC fences are used in an arena? Most of the winter all-weather XC/eventer-trial type competitions use solid XC fences and I cannot remember seeing these fixed down - surely it would wreck their membrane etc. or the arena surface wouldn't be solid enough to hold a peg?

I think this IS a bit of an issue but you have to admit the situation is quite different. No one is going the sorts of speeds they would be outside, just because of space, the horses are "set up" showjumping and riders tend to ride (and the horses to jump) even the xc portion similarly for reasons ranging from the fact that people are watching to differences in arousal level etc, they're on surface, everything is just more controlled and contained. So yes, it CAN - and did, at least once - happen, it's just a lot less likely to happen.

Plus, it's a bit like asking why we should wear seatbelts in cars when people don't wear seatbelts on motorcycles. Because we can. ;) If they can't be staked inside, they can't. Then it comes down to fence design and yes, rider choice. But if I've jumped (and my horse has jumped) a whole bunch of fixed fences then one that looks EXACTLY the same, isn't fixed . . . I don't think that's a fair question to ask a horse, especially if we don't have to.

Last edited:

tigers_eye

Visit site
I was at an event here in Belgium 8 years ago and the same happened at a picnic bench in a field. The horse hit the front side of the table part and the whole thing turned over, flipping the horse on to his rider and parelysing (sp?) the rider who was probably one of the most talented event riders in the country. I wonder how easy it is to really secure portables in very sandy going though?

TGM

Visit site
I know that a couple of years ago a girl was killed in what the papers described as an 'indoor cross country event' - however, I don't know full details of what happened and whether an unfixed portable was involved.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I was at an event here in Belgium 8 years ago and the same happened at a picnic bench in a field. The horse hit the front side of the table part and the whole thing turned over, flipping the horse on to his rider and parelysing (sp?) the rider who was probably one of the most talented event riders in the country. I wonder how easy it is to really secure portables in very sandy going though?

Picnic benches - old style standards on xc courses - used to be famous for it. I also saw a horse stick its leg through the front of one once . . . :(

Of course, we also used to jump the ones in the park, too.:rolleyes:

Which, by the way, made us colossal idiots.

kerilli

Visit site
Picnic benches - old style standards on xc courses - used to be famous for it. I also saw a horse stick its leg through the front of one once . . . :(

Of course, we also used to jump the ones in the park, too.:rolleyes:

Which, by the way, made us colossal idiots.

Yep, me too. Didn't know any better... not a great excuse. Now I do, so I don't jump things like that... I used to jump metal sheep feeders too, when I was 10 and excessively ignorant. Got away with it, never touched one. Good pony.
They used to build 'shark's teeth' fences with wooden 1/2-rounds forming closed Vs at the bottom. I jumped oodles of them at HTs and when I started eventing. Then a horse somewhere got its foot stuck in the V of one, with horrible consequences. They don't build them like that any more. Same problem - decorative huge stones, almost touching, along the baseline of a fence at a foreign 3* caused a catastrophic injury to a fof's horse.
Lots of other examples like that over the years, I could go on and on. The fact is, accidents happen, and hopefully we all learn from them, or at least those with the responsibility for building the fences and the courses learn from them, and that particular problem is removed. Sometimes it's not until it all goes horribly wrong that we see that it can. :( :( :( that's horses for you.

GB, I see your point but I agree with TS, 'xc type fences in an arena' are not generally jumped like true xc jumps. I don't see any tricking of the horses. Some places do anchor them down, I accept that some places can't.

MagicMelon, the portables are supposed to be fixed down, at the FRONT, with big screw-in metal stake things. I don't know how easy they are to put into, or remove from sandy ground, hard ground, boggy ground, or whatever, but it has to be worth the time and effort.
I'd love to know how those fences were secured, if indeed they were.
I hope it didn't get to that awful point of 'we daren't change it now because if we do, we're admitting that it was wrong before, so laying ourselves open to criticism or worse' which is a terrible human failing imho. getting it wrong isn't great, but getting it wrong AGAIN is far worse...

Tigers_eye, I didn't know that. that's absolutely awful.

Lolo

Visit site
Every person involved in those falls (despite where the photos are, all were in the 90cm class) was a reasonably experienced rider, and the pony who had the worst fall (the pony at the corner) is a very experienced old-timer who's done it all before. They all walked away with no damage other than a sore arm and shaken nerves.

I have a very long-distance video of the first time the skinny toppled (the bay who toppled it, with the rider in dark blue with bright pink stars is my sister) if anyone is interested. You can't make out much, but it does show how quickly the accident occurred. He hit the fence, and it went straight over rather than slowly toppling as it looks a bit in the photos. The whole incident took less than 3 seconds.

It did make me think about how a compromise really needs to be reached for solid XC fences. Whilst you don't want them to topple EVER, and in the case of the pallisade skinnies shown it definitely hindered rather than helped the horses, in the sequence of photos of the corner being jumped a full-on rotational was avoided because the pony was 'rolled' towards the ground, giving the jockey time to be ejected over his head. Maybe food for thought for fence designers- a fence which does 'crumble' when hit hard? Not sure though... The corner was kept in the course (a very similar accident occurred the previous week over the same fence, only I don't know if the person would be okay with me posting the fb link to the sequence of photos...).

On a different note, the venue holders are usually very very careful about ensuring high standards of safety- my mum is secretary for the club hosting the event and we've held this hunter trial every year for over 10 years and this is the first year where there have been any accidents. I have personally collided with the fences at high speeds going downhill and they haven't even moved (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1176628462976&set=a.1077314420187.2014065.1446041645&theater - photo sequence of said collision...). The ground was fairly soft, which might account for the pegs coming out potentially?

Gamebird

Visit site
I think this IS a bit of an issue but you have to admit the situation is quite different. No one is going the sorts of speeds they would be outside, just because of space, the horses are "set up" showjumping and riders tend to ride (and the horses to jump) even the xc portion similarly for reasons ranging from the fact that people are watching to differences in arousal level etc, they're on surface, everything is just more controlled and contained. So yes, it CAN - and did, at least once - happen, it's just a lot less likely to happen.

Plus, it's a bit like asking why we should wear seatbelts in cars when people don't wear seatbelts on motorcycles. Because we can. ;) If they can't be staked inside, they can't. Then it comes down to fence design and yes, rider choice. But if I've jumped (and my horse has jumped) a whole bunch of fixed fences then one that looks EXACTLY the same, isn't fixed . . . I don't think that's a fair question to ask a horse, especially if we don't have to.

Just wondering really. I jumped a solid wooden corner like the one in the pics at an arena XC at the weekend - PN dimensions and needed a forklift to put it in place so a few sandbags wouldn't have held it down. I don't think I jumped it particularly slowly, but then I'd almost always come back a couple of gears and set up for a corner on a XC course too.

Someone at the same event had a stop at a skinny half rolltop where the horse put its front legs over then pulled back, rotating the fence with it. I can't decide in that situation whether it was better for the horse or not that the fence moved.

ps. another closet park bench jumper here too :eek:. I also jumped round bales - not side on (HORRIFICALLy dangerous if they roll) but through the V created when two were put together side by side ready to be collected.

kerilli

Visit site
It did make me think about how a compromise really needs to be reached for solid XC fences. Whilst you don't want them to topple EVER, and in the case of the pallisade skinnies shown it definitely hindered rather than helped the horses, in the sequence of photos of the corner being jumped a full-on rotational was avoided because the pony was 'rolled' towards the ground, giving the jockey time to be ejected over his head. Maybe food for thought for fence designers- a fence which does 'crumble' when hit hard? Not sure though... The corner was kept in the course (a very similar accident occurred the previous week over the same fence, only I don't know if the person would be okay with me posting the fb link to the sequence of photos...).

On a different note, the venue holders are usually very very careful about ensuring high standards of safety- my mum is secretary for the club hosting the event and we've held this hunter trial every year for over 10 years and this is the first year where there have been any accidents. I have personally collided with the fences at high speeds going downhill and they haven't even moved (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1176628462976&set=a.1077314420187.2014065.1446041645&theater - photo sequence of said collision...). The ground was fairly soft, which might account for the pegs coming out potentially?

I agree with that point about the venue holders, was just thinking about it while schooling actually, and last year at BM Talavera's horse hit a rolltop skinny in the Novice just the way the horse jumping the corner did, got way too close and left his knees down and absolutely 'wore' it on the way up, and that skinny didn't move an inch... and the horse STAYED ON HIS FEET, and miraculously L stayed on him too, and went on to get placed.
So, I totally disagree that the corner turning upward like that helped the horse in any way, or prevented a rotational... it's amazing how horses CAN save themselves sometimes, from a point where it looks as if they're going to fall... (there was a sequence of about 8 photos, i'll see whether i can find them), as long as the fence doesn't move (or, only moves downwards in the case of a deformable etc). btw the skinny roll top would have been 6" higher than that corner, if not more... so, i don't think that bay would necessarily have fallen if the corner hadn't moved.
so, i know that usually their fences are amazingly well anchored (for BE events anyway, i've never been to unaff there), this wasn't supposed to be a witch-hunt, it was supposed to alert all riders to this really, wherever they go...
i can't see any pegs on the front of the corner once it's turned, shouldn't i be able to, if they were there?

Lolo

Visit site
I agree with that point about the venue holders, was just thinking about it while schooling actually, and last year at BM Talavera's horse hit a rolltop skinny in the Novice just the way the horse jumping the corner did, got way too close and left his knees down and absolutely 'wore' it on the way up, and that skinny didn't move an inch... and the horse STAYED ON HIS FEET, and miraculously L stayed on him too, and went on to get placed.
So, I totally disagree that the corner turning upward like that helped the horse in any way, or prevented a rotational... it's amazing how horses CAN save themselves sometimes, from a point where it looks as if they're going to fall... (there was a sequence of about 8 photos, i'll see whether i can find them), as long as the fence doesn't move (or, only moves downwards in the case of a deformable etc). btw the skinny roll top would have been 6" higher than that corner, if not more... so, i don't think that bay would necessarily have fallen if the corner hadn't moved.
so, i know that usually their fences are amazingly well anchored (for BE events anyway, i've never been to unaff there), this wasn't supposed to be a witch-hunt, it was supposed to alert all riders to this really, wherever they go...
i can't see any pegs on the front of the corner once it's turned, shouldn't i be able to, if they were there?

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with me or not, because I'm trying to say almost identical things to you only in a different way with different experiences... I've seen the awful sequence in question- true heart-in-mouth stuff and I have no idea how her horse managed to save himself. The corner in question is only 90cm, so most fences in a Novice course will definitely be bigger!

I was just trying to say to people who'll read this and see the photos that we have never had any problems there before, in case they were put off going which would be a shame as the courses they set out are usually lovely.

kerilli

Visit site
ha, a bit of both i guess... supporting the venue, because i agree that their courses etc are usually lovely, but disagreeing about the corner fence turning being the reason the horse didn't have a rotational, that's all. but, it's all speculation, i know!